Gone Campin...

by Valis 61 Replies latest social physical

• Valis
    Valis

*LOL* shamu...it was a piece of wood that looked like a pipe...caught my eye for some reason..*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sassy
    Sassy

I thought you had made a pipe out of that wood.....

When we camped up in the B.W.C.A. (Boundary Waters Canoe Area which is the waters between Canada and the States MN area) it was sooooo cold.. we had to do body huddling at night... that and we put a rock on the campfire and then throw them in a sock to throw in the bottom of our sleeping bags....

<----Sassy.. who knows the meaning of the word ROUGHING IT...

but also enjoys Embassy Suites...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Funny how those vapor trails just stick around until they fill the sky, eh?

Looks like fun. Think i'll try some camping this yr.

SS

• shamus
    shamus

You amerikans are such wussies, LOL!

I camp out here when I've skied 15km's in -20 degree temperatures, LOL! Cold? You don't know what cold is, thanks very very muchy.

Valius, when we were kids, we used to "smoke" devils club when it had dried out (it's hollow inside) and looks like a pipe. It smokes really good; I'll have to send you some down there to america to try out.

• Valis
    Valis

shamu...I've done cold camping..the kind where you have to dig a big square plot for your tent, build a big fire in it then wait til it gets to the coals then bury it and set the tent on top...that was Ruidoso New Mexico in the winter at Lake Bonita National forest area.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• shamus
    shamus

Well that sounds interesting! I have never tried that, because the bottom of my tent would be melted, LOL!

The most interesting camping experience I ever had was when I was on a six-day snowshoe trip into the tonquin valley. You have to go up this road the first day, as it is not plowed in the winter. There is a hostel up there, but it's closed.

Well, it's -25, I'm exhausted, and not looking forward to setting up camp. When I get up to the spot, the hostel is open, as one of the custodians is up there for the night. NICE! Bunks, hot fireplace, and they had a "sweat lodge" going outside. It's where you build a fire outside and throw rocks into it until they get red hot. Take the rocks out, put them in a "teepee" type thing (the one up there was made out of tarpulins), drop the rocks in the middle, pour hot water on the red-hot rocks, and you have the best sauna you could ever ask for when you're expecting a cold night out in the rockies with no fire, LOL!

It was so nice! Also, a bit strange being naked with complete strangers and making introductions in the nude, LOL!

I would love to try that kind of camping, but equipment wise, I have none of that. I only have winter alpine tents for climbing, etc. etc. etc... not the kind of thing that you would want to build a fire near or IN! They're too dammed expensive to ruin.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    You amerikans are such wussies, LOL!

who are you calling a wuss Shamus??

• Valis
    Valis
    Well that sounds interesting! I have never tried that, because the bottom of my tent would be melted, LOL!

no it wouldn't...you give it a good three or four inches at least so the actual coals never touch your tent...as well a good tarp if layed down first and the tent on top...can save you in real cold situations cuz the heat comes up int your tent slowly, but surely,

Sicnerely,

District Overbeer

• shamus
    shamus

Three or four inches of what???

Snow would melt, LOL!

• Valis
    Valis

of dirt...se you dig out a square pit about 3 or four inches of ground and I suppose way up where you are it might not be possible, but even a small fire pit can be covered w/dirt and have a tent placed over it...it does add warmth.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit