"If anyone calls himself a BROTHER ,"...................

by gumby 44 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• gumby
    gumby

1Cor. 5:9-11, says that anyone who .....CALLS HIMSELF A BROTHER and is a fornicator, idolater, drunkard and such, is not to be greeted or have a meal shared with them. The Witnesses of course, apply this to anyone who CALLS THEMSELVES A WITNESS, and is any of those things, yet still calls themselves a witness.

The problem I always had understanding is......If a person DOES NOT call himself a "brother" ( a witness) any longer, then how do they justify applying it to those who choose not to be recognised as such any longer?

In the NIV footnote section which gives a short commentary on scriptures.....it plainly says this applies to any who CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS, and do these things. So....if a witness decides he does not want to be a witness any longer and does not identify themselves as such.........how does it apply to them?

Gumby

• gumby
    gumby

I just looked up 'Apostacy' in the "Reasoning Book", and it said......'or those who claim to believe in the bible, but reject Jehovahs Organisation".

I guess we can't win, can we?

Gumby

• pudd
    pudd

Good question Gumby

Who knows?

often got heated over that one myself.

• pudd
    pudd

Sorry GUMBY!!! Not Grumby!

• Sassy
    Sassy
    The problem I always had understanding is......If a person DOES NOT call himself a "brother" ( a witness) any longer, then how do they justify applying it to those who choose not to be recognised as such any longer?

that is an interesting thought.. I never contemplated it in that way..

• Sirona
    Sirona
    I just looked up 'Apostacy' in the "Reasoning Book", and it said......'or those who claim to believe in the bible, but reject Jehovahs Organisation".

So I'm not an apostate? Damn. I don't claim to believe the bible...

Sirona

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    In the NIV footnote section which gives a short commentary on scriptures.....it plainly says this applies to any who CALL THEMSELVES CHRISTIANS, and do these things. So....if a witness decides he does not want to be a witness any longer and does not identify themselves as such.........how does it apply to them?

Like so much in Dubdom, it's illogical.

Nice call, Gumby!

• Joysome
    Joysome

A friend and I had a conversation about that once....we can't come to a logical conclusion on that.

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

That's my main beef with dubs - the fact that they call themselves christian (the "true christians") - and no, I don't invite them in the house - either house.

• gumby
    gumby

The scripture in Corinthians was dealing with a (new) greek brother, who was sleeping with his step mother, and the congregation was patting him on the back for it. He was claiming to be a christian among other christians. This is FAR from a witness saying they no longer wish to be a witness because they can't swallow THEIR teachings any longer, then being DFed for it.

Gumby

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit