2004 District Convention List Here

by abbagail 37 Replies latest jw friends

• abbagail
    abbagail

Grits:
    Thanks for posting this!!! I noticed there were fewer site for the conventions as well....money must be tight!!!
    Codeblue
    ----------------

Hi Codeblue: Yeah, could very well be. Or maybe they are having a harder time finding places to use (or at the price they want to pay), so they are just piling up more weeks-of-conventions at a lesser number of locations. Either way, "Less is Better!" (less money, less attendees, less convention locations... Following the ongoing pattern of doing away with things altogether... less orchestras, less convention days, less session hours, less coffee, less hoagies, less pastries, less food tickets, less dramas, less seating space for the disabled/environmentally sensitive/elderly, less baptismal candidates, etc. ;-) If this keeps up, some day there will be no one there but the speaker standing at the podium all by his lonesome. heehee.
    Grits

• abbagail
    abbagail

garybuss wrote:
    GRITS, You wrote,
    one day I was late and they wouldn't let me in so I had to go back home.
    Huh? What's this?
    ---------------------

Hi gary: It's been awhile so memory is a little fuzzy as to details, but I distinctly DO remember being told I could not go in by two young 'mormon-looking-fellas' (LOL, just kidding, it WAS a JW convention at McNichols Arena in 1979, NOT a mormon convention).

I DO remember that I went late, either an hour late, or mid-morning. There were no people in the parking lot nor outside milling around because the DC was already in session. And I definitely remember the two young guys approaching me as I walked toward the arena. I did not have a 'badge' and I was not baptized, etc. I cannot remember their exact words, but I know they said it was already in session and I couldn't go in (were they worried about security back in those days? I just don't know). At the time, being only a few-months'-old-study of the JWs, I thought it was 'punishment from Jah' for not getting there on time. Now I'm wondering if those two young JW fellas were not just having some fun. Maybe they were apostate-rebels-at-heart trying to spare my soul from getting inside the DC, lol. Either way, I remember I was definitely ticked off yet also remember feeling self-loathing, like there was something wrong with me. Sheesh. I was exhausted anyway from busting my butt to get over the Rockies to Denver in the first place.

Frankly, I never understood it myself (having thought about it numerous times over the years) and at the time I was too embarrassed/ashamed to ever mention it when I got back to my hometown cong.
    Grits

• jws
    jws

I think there may be a lot of changes in this list, but I don't have the time to go compare. I know my dad says they're going to a totally new site this year too - and in a different month too. They had been using the same site in Madison, Wisconsin for close to 20 years, give or take. He hasn't told me where, but they could be in either Green Bay or Rockford, Illinois.

According to the link, it says they're hosting 211 conventions in 63 cities, compared to 200 conventions in 62 cities last year. So they've added 11 conventions and 1 city, which sort of sounds like growth.

Or maybe they're just seeking out the best deals, even if it means using smaller venues. Smaller venues translates to more conventions and more conventions may spill over into more cities.

Is this sudden change in venues something I should be applauding? Does it mean they're hurting more than we thought and have to aggressively pursue every cost-cutting measure? Or is the convention industry hurting so bad that great deals are pursuing them?

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Thanks Blondie, I love you..

Orangefatcat.. hugs and kisses..OrangeFatCat 15Animated Hearts

• blondie
    blondie

Canada

June 11-13

Belleville, ON The Belleville Yardmen Arena

Calgary, AB, Pengrowth Saddledome

Cornwall, ON Ed Lumley Arena, Cornwall Civic Center

(June 18-20) (French only)

(June 25-27)

Dartmouth, NS, Dartmouth Sportsplex

Nanaimo, BC, Frank Crane Arena, Beban Park Recreation Centre

Sudbury, ON Sudbury Community Arena

June 18-20

Grande Prairie, AB, Canada Carrier Arena

Kamloops, BC, Sport Mart Place

(June 25-27)

(July 2-4)

(July 9-11)

(July 23-25)

Kitchener, ON, Kitchener Memorial Auditorium Complex

(June 25-27)(Spanish only)

(July 2-4)

Moncton, NB, Coliseum Agrena

Victoria, BC Esquimalt?s Archie Browning Sports Centre (Arena)

June 25-27

Saskatoon, SK (Sign language also), Saskatchewan Place

July 2-4

Edmonton, AB, Rexall Place, Northlands Park

Hamilton, ON, Copps Coliseum

(July 9-11)

Quebec City, QC (French only) Colisee Pepsi

July 9-11

Mount Pearl, NI, Mount Pearl Glacier

Selkirk, MB, Selkirk Recreation Complex

(July 16-18)

Sherbrooke, QC (French only), Palais des sports

(July 16-18)(French only)

(July 23-25)

July 16-18

Brampton, ON (Portuguese only), Assembly Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses

Montreal, QC, (Italian only) Assembly Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses

Prince George, BC, Prince George Multi-plex Arena

July 23-25

Calgary, AB (Spanish only), Calgary Kingdom Hall Centre of Jehovah?s Witnesses

Montreal, QC (Arabic only) Assembly Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses

Surrey, BC (Chinese only) Assembly Hall of Jehovah?s Witnesses

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Blondie thanks so much for posting them for me. I really appreciate it. May I ask you a personal question? Where do you find out everything. I have the CDs and other publications but you always seem to know the latest information on certain matters. Would you please tell me how? Thanks you can PM.

Love OrangefatcatOrangeFatCat 15With All My Love

• blondie
    blondie

OC, I still get the current mags w/o going to the KH. Also I am 3rd generation JW, the confidante of many elders. I have had close ties to Bethel over the years. Plus I have been associated with the WTS for more than 45 years. Some I pick up on JWD. I study (ied) a lot. And I have a few secret sources best not revealed.

Knowledge is good, but love is better.

Blondie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

July 9-11

Selkirk, MB, Selkirk Recreation Complex

They'll have two loony bins in Selkirk that weekend!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit