Answers please regarding wts Armageddon predictions......

by Frantic 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Frantic
    Frantic

about a month and a bit ago, there were rumours floating around here that 2034 or 2036 was the new wts date for armageddon. Is this true or false? If true, is there a source? Thankyou kindly.
    Frantically Insane Andy.

• blondie
    blondie

Frantic, alll it is in a supposition based on a WT article recently that discussed the correlation between Noah's day of preaching and destruction and the time of the end today as the WTS teaches. Noah/humankind was given 120 years in Genesis 6:3 to shape up. It gave Noah time to have children, for them to grow up and help him build the ark. If you consider 1914 as the time humankind was given to "shape up" (ALTHOUGH THE WT SAID NOTHING LIKE THIS), and count out 120 years you come to 2034. Does the WTS make this correlation directly, NO. 2034 is 30 years in the future. Will the WTS make this correllation, only time will tell. The dating of 1972/1975 being the end of 6,000 years of human history was known for at least 50 years before 1966 when the WTS started promoting 1975. Perhaps the WTS will wait until 9 years before 2034, 2025.

A more damning change in WTS prophecies in the unhinging of the 1914 generation age span as a determination that we are in the time of the end. The generation now can be someone 12 or 13 or 35 or 36 or 55 which means that the end of the generation is very fluid. It gives a different meaning to the expression the end is near, soon very soon now.

Blondie

• dustyb
    dustyb

i suggest that they indirectly hinted towards it. they said that like noah's days, our last days started in 1914 (recent watchtower magazine, stupid garbage). then they said noah had 120 years to prepare. then they said we are 90 years into the 120 years. its really stupid, but thats what they said.

• Farkel
    Farkel

blondie,

: Noah/humankind was given 120 years in Genesis 6:3 to shape up. It gave Noah time to have children, for them to grow up and help him build the ark.

Interestly enough, Gen 6 explicitly stated that God was going to kill all of mankind except Noah and his family. He then said that would happen in 120 years. Contrary to what dubs believe, there was no indication that Noah was instructed to convince people to clean up their act before the Flood in order to get saved.

God had doomed in advance all people conceived and born during that 120 year period. If one believes the Bible, that is.

Farkel

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

dusty b...

Haven't read the mags for a while now, but any JW that can add and subtract will be looking at the Noah's 120 years and adding it up. 1914 plus 120 years--not to difficult to figure that one...I can imagine they will be losing a few more after this when they think to themselves: only 34 more years of meetings to go (or 56 weeks times 3 meetings per week equals 168 meetings per year times 34 years equals 5712 meetings) Oh boy, it's the countdown now only 5712 meetings to go!

PS>(You'll have to ad your own field service and personal study time to that )...

• Nadsam
    Nadsam

??? but if you add the fall of Jerusalem, and then add a gentile time and a half ubtracted the rise of Christendom and the birth of constantine....don't you get 2004 March 15 !!!!!!!...OH CRAP

Nadsam,,,your friendly neighborhood APOSTATE !

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

Yes, I suppose if you ad the times and the times and the times and half..and then there was the bit about the 2 witnesses that were dead and came alive again and started to preach again in 1918, but of course there weren't actually 2 of them--that 2 symbolized a group of those annointed ones who seem to be getting rather senile now in their old age...

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

or 56 weeks times 3 meetings per week equals 168 meetings per year
    Here in the USA we make do with only 52 weeks per year. That thirteenth month is just too darned unlucky!

• blondie
    blondie
    there was no indication that Noah was instructed to convince people to clean up their act before the Flood in order to get saved.

Of course, you realize, Farkel, that I am merely stating what the WTS teaches and what it says at

2 Peter 2:5 (NWT)and he did not hold back from punishing an ancient world, but kept Noah, a preacher of righteousness, safe with seven others when he brought a deluge upon a world of ungodly people;

but several other translations render it similarly such as,

2 Peter 2:5 (NIV)if he did not spare the ancient world when he brought the flood on its ungodly people, but protected Noah, a preacher of righteousness, and seven others;

That Noah talked to others about what was coming is understood this way in some commentaries

http://www.pbc.org/dp/stedman/2peter/2peter2.html

2:5 DID NOT SPARE THE ANCIENT WORLD: Peter's second example is the flood which came upon the ungodly in Noah's day. He mentions this again in 3:5-6 and also in 1 Peter 3:20. Noah is termed a preacher of righteousness since his righteous life put to shame the licentious neighbors among whom he lived. His building of an ark would certainly have been an occasion for explanation of the coming judgment and an invitation to repent and believe. But his entreaties fell on deaf ears, just as the truth of Christ's atonement fell on the deaf ears of the false teachers of Peter's day. Such indifference to truth brought the ungodly of Noah's world to certain destruction. It fell upon them suddenly and unsparingly, as it will ultimately fall upon any who, in any age, turn their backs upon the saving grace of God.

http://www.marshcommentary.com/commentary/2-pet002.htm

The second example is when God first judged the world with the Flood during Noah's day. The whole world at that time strayed from God. Noah alone with the support of his family communicated with God, obeyed Him, and told others about Him.

I'm sure that other Bible scholars may view it differently. Frantic seemed to be interested in the WTS viewpoint and what might be current official understanding in regard to 2034 regarding Genesis 6:3.

Blondie

• Farkel
    Farkel

Blondie,

: The second example is when God first judged the world with the Flood during Noah's day. The whole world at that time strayed from God. Noah alone with the support of his family communicated with God, obeyed Him, and told others about Him.

: I'm sure that other Bible scholars may view it differently. Frantic seemed to be interested in the WTS viewpoint and what might be current official understanding in regard to 2034 regarding Genesis 6:3.

Forget what "Bible scholars" said and what later Bible authors said, the actual story written long before those apologists is quite specific:

"Consequently Jehovah saw that the badness of man was abundant in the earth and every inclination of the thoughts of his heart was only bad all the time. And Jehovah felt regrets that he had made men in the earth, and he felt hurt in his heart......" STOP the tape, for a second, folks!

At this point, God was "hurt" because men were apparently jerks. Well, men are STILL jerks! Get used to it, God! We are jerks!

Your average "hurt" God who is all-loving would find a way to fix the problem with the least amount of damage, right? Your average "hurt" God would do something like give massive doses of Prozac or an even better dose of "God meds," right? NO!

Jehovah is not your average beneficent God. Here is what he decides to do (he must not like pharmacies nor natural cures for people who just ain't right.)

"So Jehovah said: I am going to wipe men whom I have created off the surface of the ground, from man to domestic animal, to moving animal and to flying creature of the heavens, because I do regreate that I have made them."

This was stated in Genesis 6:5. HOWEVER, in Genesis 6:3, just two verses earlier, Jehovah stated that he would do all of this 120 years after he said he would do all of this:

" After that Jehovah said: my spirit shall not act toward man indefinitely in that he is also flesh. Accordingly his days shall amount to a hundred and twenty years."

Jehovah was pissed off that angels came down and had sex with human women. That might give some indication what it was like to live in Jehovah's world. Angels had no sex and obviously, some of them wanted it. Jehovah is such a prankster!

But the point is Jehovah set a time table of 120 years ag Gen 6:3 and at Gen 6:5 said he was going to kill all but Noah and family at the end of that time.

Genesis provides no foundation nor not a shred of evidence that Noah nor any of his family was to "warn" anyone else nor "preach" to any one else in order to save them.

Only later was it hinted that mankind had the least bit of a chance in Noah's time, but the Genesis account has no evidence for that.

It's easy to re-write history. It's done all the time, but the Bible-Based(tm) account of Noah disallowed the possibility of ANY survivors of the Flood, other than Noah and family. And as I said, that included the yet-unborn children during the 120 years from God's pronouncement until that "Great Flood."

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit