Were you raised as a dub or did you convert?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 46 Replies latest jw friends

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I was a catholic all my life then in my early 30s I got baptized as a JW.

A friend of mine when in her 20s became a dub. She always talked to me about the borg and troof and I listened. When I had my 1st child and experienced the miracle of life and unconditional love I began to really question the purpose of life but more so the reason for death. From MY own bible my friend showed me scriptures that made sense. I guess I was having an informal study.

As my marriage and health deteriorated I began to dream of a peaceful, safe life. That's when I began to rely more on the dubs and the borg. All the love bombing clouded their hidden agendas and I believed they were god's people on earth. It took me about 12 years of spasmotic studies and indecisivness before I became a dedicated dub.

I was looking for god,truth, love, family, support and happiness. And for a while it seemed that the borg was providing all those things. But it really wasn't long before I started to notice things weren't right. The rest is history.

I thought it might be interesting to compare how many of us here were converts or born dubs.

Cheers, Bliss

• Purple
    Purple

I was also raised as a catholic and became a dub in my late 20's. It was really a way for me to escape the bad home situation I found myself in. I can see that now I am out of it but at the time it really was a case of me looking for some purpose in my life and a reason to stay with the x. I am still looking for the purpose and dont htink I will ever find it and I left the x cause I valued my life and didn't want that dipsh** taking it away from me. I have looked high and low! Heck I even found Nemo and didn't find any purpose. So anyways lifes a Bit** then you die!

• blondie
    blondie

I was sort of raised a dub. My mother is 2nd generation JW but had periods of inactivity and we children did what my father insisted on, holidays, birthdays (not our own because he wouldn't spend the the money), going to funerals/weddings in churches. I was baptized a JW because it was the lesser of the evils I thought I had seen in other religions. Now I realize that religion is not necessary to be a spiritual person.

Blondie

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

JW-born and raised, left when I was 19.

• Joysome
    Joysome

Born and raised. Mother was baptized when I was 3 so don't remember much else. I was DF'd when I was 23.

• lillost
    lillost

Born and raised and the only black sheep in my family

• 95stormfront
    95stormfront

the wife got me into it after she was baptised.

I remember being at a witness gathering and everyone was being so friendly and cordial. I remember thinking these people aren't so bad, and when an elder finally got around to asking me would I like a study, I hesitantly said yes.

Big Mistake.

Took me a couple of years to come to my senses, but, once I did, I was outta there.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Raised as one...my mudder converted before I was born...she made sure to tell me when I was 19 and not baptized yet that if it wasn't for the WT org I would be dead because she would have had an abortion......ouch!......I sure hope I was a painful delivery!

• Bryan
    Bryan

I was born as third generation witless. Became miniseries sevant at 20. Took two tries to get out. It's tough when you are reared in the troof. You have to leave all your friends behind.

I can say I've never felt so free and wonderful as I have after getting out.

Bryan

• Sassy
    Sassy

I was raised as one. My mother studied and changed religions when I was a toddler.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit