I did it!!!! I applied for college!

by MoeJoJoJo 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Carmel
    Carmel

Good on ya! Moe! You'll love chemistry and I'll betcha, after two years you'll want to keep on goin! Once the mind kicks into gear, it wants more and more! When you get to Organic and Qualitative and Quantitative Analysis, you'll be in hog heaven!!

carm

• mouthy
    mouthy

So happy for you Mo Jo!!!! Rock on!!!!

• Scully
    Scully

MoJoJoJo!!

I'm so thrilled for you!! Lab Technology is a really hard discipline to get into and very demanding... I studied it myself for a couple of years in the early 80s right out of high school - and you had to have awesome marks and pass an entrance exam and go for an interview with the professors before they would accept your application. (This was in Quebec and I'm sure the criteria have relaxed to open the profession up to more people in the 20 or so years since then.)

It was one of the most fascinating learning experiences I've ever had! Back then, we had to make our own slides to view under the microscope and dye them ourselves - we were expected to cut specimens properly and compare them to "control" models that were already prepared.

Please keep us posted on your progress! Feel free to send a PM if I can answer any questions for you.

Love, Scully

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Congatulations and the best of luck to ya!!!

Devon

• blondie
    blondie

Good for you, mojo. I too returned to school in my 30's. Don't let those young whippersnappers intimidate you. You will find that life experience and practice in disciplining yourself to keep a schedule and learn on the job will put you way ahead of the pack. I found study groups helpful too.

Blondie

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Congrats Moe It can be done. Just keep at it. These programs are great at getting you prepared to get out there and work

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

Thanx everyone! mouthy, lee, blondie(maybe I'll intimidate them-just a little), devon...

scully, I'm going to love the labs, I'll have a chemistry, biology and cltec lab. I didn't have to interview with the professors but my gpa was pretty darn good in high school and hopefully I'll do well with everything...I know I'll apply myself more than I did in h.s. I'll be pm-ing you with any homework questions

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Yay!!!! You're going to loooove it! In my opinion, it's easier to focus on your studies once you're past the "bloom of youth", and you tend to get more from your classes. Congratulations, and have fun!

• MoeJoJoJo
    MoeJoJoJo

don't want to miss anyone...thanks winston-it does feel great; carmel (it all sounds interesting); thanks franklin & jade for the well wishes!

The one class that has me a little worried is the communication class I have to take for one semester. It involves making five-to-ten minute speeches to the class. You would think that with all of the years of public speaking at meetings and field service, that this class should be a breeze...that's what I'm hoping, anyways.

• talesin
    talesin

MoeJoJoJo

Good on ya!! School is so-o-o-o much better the second time around, imo.

As far as the last bit, I found that the KMS came in handy. We learned how to put together a 5-6 minute talk really well. You'll be miles ahead and this should be a 'bird course' for you. It's good to know that all those evenings spent at the KH will prove of some benefit in RL, that it was not just 'time wasted'. At least, that's how I feel; we did learn some awsome study habits.

I found that the younger students were mostly admiring of my returning to school and were eager to include me in study groups, etc. Also, the profs found it easier to relate to another 'adult' and were very helpful to me.

You'll do well, I'm sure.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit