ANOTHER CALL TO ACTION: Newspaper ad's?

by 2escaped lifers 27 Replies latest jw friends

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

I have been thinking about this for a while, and a couple recent events here on the board have solidified my thinking. First, seattleniceguy's triumph with the UN posting a letter regarding the WTS affiliation with the UN. Way to go! It just shows that with a little combined effort we can accomplish alot. Second, someone posted recently asking about the schedule for the summer conventions, and it planted a little idea in my head.

Now, before I mention the idea, let me give a little background behind my thought process on this idea. First, who is it that we want to reach with the message that the WTS is a dangerous cult. That's easy, existing members who we want to help out, and possible future members whom we want to warn "stay away!". So, basically, this includes every human on the face of the planet. The problem is, though, that the first group, existing JW's, will not listen to us at all, because we are "apostates". The second group just doesn't have JW or WTS issues on their radar until one shows up at their door - JW's are an afterthought or a joke on Jay Leno to them, so they just don't care. That is, until a co-worker, relative, or publisher on their front porch starts talking to them about Paradise(tm).

So, how do we get the word out. The Internet is an amazing tool, and has helped possibly tens of thousands of us to see the real truth about the "truth". But you have to be actively LOOKING to find these web sites. Again, the active JW's will not touch the "apostate" web sites. Others, as mentioned before, are simply non-interested, so they most likely won't find these web sites either.

So, how do we more effectively get the existing JW's to at least start questioning their beliefs and the reliability of the WTS, and how do we warn potential "victims" without spending hundreds of millions of dollars on Super Bowl or World Cup Soccer television advertising?

Well, here comes my idea: With pooled funds donated by us ex-JW's, we advertise in the largest local newspapers the two weeks surrounding each district convention. We follow the conventions around the US and World with our ad campaign. The ad's could be as simple as something like this:

This weekend there will be XX,000 people gathered in your community who <Insert any of the following>:

Believe you and your children will be murdered by God because you don't go to the Kingdom Hall.

Plan on living in your house and using your things after you and your family are dead.

Used to believe that <vaccinations, sliced bread, aluminum, etc.> were wicked and from the Devil.

Believe that they are the only people on earth who <are approved of by God, have the Truth, show love, etc.>

Protect the anonymity of pedophiles and ignore or threaten the victims.

You see where I am going with these. What does this accomplish? Well, it alerts the community to the arrival of the convention and of their wacky and dangerous beliefs. Secondly, imagine the following conversation at a restaurant after one of the convention days:

JW seated at table: "Hi, we're here for a religious convention and I would like to ask you a question..." as she pulls out a tract.

Waitress: "Oh, are you a Jehovah's Witness. I read something in the paper about you folks. Why did your religion join the UN when you believe its wicked and controlled by Satan?"

It will force the rank and file to start addressing these issues, or at least hearing them for the first time. And each time someone starts asking questions, the WTS armour of secrecy starts cracking.

Well, what do you fine folks think? Looking forward to seeing if we can pull something like this together and start causing the WTS some pain on a large scale (and most importantly, start getting JW's to start questioning things!).

Brandon Bartlett

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Hello Brandon,

I'm interested in the idea of advertisements, but it's tricky to get the tone right. My biggest concern is that we would come across as mean-spirited. I think there are a lot of advertising avenues that could help people, though. I'd like to think more about it on this thread. Unfortunately, I don't have time to write down anything right now. But I'd be interested in hearing more discussion on this!

SNG

• dustyb
    dustyb

advertising in general is a good idea, but its all how its presented. SNGs idea worked so well because he wasn't writing to JW's. so i suggest instead of writing all the negatives, just write the controversials.......i'll list them off once i think of them =D

• avishai
    avishai

How 'bout something short and sweet, "JW pedophiles are required to go door to door to be in good standing. With someone else of course, this person chosen by elders who have no qualifications in psychiatry, and woho are required to cover up child molesting unless the act is watched by two or more people."

• mann377
    mann377

Excellent idea!

The wording and pharse a person uses to convey a message is very important to reach you audience. First it must be relevant to the audience for them to pay attention and read the ad.

Instead of making statements it is good to ask questions that make people think, not just for the witnesses. Such as: Are JW's the only true christians? This will put the WTBS on a no win defense. (If they are then they will insult the audience, if they aren't then what relevance does being a DUB have?)

There are guerrilla warfare tacticts that are very effective in instilling seeds of doubt with those who still have a some thinking ability. I put on my "ricky righteous" attitude and watch the wheels in a persons mind start to move. This is great fun at the ass-embly when you get bored or indignent with the dogma of the WTBS. This is a subject for another time.

• sonofapreacherman
    sonofapreacherman

IMHO, pithy statements have more resonance; such as those used in political campaigns.

Rhetorical questions, such as, ?Which religion believes that 99.9 per cent of mankind will soon perish at God?s hand?? might smooth over the negativity while illustrating a real belief.

On the other hand, witnesses are often associated with those children?s encyclopaedia-like drawings found in Watchtower literature. Perhaps a series of smaller display ads featuring a Watchtower-like drawing + a killer fact (especially about wacky doctrine) would be more effective. While reaching the non-JW crowd, JW kids would most definitely be drawn to these ads.

• 2escaped lifers
    2escaped lifers

Thanks! All very interesting ideas and comments. Keep 'em coming!!!

Brandon

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Hi,

All the advertising in the world won't help an existing member out of the organization unless they are ready to leave. It may help prevent future members but very few of the WT's new members are coming from the public.

Devon

• bebu
    bebu

Or...

Contact the newspapers of the area where the conventions are being held, and email some of these comments to some of their writers? It seems that it's "news" when a KH construction goes up; why not see if a journalist is willing to give a 2-sides report? They can butter up the JWs, and then see if anyone could give answers to certain allegations... We could send the reporters some internet links in advance.

I like the idea of using the conventions as a launch.

Of course, whether by ad or by article, there should be some net links published: freeminds.org, the UN link, etc.etc.

bebu

• 2escaped lifers

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit