JWs target retirement homes

by Scully 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Something that is popping up more and more are retirement homes or villages. The baby boomers are steadily moving into that stage. With a highly mobile population many choose to live in a retirement home or village rather than be dependant on family who often live great distances away. This doesn't mean they don't have money. In fact many have lots of maney since these homes are quite expensive.

While some of these are simply no children facilities others provide various levels of care from modest housekeeping to food service or medical care (usually an on-call nurse) Of course the more services one makes use of the more it costs.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Mom has been asked to keep her religion to herself, at her retirement home. On Fridays they have a Bible Study in the common room, so we are supposed to be quiet getting off elevators. It's a church group. Seems unfair to me. Why can they come in and do Bible studies but Mom can't. (my words, not hers) She is fine with it, and I don't really care, but it seems discriminatory.

The woman across the hall from Mom is studying with someone from the congregation, but she was studying before she moved there. They can't go door to door in the building. Yay!

• Sherilynn
    Sherilynn

Reverse Mortgages when elderly die the mortgage has to be paid off usually family would sell the home...if not paid off house goes to the bank like any other unpaid mortgage. If elderly enter nursing home or hospital and do not return to their home after six months then bank will start action for repayment. These have worked well for some elderly but it is not for all and just figure that the house will not go to their heirs if doing a reverse mortgage and if that okay then it's an option to get income.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

Doesn't it make more sense to preach to the younger crowd?

The idea is that people who die before the big A, will be ressurected, so those people in retirement homes have a bigger chance of dying before.

The ORG should be prioritizing their efforts and the first priority is to preach to younger people as they are the strata which are more at risk.

• Pattytheperfectone
    Pattytheperfectone

While the proposed monthly meeting at nursing homes is a new thing targeting these nursing homes for studies is nothing new, at least not in the congregation I was raised in. There was always one or two pioneer sisters that regularly trolled nursing homes looking for new people to 'study' with. I remember being a little girl drug along on these trips and being scared of Some of the dementia/Alzheimer's patients. I also remember the 'studies' that even at a young age I could totally tell only accepted and went along because they wanted someone to talk and visit with. Even if the studies were pointless I always felt that at least for that 30 minutes each week that person didn't feel alone.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit