How many here use Intel, AMD, dont know what the hell they have?

by pr_capone 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Atilla
    Atilla

Celeron 600 home base and 1.4 Centrino in my X1000 HP notebook

I just set up my wi-fi network which was a real peace of work, had to buy two different rounters and spend several hours on the phone before I could get everything working. I'm still trying to figure out how to network my printer and exchange files though, internet sharing work good but everything else is a mystery and someone is probably hacking into my network right now!

• Wolfy
    Wolfy

Actually Intel is having a problem with heat in their new Prescott processors. The cpu's and the motherboards they are mounted run very hot. The Prescott's still use the S478 connection but there seems to be a heat issue with the current boards running this chip. Check it out at www.hardocp.com. (Performace of this chip is somewhat lacking as well)

I currently have three systems..Two running AMD cpu's(1700+ and an 800 Duron) along with my P4 3ghz system. Both Intel and AMD have their good and bad points as was previously mentioned. Working in computer repair I have seen a fair share of blown Intel and AMD cpu's. The main causes is that people tend to not look after their systems.They are usually clogged with dust(spider webs as well) which causes the system to generate alot of heat which can lead to component failure.

Performance wise the top of the heap (not including overclocked systems) would be the P4 Extreme Edition CPU's. They run as fast and faster in many tests as the AMD64 chips. They have 2megs on-die cache but the cost is high and are hard to find in my neck of the woods.

Wolfy

• pr_capone
    pr_capone

I will say though that the Itanium is one hell of a CPU. In the right tests it spanks the opteron. It is great for big tin. It basically cannot be matched in pure FPU performance. It is FAST. However, the problem lies in 2 things. First of all it is too expensive to buy. Second it is too expensive to make. Oh, and third it cannot be sold to consumers because doing so would damage the reputation it has in the server market. Oh, and fourth it REQUIRES a recompilation and often a complete restructuring/rewrite of the software running on it.

Kansas District Overbeer of the "I cant turn this damn highlighter off" class

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

A piece of crap VIA C3 on this one. The Linux box is Motorola.

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Interesting article, pr. I have to agree that, from the performance benchmarks I've seen, 64-bit on the desktop isn't all that great at this point. The most annoying restriction of the 32-bit world is the 4GB memory address limit.. something that does not really affect home users (yet).

• Purple
    Purple

Further to that you should have added who gives a flying leaping lizard, so long as it works and I dont have to think about it! Sheesh slow day on the board hey?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

AMD Athlon in my back up PC (128 Mb RAM) -- My main PC is an Intel Pentium 4 clocking at 2.0 GHz with 512 Mb RAM to really kick ass -- I am about to upgrade also!! I want a full Gig of RAM -- that would be awesome -- Motherboards are improving all the time and can take it

• Sassy
    Sassy

I am no hardware expert... but I wanted to give a plug for AMD.. my close friend works for them and I like to encourage AMD to keep her in a job!!

ps.. she is no longer a JW either.. so think of it as helping one of us!!

• Simon
    Simon

Memory is far more important to overall system speed than processor spec. People seem to chase Ghz though and pay for the latest 3.4, 3.2, 3.0 etc.... when they probably don't really tax the 2.4 or whatever that they have.

A ballanced system is better than one with a super fast processor but not the rest of the kit to match.

Why does memory matter so much?

Imagine your super powerful processor is a motorbike. If you don't have much memory for it to work with, it's like trying to drive it round your living room. It will never be able to run at it's full whack.

Having more memory is like having more space for it to open the throttle and perform.

I have 1Gb RAM which is great for using Virtual machines on (VMWare / MS VirtualPC)

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Many people are amazed to find out that I make a living on a PC with a 500 mHz Celeron and Windows 2K.

Does everything I need... since I gave up first-person shooters, that is :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit