what's your favority JW reference from a movie or TV ?

by itsallgoodnow 35 Replies latest jw friends

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

In "Throw Mama From the Train" where Billy Crystal is haning from a rooftop (or something, I forget), and Danny DeVito asks Crystal what he's doing, he says "I'm selling the Watchtower. What do you think I am doing?"

Saturday Night Live: LANDSHARK! Chevy Chase beats up a JW thinking its the landshark at the door selling the watchtower.

and i know it's probably not a JW reference, but an old Saturday Night Life skit where the Bethel basketball team beats a bunch of Knights of columbus basketball teams is ironically good. Bethel (I assume it aint JW Bethel, but who knows), sends over a very cocky spokesman to accept a trophy from the Knights at the Christmas dinner. In the end they all try to sing christmas songs, but only the Bethel guy knows all the words. Has anyone else seen this bizarre skit?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

During the last round of General Elections there was a cartoon in the paper.
    It showed a guy inside his house hearing a knock at the door.
    He said "I hope that's JW's!"
    LOL

• fader
    fader

I have to agree. Friday is the absolute best. I first saw that movie right when I was starting to fade (first movie I ever saw with my husband, and it was *gasp* R-rated!)

It's the first scene of the movie, the whole family is asleep. We hear loud banging at the door. Two elderly 'sisters' (one of whom used to play the grandmother on Apartment 227) are on the front steps. The oldest child, played by Ice Cube, gets up, and answers the door:

Sister (Watchtower in hand): Gooooood mornin suh, are you prepared for the return of Jehova, cause if you not!

Ice Cube: *Looks at sister's, bewildered, slams door in their faces.*

Sister (to the door): Well fuuuuck you then, half-dead motha-fucka. C'mon sista!

And they walk off.

It's particularly funny for me because I used to go out in field service with a regular pioneer in my cong (she was so cool!) She's out now too. She introduced me to Life of Brian. Another story, I guess. Anyway, she and I used to basically act like that. Someone would shut the door in our faces, we'd mumble, "f*ck you a$shole, have fun at Armageddon" and then go off and drink coffee.

• scotsman
    scotsman

Eddie Izzard had a great routine about them centering arounf a wee brown book called Clever Answers to Tricky Questions. He also commented how they work in a tag team, and if you ask a question that's difficult they'll turn and tag their partner to see if they know the answer. The only people who laughed at that section of his routine were me and my JW friends. It went over the heads of most of the audience who, unlike Eddie, obvuiously kept their doors closed.

I remember thinking it was cool when Kyle MacLachlan pretended to be a JW with the W&A in David Lynch's Blue Velvet.

• shamus
    shamus

Watch "Orgazmo" by Trey Parker. They are mormons in the movie, but the people that answer the doors are just hilarious!

One sweet old lady calls them soul soliciting pig fers.

• meat pie
    meat pie

Coneheads

Shirley.

• blondie
    blondie

X-files

Scully: "This is odd..." [examining ripped-out doorbell]
    Mulder: "Frustrated Jehovah's Witness?"

Farmer: Jehovah's Witness?

Scully: No, sir. Federal Bureau
    of Investigation.
  • 95stormfront
    95stormfront
    Mine is from Friday, the movie with Ice Cube, where a couple of JW ladies wake up Ice Cube's character's family one morning and there's some mouthing off, and you wouldn't believe the nasty words coming out of these sweet looking old "sisters". Hilarious!

I remember that distinctly.......

Me and the wife went and saw that movie and that first scene had both me and others in the theatre rolling. My wife was incensed and subsequently turned off from the rest of the movie. She just couldn't get past that part.

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

In Friday one of the sisters is Aunt Esther from Sanford and Son.

The Shark bit from Saturday Night live is very funny.

MIne is one of the Jeffersons in which George is trying to bribe a city official and he says "no witnesses right?" and the city official says "Jehovah?"

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

these are all great. Thanks, Fader, for all the dialogue from Friday, I couldn't remember it completely, except for the MF part.

Another one of my favorites is Do the Right Thing, where there are witnesses walking around this neighborhood for, like, the whole movie, and when they show Spike Lee the mags, he just says "NO!" and that's enough to make me want to die laughing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit