Circuit Assembly experience...

by No Apologies 27 Replies latest jw friends

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

"And they're both getting baptised today!"

No, not that kind of experience.

This happened this last weekend at the circuit assembly my (JW) wife attended. During the program, a small child got loose and started running across the aisle at the front of the auditorium. A few chuckles were heard, of course. Soon, grandma appears on the scene, attempting to corral the unruly child. As she is chasing after the kid, running a little herself, all of a sudden grandma trips and takes a nasty fall.

Here is the interesting part, even my wife thought it odd: No one got up, no one went to help her up, see if she was ok, etc. Nada. zip.

Of course, we all know why this occurred. Borgs are trained to pay attention to the program, to ignore any kind of disturbance or distractions. Look what happened when Lloyd Barry collapsed on stage, somebody stepped up and finished his talk, nobody missed a beat.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Nobody helped this grandmother? What a lack of "fellow feeling". Was she perhaps known to be disfellowshipped? If not, why the paralysis in the audience?

The JW's constantly parade themselves as following the Bible verse "by this all will know you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves". But as this experience shows, they don't !!

• blondie
    blondie

They were probably waiting for the attendants to do it who have only been trained to take a head count.

Blondie

• Emma
    Emma

It was probably thought she shouldn't have let the child get out of control in the first place. I can remember my family, who under other circumstances could be quite loving, blaming the adults for not being in control.

• Atilla
    Atilla

No Ap,

You should tell your wife that the next time she goes to the assembly she should try the same thing-fall in the front and just lay there, maybe cry out in agony, see how long it takes for help to arrive.

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

Reminds me of the intermission when they'll always say that the convention sound system will only be used for convention business and please not ask to use it in the case of an emergency.

wouldn't want to waste any of that convention time in doing anything other than indoctrinating.

• Bryan
    Bryan
    They were probably waiting for the attendants to do it who have only been trained to take a head count.

Oh yeah!!

I used to love doing the headcount! Also working the food... it got me out of my seat and I didn't have to listen to the talking heads!!!

Bryan

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

JWs are trained to not think for themselves... I remember when I was always second guessing myself... ( if I'm a sister, am I allowed to do this or will a brother take offense? and the list goes on)

I'm sure it left a bad impression on visitors, though!

Witnesses are always told exactly when, where and how to show kindness, and that can leave you unable and unprepared to show it spontaneously.

If you leave that thinking behind though, you eventually learn to trust your instincts and will jump up to help the grandmother. Most of these people would have stopped to help her in the market, but in the KH or assembly, you think, am I supposed to do this?

• iamfree
    iamfree

Well, this reminds me of a story.

It's about three Jews, a Samaritian, a road and one donkey...

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

***Most of these people would have stopped to help her in the market, but in the KH or assembly, you think, am I supposed to do this?***

This sounds so stupid, but in actuality, it's right on target!

One Convention I attended, there were huge stairs in the front of the building and as I walked up-therewas a crowd gathered around looking at something on the ground. "It" turned out to be an older, rather heavy-set woman who appeared to be suffering a seizure of some kind.......AND her skirt was hiked WAY up showing her underwear. NOBODY made a move to COVER her up!!!! I know enough not to mess around with someone with a medical condition, etc, but to offer a simple kindness and at least give her some dignity and treating her as a person, and knowing that she would have BEEN "modestly dressed" had she been standing up!

I'm not looking for a pat on the back, but I pushed my way to where she laid and grabbed a sweater that was kinda wrapped around her arm (like she had been carrying it before she fell) and covered her upper legs, all the while muttering quite loudly about why SOMEBODY couldn't have done this right off the bat!

The most basic of human instincts seem to take a back seat mentality when you're a JW!

hugs,

Annie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit