Baseball!!!

by logansrun 15 Replies latest social physical

• logansrun
    logansrun

Ahh, spring is in the air! The newly unveiled grass freed from it's snowy blanket. The first buds of leaves barely containing their excitement at the beaconing of all the birds of heaven. And, of course....baseball.

For a lifelong Chicagoan conceived, born and raised on the north side, the approach of the baseball season springs eternal for the Beloved Chicago Cubs. Once these cuddly bear-cubs were thought of as long shots to contend -- a mild amusement for the Dodgers, Cardinals and Mets.

But no longer.

Pitching wins ballgames -- and the Cubs boast a kick-ass row of hurlers the likes of which have never been seen in this town. Mark Prior, Kerry Wood, Greg Maddux, an improved bullpen -- it's all there baby. This is the year. You heard it here first. Cubs over Yankees in six come October.

Bradley

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Naw. I say the Yanks don't get past the Red Sox. I still like the Cubbies though... if K-Wood's arm doesn't fall off.

• logansrun
    logansrun

Cubs versus Red Sox. The network ratings would fly through the stratosphere!

• Aztec
    Aztec

Yay! Go Tigers...ROFL! I know they suck but, I hate baseball...

~Aztec

PS: Bradley, you take direction well.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The last time I followed baseball the Toronto Blue Jays won the World Series 2 years in a row. Then the buggers went on strike. Baseball lost a lot of its support here after that. I went to a game last year when I got tickets for $2.00 each. There were just over 3000 in the stadium.

Hockey RULES in Toronto!

Walter

• Aztec
    Aztec

Yup, hockey rules!

~Aztec

• Agent Smith
    Agent Smith

Astros all the way Baby!!!

They will pwn everyone this year!

• Badger
    Badger

Mariners and Cardinals! Between Ichiro and Pujols, who needs A-Rod?

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

The two major curses in my sad life are; having been a JW, and being a life-long, dyed-in-the-wool, long-suffering Red Sox fan!

LAST year's Series just about caused me heart failure!

Isn't it about TIME the Bosox take home the pennant???

(sigh)

hugs,

Annie

• MorpheuzX
    MorpheuzX

I don't know. I think some of you must be half nuts. The Tigers are obviously going to win the Series! They added Jason Johnson to a rotation that already included Mike Maroth, Jeremy Bonderman and Nate Cornejo. Now I realize that those pitchers finished last season a combined 31-67; I'm sure they'll be much better this year. Plus they went out and signed Pudge Rodriguez to be the new backstop for the bargain basement price of 40 million USD -- for a catcher whose played one full season in the last four. Good idea.

Jeepers, it must totally suck to be a Tigers fan!

Actually I think I concur with just about everyone else, Cubs vs. Red Sox in October 2004.

Even with all the money the Yankees spent in the off-season, I think too many of their key players are too old and prone to injury: Jason Giambi, Gary Sheffield, Bernie Williams, Kevin Brown. In addition to that it appears that Jon Lieber, the Yank's reclamation project in their rotation has broken down again, meaning Donovan Osbourne is now the number five starter! (That's right the same Donovan Osbourne who last started for the St. Louis Cardinals back in 1993 or something.)

With a few more injuries, this might be the year the evil empire collapses. The Sox have so much more depth than the Yanks. And the Cubbies are just going to be smoking teams this year.

My pick for the series, Cubs in six.

As a post-script: I'm sure my Phils will find a way to lose again.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit