Cast your vote: Is Jehovah a Myth?

by frankiespeakin 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Perhaps with good intentions, the limited mind attempts to know what it can not know by creating anthropomorphic deities, of which there are many. These creatures created in the image and likeness of man it labels "God", or more specifically "Jehovah". Deities have absolutely nothing to do with the true and infinite Source of all things; as intellectualizing a meal, has little to do with the reality and endless nuances of actually experiencing the enjoyment of eating a meal. A deity is only a concept, an idea, a mental engraven image which actually steers us away from the presence of what we seek. God, is not intellectually knowable as things are knowable. It is too close, present, vibrant and vast to be captured by the mind. However, It can be lived. But only here; and only now. j

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

unfortunately yes the deity YHWH is no more real than the Baals.

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

What the problem with this question is: he was REAL for a long time of my life! So i don't know if Jehovah could be a myth or not.

• Valis
    Valis
    he was REAL for a long time of my life! So i don't know if Jehovah could be a myth or not.

tell that to the Romans! *LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Min,

What the problem with this question is: he was REAL for a long time of my life! So i don't know if Jehovah could be a myth or not.

I agree it took me about 3 years being out of the borg to finally come to that conclusion that he is just a tired old myth soon to be forgoten by men, for alas the "seen if the world is changing".

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I vote for "Fart Cloud"

• Sirius Dogma
    Sirius Dogma

Another point of view about Jehovah God per Douglas Adams... the story of the babel fish.

The Babel Fish

(Excerpt from "The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams)

The Babel fish... is small, yellow and leech-like, and probably the oddest thing in the Universe. It feeds on brainwave energy received not from its own carrier but from those around it. It absorbs all unconscious ental frequencies from this brainwave frequencies from this brainwave energy to nourish itself. It then excretes into the mind of its carrier a telepathic matrix formed by combining the conscious thought frequencies with nervesignals picked up from the speech centres of the brain which has supplied them.

The practical upshot of all this is that if you stick a Babel fish in your ear you can instantly understand anything said to you in any form of language. The speech patterns you actually hear decode the brainwave matrix which has been fed into your mind by your Babel fish.

Now it is such a bizarrely improbably coincidence that anything so mindbogglingly useful could have evolved by chance that some thinkers have chosen to see it as a final and clinching proof of the non-existence of God.

The argument goes something like this: "I refuse to prove that I exist," says God, "for proof denies faith, and without faith I am nothing."

"But," says Man, "the Babel fish is a dead giveaway isn't it? It could not have evolved by chance. It proves you exist, and so therefore, by your own argument, you don't. QED."

"Oh dear," says God, "I hadn't thought of that," and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic.

"Oh, that was easy," says Man, and for an encore goes on to prove that black is white and gets himself killed on the next zebra crossing.

Most leading theologians claim that this argument is a load of dingo's kidneys, but that didn't stop Oolon Colluphid making a small fortune when he used it as the central theme of his best-selling book Well That About Wraps It Up For God.

Meanwhile, the poor Babel fish, by effectively removing all barriers to communication between different races and cultures, has caused more and bloodier wars than anything else in the history of creation.

(From the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, by Douglas Adams, first published 1979, Pan Books Ltd.)

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

No -- not a myth - -I believe he exists -- his name is not Jehovah though --

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Is Bob Squarepants a Sponge?

• mineralogist
    mineralogist

So we all know the answer is 42 (btw it is my personal number) But what exactly was the question? Today i'd say there is no god, i just begin my enquiry from the beginning

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit