PASSION of the Christ

by myownsaviorthankyoumuch 60 Replies latest social entertainment

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I just saw the movie the Passion........and I am just about speechless. I will try to talk about it tomorrow , if I can then. It touched me deeply,,,,,,, I cried from beginning to end. I have never done that in ANY movie before.

For those of you who sent me PM's I will write back tomorrow. I am going to bed now,,,,,,,and do some thinking.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

I saw the movie for the first time today and something about it really made me mad. It wasn't anything on the screen. It was what the people in the audience were doing. Let me just say this, I'm not christian. I really like Jesus. What I don't like, however, is most christians. This movie is just one reason why. There's a part in the movie when Jesus is brutally tortured for about the last hour of the movie. Well I look around the theater at the good christians in the audience and what are they doing when Jesus is getting flogged, beaten, whipped, crucified? They're eating junior mints, m&ms, popcorn and sipping their coca cola and ice cream smoothies. It made me furious. I could understand if it was just a few people, but it was almost everybody.

I don't know if anybody else was in a situation like this or was bothered by it. But I was.

Sorry to be redundant, but I think Jesus was a pretty great guy and to just sit there and eat twizlers while he's being tortured is awfully f@#$ed up.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine
    Sorry to be redundant, but I think Jesus was a pretty great guy and just sit there and eat twizlers while he's being tortured is awfully f@#$ed up.

Silly, that wasn't really the Christ, it was just an actor being tortured.

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

I assume you're being facetious?

Either way I found it repulsive.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Beautiful movie, very well done. I can't imagine eating through it, as it really killed my appetite. I also can't see taking kids to see it, it was way too violent and intense. I took my mom, and she got crying in the theater, so I can only imagine how a child would be affected.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I can't sleep.............it is true........ I got popcorn , pickle and I could not eat it.......no one made a sound except the sniffles you could hear. I saw many people not eating but holding kleenex to their faces, I did the whole time. We live in the Bible belt here in Louisiana ,,,,,,,,church groups of 450 people were in this little town to see the movie everyday ,,,,,,,different groups thru out the whole days as it started.

We had to wait in a line for over an hour,,,,,,,,which is totally unheard of in our town for any movie. It was so many people of all ages, races, religions,,,,,,,,I knew alot of the people even atheist who were there to see the movie.

There were many people like me who ate their popcorn while waiting to see it,,,,,as soon as it started,,,,,,,the bags of snacks were put away,,,,,,,,,and there were tons of us taking our uneaten popcorn home. It was a weird experience to see people laughing , visiting talking , while waiting in line to get in..........and then to see the people coming out.......no one talking, faces looking like they had been crying the whole time,,,,,silence and seriousness.

I sat on the back row, I always like to sit there,,,,,,,,I was glad I did........when the movie ended.......everyone just sat there for a moment in utter silence........it was the strangest thing, to not hear a peep.

I hauled out of there as soon as I could,,,,,,,I didnt want anyone to see how much I had been crying.

I got up to use the restroom after I watched the flogging scene before it was even over. as it just was too hard for me to watch. Not that it was gorey so much as I can take alot of gore........but it was Jesus and I can say it just hurt my heart . At that point the tears of what Jesus went thru was more than I could take, as was the expressions of those on the screen who loved him watched in their sorrow, horror.

When I came back , I was able to watch the rest of it, although it was still hard to watch. There was just some kind of trigger in that certain part that I personally , could not watch anymore.

I can tell you,,,,,,,,,,, as an ex JW who always loved Jesus as I was taught,,,,,,,the loving , kind man he was, the person I used to wish would rescue me as a child,,,,,,,,,brought back the feelings I thought I had lost when I left the JW. Hard to explain really,,,,,,,,but it moved me so much that since I didnt eat before the movie, and durning the movie,,,,,,, I ran thru the drive in at McD's and had to wait to eat a cheeseburger for awhile.

For awhile when I got back in our truck......... I would just start crying.... I am sure the lady at the drivethru wondered what in the world was wrong with me....... I was shaking and would just start crying all over again.

I still feel the same way I did before the movie,,,,,,,,,,not sure what really happened with Jesus ,,,,,,,as if he was really the son of God, God or just a good man. Nevertheless,,,,,,,he was a man,,,,,,,and it was horrible what he went thru , yet amazing at his attitude towards people who did those terrible things to him , even in his last breath.

The movie being in subtitles didnt take anything away from the movie IMO at all.

It didnt make me want to run back to the Kingdom Hall, I dont feel the need to run to church.......but I do feel the same as I have before the movie,,, here lately. That for me,,,,,,,,,, there is alot of studying I need to do for myself to better understand things,,,,,,,,without the JW mentality to cloud what I am reading, or studying about.

I can tell you this,,,,,,,, I do feel the need to pray,,,,,,,,,just in case there really is a Jesus in Heaven.....I lean more that there is........just not really sure yet on any of it.

Weither my prayer will make me feel better, or change anything about the way I feel, or think,,, I feel strong about saying a word of Thanks to Jesus for what he went thru.

That is why I think it bothers me so much to believe or not to believe,,,,,,,,,there is so much at stake IMO. If Jesus was a real Holy man of God,,,,,,,,I feel when I know what to go on,,,,, I want to teach my children . As they were raised JW as I was.......the emphasis was always on Jehovah and not Jesus. If he is the means to Salvation.......... I want them to see things in another light other than the JW's believe. Since leaving the JW's I have encouraged my children to explore all things and be opened minded on religious beliefs. This is no different,,,,,,,, I want them to hear this side of things too, and as they grow older they will have alot more to go on to make their own choices .

This movie really made me see how similar the Jewish leaders who put Jesus to death, are so much like our modern day GB.........shamelessly evil, bloodguilty, haughty and will do anything to keep their positions as they want it to be, at the expense of life, lives.

I may be critized from people who do not believe ,,,,,,,,maybe they think I feel too much emotion over a movie,,,,,,,but I dont feel that is what it was at all. I still dont have the answers I am searching for, I know I may not on some of them. But I wonder ,,,,,,,,why it hit me so hard. I am not even convinced I am a believer,,,,,,,,,I guess my answer will come in time and study.

It reminded me so much of the love , the belief I had for Jesus,,,,,as a child . My dad was raised Catholic and even thou he was an elder of JW,,,,,,,,he always did talk mostly about Jesus which was a little unusal for most JW's. I guess that is why I felt more of a bond to Jesus than to Jehovah. Plus he studied Listening to the Great Teacher( pink book) five times with us before I was 8 yrs old. Those old feelings and memories all came back,,,,,,,,,especially since I havent thought alot of the way I felt as a child about Jesus in over 2 yrs.

For those of us still searching for what we believe, those who don't lean one way of the other,,,,,will most definately be thinking on this movie for a long time to come.

I even got my Bible out for the first time in I don't know how long.....I just feel the need to read the gospels at this time.

I guess I am over my speechlessness now huh??????? See the movie,,,,,,,take the kleenex, and do watch the reaction of people around you,,,,,,,those coming out,,,,,,,those going in,,,,,,,,,,very interesting.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

I find it rather amusing, how blood and gore "moves" people. I wouldn't pay to see this in a movie theater. They say Mel didn't do it for the money--which is no doubt true. This is a case where the "book" is worse, and none of it makes any reasonable sense. (Don't mean to offend anyone here.)

But, the glory.....yeah, he wanted that glory for sure. It seems that Mel did a good job in the business of directing, and that's what all of this is about. The power play was that he "directed" Jesus, God, the devil, both Mary's, the Jews, and the ruling powers of the day....and he influenced alot of people to "pay him to do this".

My sister went to see it, and her response was a negative.

My son went to see it, and his response was a positive.

Everyone to their own taste, but I have no interest at this point. If Mel really wanting to send a good message, he'd take every penny of the profits and feed and clothe the poor and needy. After all, even though the movie doesn't address it, Jesus real message was love and compassion. Let's see what Mel does.

/<

• wednesday
    wednesday

My hubby and I saw it, and my impression is the audience, including us, were stunned into silence. there were some people eating, but very few. We had a 600 seater auditorium ( 2 of them) and they were filled and almost all showings, except the late night one were booked. I could not watch them nail him to the cross. It was just too much. It has to be the very best bibical movie i have ever seen. I am very grateful Mel Gibson did this. We found the people waiting in line to be happy and welcoming of anyone new who came to get in line. It was sort of like one big revival. (there is a bible belt thing).

My hubby immediately wanted to hear the "Trial of jesus" on tape. We have found one part of it and are continuing to look for the other tape. if not, Mulan said she would mail it to me. if u have not heard it, u really should. It was done by a CO and is just incredible. The trial really comes to life.

The movie has made a difference in my life. I now think about jesus as i pray and really see how the WTS took jesus away from us. i was out in FS once and was regarded as suspicious b/c i was acting like a born again person. They actually had somone work with me to make sure i only presented a very dry version of the WT and Awake , instead of using the bible and talking about jesus.

• wednesday
    wednesday

My hubby and I saw it, and my impression is the audience, including us, were stunned into silence. there were some people eating, but very few. We had a 600 seater auditorium ( 2 of them) and they were filled and almost all showings, except the late night one were booked. I could not watch them nail him to the cross. It was just too much. It has to be the very best bibical movie i have ever seen. I am very grateful Mel Gibson did this. We found the people waiting in line to be happy and welcoming of anyone new who came to get in line. It was sort of like one big revival. (there is a bible belt thing).

My hubby immediately wanted to hear the "Trial of jesus" on tape. We have found one part of it and are continuing to look for the other tape. if not, Mulan said she would mail it to me. if u have not heard it, u really should. It was done by a CO and is just incredible. The trial really comes to life.

The movie has made a difference in my life. I now think about jesus as i pray and really see how the WTS took jesus away from us. i was out in FS once and was regarded as suspicious b/c i was acting like a born again person. They actually had somone work with me to make sure i only presented a very dry version of the WT and Awake , instead of using the bible and talking about jesus.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

You and I felt the same way about the movie Wednesday..........the silence and somber mood as the movie ended was like nothing I have seen before.

I don't think anyone who watches this movie goes to see it for the gore.........I know I didnt. But if that was really how it happened,,,,,,,,as I have read so far in the Bible it is,,,,,I dont see it as entertainment so to speak at all. I see it as history........real life. I felt the same way in the movie Braveheart and Saving Private Ryan. Since I was not there to see these things as they happened, I am interested in how things looked thru the visual of the director.

I read some of the Bible last nite,,,,,,,,in John........and Mel Gibson, did use the words,,,,,almost exactly as it is written in the Bible. The description and his interreptation of the movie seems more closely how it really happened compared to any other Jesus movie I have ever seen.

The fact that he used the money to make this film and didnt use the money to feed the hungry doesnt make me think less of Mel Gibson at all. As I understand it , he is a very devout Catholic...correct me if I am wrong.

He did a great job with this movie IMO and is a good director,,,,,,,it is his way of expressing his feelings as he sees things,,,,,along with true historical backing,,,,,,,,,truly an art form.

It would be great if every millioniar or billioniar used their money to feed the poor,,,,,,,,,many of them do and maybe Mel, has done that too,,,,,,, I don't know.

But I think he gave the people something that everyone has been wanting,,,,,,,,a new movie about Jesus. I have been wanting them to make one for along time.

Again,,,,,,,most everyone I talked to ,,,,,,,didnt go to see the movie because Mel directed it or because it was gorey. They wanted to see a modern movie about Jesus.

My husband had those tapes..........I believe it was a brother by the last name Alacino( sp), and they were so descriptive of what Jesus went thru , it was hard not to cry when I heard them.

I heard he was chastised for the talks because they were too graphic..........geeeeeeesssh, the Bible is too graphic all thru out it.

Like Wednesday said,,,,,,,,,,the JW's dont want to much glory or emphasis put on Jesus. They didnt want us to feel so strongly about what Jesus did,,,,,,,that we might actually give him the worship that he deserves.....they make me sicker than ever.

I would love to get those tapes from Mulan as well, and will gladly pay for any expense on her part to send them to me as well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit