"If anyone calls himself a BROTHER ,"...................

by gumby 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

To gumby, pudd, Sassy, Sirona, Joysome, A Paduan, itsallgoodnow, RandomTask, minimus and Farkel:

Thanks for all your interesting comments. My dear fellow posters, you've contributed to one of the best discussions of the week so far. Well done!

Cheers, Ozzie

• SM62
    SM62

This post is very interesting.

It took me so long for the penny to drop. I used to think I could get through to my husband by using common sense - how silly of me. He is so completely and utterly brainwashed by this organisation that I just can't get through to him - although I won't stop trying.

Shunning is wrong for a Christian simply because it is an unchristian act. For any Christian to say otherwise defies logic. If Jesus was on the earth today, he would not shun people. I thought Christians were supposed to be following Jesus as their leader and not a bunch of self-appointed hypocrites.

I also think that if I were to shun others, I would be implying that I am better than they are and to speak to them would defile me in some way. How disgusting and shameful it would be if I were to think this way. I would never shun anyone, and I don't care if that means I will eventually be DFd. I know the elders in my congregation are itching to boot me out so it is only a matter of time. I refuse to go along with their cruel policies because the people who form these policies don't have two brain cells to rub together - I don't want to be part of their gang any more.

Terri

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    If Jesus was on the earth today, he would not shun people.

Yet, according to the WTS, he is, in the form of his representatives, the WTBTS.

How disgusting and shameful it would be if I were to think this way. I would never shun anyone, and I don't care if that means I will eventually be DFd.

Terri,

I applaud your sentiments in this. I wonder if you've discovered that others in your area are feeling the same way? It'd be intertesting to know.

I don't want to be part of their gang any more

To this there will be applause in heaven!

Cheers, Ozzie

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

I just looked up 'Apostacy' in the "Reasoning Book", and it said......'or those who claim to believe in the bible, but reject Jehovahs Organisation". LOL, another example of how the WTS does total turn-arounds on issues. My favorite quote from the 1865 Watchtower, pg. 216: "Beware of "organisation." It is wholly un-necessay. The Bible will be the only rules you need. Do not seek to bind others consciences and do not permit others to bind yours. Believe and obey so far as you can understand God's Word today, andy so continue to grow in grace and knowledge day by day." It's funny how the Witnesses teach that Christendom changed Christianity's foundations to further their own cause, when they did it themselves, via "new light." I prefer sun light over the glow of the most technologically advanced light bulb. I prefer growing in grace and knowledge day by day over blindly following a group of men in Brooklyn.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    I prefer sun light over the glow of the most technologically advanced light bulb. I prefer growing in grace and knowledge day by day over blindly following a group of men in Brooklyn.

Oh yes, ain't that the truth! Amen to that!

God bless.

Cheers, Ozzie

• minimus
    minimus

Farkel, do you think that terms such as fornication, loose conduct, etc. are vague? I think that when we look into the actual definition of Greek or Hebrew words, we get the flavor as well as the real meaning of words. Certainly, when those words were originally used and the readers or hearers understood them, they knew exactly what was meant. And I don't think they would have understood them according to Watchtower definitions.

• gumby
    gumby
    Since 1 Cor 5:11 is the ONLY verse that would imply any sort of shunning

Actually Fark.....Jesus himself alluded to it. Matt.18;15-19

Jesus said if your BROTHER sins against you and he doesn't listen to you when you confront him, or the one you bring along with you, or the congregation.......then let him be as a tax collector(or as a "man of the nations")

The NIV footnote says concerning Matt.18;15-19 "this establishes one basis for......EXCOMMUNICATION".

Just HOW the jews acted toward gentiles.....I'm not sure.

Gumby

• minimus
    minimus

Gumby, I'd bet that this footnote is one translator's opinion. I doubt that even if was meant to be as said, it was not referring to the Watchtower version of dfing.

• gumby
    gumby
    Gumby, I'd bet that this footnote is one translator's opinion. I doubt that even if was meant to be as said, it was not referring to the Watchtower version of dfing.

Mornin Min Actually when I was first DFed and hearbroken......I went to the christian bookstore to look up various refrences to substatiate the validity of the society's stance on this. EVERYWHERE I looked, from Matthew Henry's commentaries to bible dictionaries I found the SAME explanation on these two refrence places. I was bummed! I COULD NOT find anything that said otherwise. If you know of a commentator who has another slant on these refrences.....I'd be intrested to read it. Gumby...( yes.....my spelling is rather shitty)

• minimus
    minimus

2 comment6aries I just looked at say, "treat him like a Gentile"...Wycliffe and the Bible Knowledge Commentary.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit