going to meeting

by LukeN 22 Replies latest jw friends

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Luke,

we can get can irritaited by anything but take the oyster for example. it gets irritated by the tiniest spec of sand. and over time it starts secreting a whitish liquid and over time what is created what is known as a pearl.

After decades as a JW I cannot tell you how often I have heard this illustration, probably 865 times, give or take a time a time and half a time, yet I was astonished to hear that at the recent Patterson CO school, they were still trotting out this tired illustration as if it were some newly discovered elixir to spiritual life. The CO's of course, will bring it around to the congregations, introduce it into most every talk and then castigate the audience for falling asleep....again.

Was your visitor by any chance named Lum? If it was, please give him a swift kick in the crutch from me, but do it with a jack-hammer set to maximum. It is much more effective.

HS

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

What about after the meeting, Luke? Much more interesting what you and your friends did - did you go skate(board)ing? Go out to eat and make fun of everyone at the Hall? Come on now!!

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Lucky you.

Devon

• LukeN
    LukeN

went home and slept

• Puternut
    Puternut

I have heard most of the old illustrations, and this one is sooooo old. The only one I remember they have upgraded is the one about inherited sin. Where, if you take a baker's pan with a dent in it all the loaves will have a dent. To; If you have a computer with a virus in it all the other computers will be infected also. How original huh?

Puternut

• talesin
    talesin

I'm not surprised you went home and slept after that - what an ordeal. I would be exhausted as well!

Yes, the 'oyster and pearl' story is one they have recycled many times, I would imagine. It's been over 25 years and I still remember it. And you're right, it's a good analogy (I was going to say illustration, but it suddenly struck me that it is a JW term ) and that's why they use it.

Cool, I never thought that way before. Thanks, Luke!

Thanks for the update.

talesin

• A Paduan
    A Paduan
    he starts saying how jehovah gives people time to heal and for the ones that dont heal we disfellowship and label apostates. then i remember being an exampe of him using an oyster. i have to admit it was pretty smart

Really ?

The grit that doesn't heal (ie. the apostate) eventually becomes a pearl - people who will dive into "the deep" break oysters open, eat them for breakfast, and take the pearls away.

It all depends on what you want to hear, and what you're open to.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Point of the talk: Pain is good. If you resist the pain caused by the organization then you are evil.

• shamus
    shamus

Luke,

What, no "friends" at the kingdumb hall? I always found that lots of people were far far far out in right field for me, LOL!

Most of my friends were bad assosiation(s) from other congregations all over the city, LOL!

I was a single brother in the hall, and I can cound on one hand the amount of times that I got invited over for a meal, LOL! Not that I wanted one... they were soooooooooo boring. What the hell do you talk about with those people?

I dunno. Just musing about the strange religion.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

No Elsewhere. Must I be Phineas, and defend the troof against the copulators of the lie with my spear of Truth? Once again you are thinking with worldly wisdom, and not with the eye of discernment. The meaning of the speaker, is that we are all of the Bivalve Mollusc class, the latter day Oyster, the Antitypical Bearded Breaded Clam, and as such we should siphon nourishment from Jehovah's ocean, and make pearls out of irritants or something before we are harvested and eaten by the Faithful and Discreet Slave, God's Chef representative bride class on earth.

It's murmurers like you that twist everything.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit