F.Y.I. Elder on the Edge

by avengers 19 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• willyloman
    willyloman

Avengers: Good for you, that took a lot of guts. It will, unfortunately, have little or no effect. If I read your post correctly, you are still "in" and an elder, both of which describe my situation until very recently. I fear you will find that efforts to reform the WTS are futile. However, don't stop trying. If nothing else, your courage will come in handy when it's time to let "the truth" go and start living real life. That will be a better thing for you than you can possibly imagine.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

CAB

Condescending Arrogant Bastards are the words that come to mind when discussing the GB attitude to child molestation

• blondie
    blondie

I got that experience sent to me re silentlambs newsletter.

http://www.silentlambs.org/newsletter/NewsLetterItem.cfm?SendoutID=195

GB speaks on abuse (
    Governing Body member Sam Heard offers his comments when confronted on the abuse issue a few months back.
    I am new to this. Still "taking the lead" in my congregation with severe 
    doubts ?To add to that, this publicity about the child abuse issue
    (silentlambs) has me very disgusted with the society.
    Let me share with you all a true, but anonymous, story: (continued at url above)
    Blondie
  • bikerchic
    bikerchic
    I guess people are waking up.

Good experience and that took some guts to say that IMHO.

Kate

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

It takes courage to stand up to the organization. I think that as a man of conscience elders in this position will find it harder and harder to stand up against these policies.

But I am pleased some are trying.

• abbagail
    abbagail

It was a real boost in the arm to read this again. It definitely was 'ballsy' for a JW to get in the face (in a nice way) of a GB member at the DC.

However, I do not think Avengers was implying that HE was the one who did this, because at the top of his post, he wrote something like, "It looks like people are waking up." (I can't see it now since I am on the reply page).

Also, just for the record, this is not 'new' news. The DC this brother is speaking of is the 2002 DC, not the 2003 DC.

I received a recent copy of this just the other day via the SL newsletter, same as blondie. When I read it, I knew it sounded familiar and knew I had read it in the past, thinking possibly SL had sent it around previously. So I checked my folders of all SL 'news' articles from last year when I was helping them with all newsy-type items for the new SL website; and found this same info in two emails of mine, one wherein I had posted the same info at LRD (LambsRoar) around 1/14/03; and the second when I sent it to BB/SL as a 'news article' for their website on 2/24/03.

I had gotten it from another thread here at JWD. The above account of the brother who confronted GB-Sam Heard at one of the 2002 DCs was originally posted back on 1-13-03 here at JWD by Joe from Kokomo. He had signed up here at JWD on 1-12-03, the day before he posted this. You can see Joe's original thread here with this same info: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=44396&page=1&site=3#623555

Joe also was not the brother who confronted Sam Heard because he says, "Let me share with you all a true, but anonymous, story..." so Joe evidently was passing on a story he heard from someone else who evidently wished to remain anonymous.

In any event, it's still a great story, and maybe BB recently realized he had never 'spread this around' via his SL newsletter and that's why he sent it out the other day.

BTW, BB emailed the other day asking if I knew where there was a list of the upcoming 2004 District Conventions? Does anyone have a current mag with those listings? I wrote BB that I'd look around and haven't found such a list here at JWD yet. If anyone has a current mag with those listings, could you let me know and/or create a thread and post the list at JWD and/or send BB a scanned copy of the list? Mucho gracias! ;-)

GRITS

• franklin J
    franklin J

Avenger

I applaud your courage to do what you did. There is nothing better than taking the issue to the "source".

Of course, the GB member you spoke to patronized you. They really believe they have the "Almighty " in their pocket. He gave you the courtesy of a reply; however he could not have respected the "issue" you were putting before him. How could he? He is a GB member; committed to loyalty to ....God? Watchtower? An "earthly" organization of which HE is a leader? Does he truly know? Or is he an "automaton"? His arguement of refering to the Hebrew scriptures 2 witness rule falls apart in comparison arguing. The Hebrews declared carnal war; had an army; spilled blood; stoned their people to death; had severe dietary rules. Do Jehovahs Witnesses practice that way of life? Or follow those rules? No. Seclective reasoning by the WTS.

As for his wife "walking away in disgust"....she was likely one of those ideal Watchtower Wives; you know the social climbing type who relate their position in "Jehovahs Organization" based on their husband being an elder or other "upwardly mobile" theocratic position. Chances are this couple never progressed passed the "marriage" phase of their lives. By that I mean they never had children of their own and could not relate on a personal level what the horrors of child abuse might even be. To them it is just another " obstacle" which they are taught to overcome in the "ministry school". They have most likely spent their sheltered lives at Bethel or the Farm, and outside of that never worked a REAL job ( much less had a CAREER or PROFESSION) . They have no concept of the reality of life outside of the Watchtower.

The fact that both of these individuals are victims like so many others is besides the issue. They are put in a position of "authority" ; some use that authority compassionately and sensitively; some do not. The fact is, their ability to control is directly proportional to the degree which any individual will empower them. And if they want to keep that superior position that they have attained; they had better follow the WTS ( as a GB member; he most likely formulated much of the current rulings).

From our perspective; they are sad people with a sad cause...More wasted lives and potential...

You have courage, Avenger

regards and be well, Frank

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Farkle is right on with his post

• avengers
    avengers

What I posted above was not my own personal experience, but was sent to me by S.L.
    I wanted to post it as a quote, but when I tried all the formatting was lost.
    So I posted it this way. Sorry if some of you thought it was my personal experience,
    but I tell you I can relate.
    I wonder how this elder is doing now; is he still on the edge or which way did he go?
    Maybe some of you can shed some light on that.

Protecting children is not the issue. Protecting the WT Society is the issue. Children are disposable. EVERYONE is disposable to them. After all, "Jehovah" will use the WTS to rule the earth and universe forever and ever.

Scary.

Farkel

I remember about two years ago I wrote the WT here in the Netherlands. I asked them how can it be that YOU tell the Rank & File
    not to have a relationship with the Scarlet Colored Wild Beast and yet YOU YOURSELF can. How can that be morally justified?
    Well you all know their answer. The Library-card.
    That's not an answer, but a fallacy.

Notice that Bin Laden never addresses the question of whether he sponsors terrorism, instead simply turning the accusation back against the accuser. This is an irrelevancy designed to distract the audience from the question at issue, that is, it is a Red Herring. Even if all of Bin Laden's accusations are true, they have nothing to do with the question, and thus are irrelevant.

The answer given by the GB shows THEY know damn well what THEY are doing. That's why I have to agree with Farkel. THEY, the GB doesn't give a rat's ass about us, the children, the brothers and the sisters. What do THEY care about? I don't know. I do know it's not us!

Andy
  • Cheetos
    Cheetos

Good for you brother. When you are fully tired of being intimidated by pressures of a cooperate empire, then you will make your brake and serve Jehovah rather than a publishing company concerned with its image more than the welfare of children.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit