Crossing-over with John Edwards

by Waygooder64 53 Replies latest jw friends

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

rem. I respect you for who you are and do not wish to be interpreted as bashing you personally. I do find this subject very interesting, so can we agree that we already disagree, but still say our peace? Here we go...

Dark Uncle,

::The skeptics have to bash this to protect their own world view. They do not want to believe that this is a possibility.

Nope, it's just reality. I actually think it would be great and wonderful if the claims were true. I just don't *need* them to be true and I have done the research to find that there is no real evidence of psychic powers. Ironically it seems that the believers are the real closed-minded ones - they will never really do the research and test their worldview because to do so and find out that it needs changing would be too painful.

Sorry about your anti-intellectual anti-science bias. Fortunatelly there are people out there unlike you so that we can enjoy the modern convieniences of science... such as lower infant mortality, cured diseases, and instant communications including this discussion board. I'm not sure what terrible thing science and critical thinking has done to you to deserve such derision.

rem

I have posted your last reply in its entirety so as to avoid context errors, and to make fewer windows open on my desktop.

::The skeptics have to bash this to protect their own world view. They do not want to believe that this is a possibility

This is something I wrote. Looking back I think it is sloppy, as starry eyed new agers-of which I am oft accused of being-can be guilty of the same mindset.

Nope, it's just reality

Surely you're not suggesting that you know the length and width and depth of physical reality.

I actually think it would be great and wonderful if the claims were true. I just don't *need* them to be true and I have done the research to find that there is no real evidence of psychic powers

There's that wonderful word: True. I think it's related to "truth" but I coud be wrong. Do you *need* them to be "not-true"? You mention research. What did that entail? Were you counting subatomic particles in a bubble chamber? Were you observing test subject trying to manipulate chance with "their minds"? In all fairness, I have not done those experiments either-but it would be fun. I'd also state that lack of evidence is not evidence in itself.

Ironically it seems that the believers are the real closed-minded ones - they will never really do the research and test their worldview because to do so and find out that it needs changing would be too painful.

I very much AGREE with you on this point. Believers are such interesting creatures. I "believe" that believers do much damage to any kind of open minded dialoge and experimentation protocol. Changing one's beliefs IS painful, but if we are brave enough to go through with it, what we suffer is worth the goal.

Sorry about your anti-intellectual anti-science bias

Ouch. That actually stung for a bit. I choose not to take umbrage. I have loved science since a very small child. I wanted to be a palaeontologist, I could even say the word (I obviously can't spell it). In middle school and high school I was aiming towards chemistry. I knew that would be a fight what with being JW and all (not as much of a fight as the gay thing though). I was a lab assistant my seinor year, until a lab mishap. I then corrected tests and papers for the rest of the year. I attended one year of colledge, again focusing on chemistry. My grades sucked, my heart wasn't in it. For a number of reasons I quit school and worked full time for the next decade. Anti-science indeed.

Fortunatelly there are people out there unlike you so that we can enjoy the modern convieniences of science... such as lower infant mortality, cured diseases, and instant communications including this discussion board.

Yes, thank Jehovah, as he and I like nothing more than killing babies, giving people piles, and keeping them illiterate and stupid.

I'm not sure what terrible thing science and critical thinking has done to you to deserve such derision

Science and Critical thinking are intangible things; they have not wronged me. The mentality that is prevalent among scientists saddens me, they are no longer have an explorer's heart. They have sold the soul of science to politician's and corporations. True our lives are good, but I think they could have more quality.

I encountered this quote on an older thread, I think it bears relevance here:

In a similar vein the scientician does not merely say, "The emperic proof is the best method of gaining facts in the sense realm," but goes on to say, "Only those propositions that can be empirically verified are true." Unfortunately, that proposition itself cannot be empirically verified. There is no empirical proof that empirical proof alone is real. Thus, as Smith says, "The contention that there are no truths save those of science is not itself a scientific truth, and thus in affirming it scientism contradicts itself."

Respond away. The way I see it, neither of us is right or wrong. In the grander scheme of things our being right or wrong does not truly matter.

Peace.

• Steve Lowry
    Steve Lowry

Y?all can debate back and forth as to who is and who isn?t a fake when it comes to who can and who cannot speak to the dead. But, I have experienced first hand the other dimension (many years ago), and whatever it is, is does exist. What the hell it is I do not know. But there, it IS nevertheless. Dead loved ones or demons? I dunno. Maybe something none of us have even considered yet. But one thing is for sure, there is something there. And to my personal experience it ain?t very nice.

• Ghosthunter
    Ghosthunter

I believe in psychics. However, I have a problem with psychics that perform "on demand" like John Edwards. I have a personal friend who is a psychic/clairvoyent and I believe she is the "real deal". Coincidentally, she is also an ex-JW and we met quite by accident. She gets "impressions" from people and places that we visit. Her impressions are almost always dead on. I have witnessed her leaving places or rooms where the negative energy is too much for her. She is not a "professional" psychic and she's never been paid for her "services". That is another reason I believe she is real.

My $.02.

GH

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I've experienced a "reading" first-hand many (early '60's) years ago. I had been invited to a "circle" by my (then) siser-in-law, a "just-for fun" evening for the gals. I WAS married at the time---had NO intentions of divorce---and I laughed when it was my "turn" to have the Lady "read" me.

I never said a word---she of course, didn't know my name (we didn't meet with her beforehand) so there was no way that this was "staged". She said to me that there was a man in my future (it would be a serious romantic involvement), he was blond---thick hair---and she "saw" him with a hammer in his hand. I don't recall anything else she said (frankly I forgot it), and we all had a good laugh after she left.

About a year later, my marriage fell apart-we divorced-and I ended up on my first date in seven years---a blind date my best friend arranged cuz there was a dinner & party she wanted me to go to with her and her hubby (it was for couples only) and I met her brother's best friend that night. We really hit it off and started ended up seeing only each other (got engaged after a year---but broke up after three 1/2 years).

His description?---very blonde, with a "Kennedy-type" head of hair! His occupation?---Sheet metal worker, installed heating ducts, etc and used a HAMMER every day! One day I happened to remember that psychic saying all those things---eight years before!!! It kinda blew me away cuz it all sounded so obscure and laughable at that time!

Too much "coincidence" for me too dismiss and I HAVE to admit that there ARE those who CAN "do this" and aren't out for glory or to make the $$$$$$ under pretense.

I had always wanted to "look into" the Paranormal, etc....but in the late '60's I got tangle up with a mind-controlling religion that forbid ANY dealings with anything interesting or fascinating! (Can ya GUESS who?) So a lot of years of looking into these things for myself and deciding what *I* thought was credible or not----were definetely WASTED!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

I've experienced a "reading" first-hand many (early '60's) years ago. I had been invited to a "circle" by my (then) siser-in-law, a "just-for fun" evening for the gals. I WAS married at the time---had NO intentions of divorce---and I laughed when it was my "turn" to have the Lady "read" me.

I never said a word---she of course, didn't know my name (we didn't meet with her beforehand) so there was no way that this was "staged". She said to me that there was a man in my future (it would be a serious romantic involvement), he was blond---thick hair---and she "saw" him with a hammer in his hand. I don't recall anything else she said (frankly I forgot it), and we all had a good laugh after she left.

About a year later, my marriage fell apart-we divorced-and I ended up on my first date in seven years---a blind date my best friend arranged cuz there was a dinner & party she wanted me to go to with her and her hubby (it was for couples only) and I met her brother's best friend that night. We really hit it off and started ended up seeing only each other (got engaged after a year---but broke up after three 1/2 years).

His description?---very blonde, with a "Kennedy-type" head of hair! His occupation?---Sheet metal worker, installed heating ducts, etc and used a HAMMER every day! One day I happened to remember that psychic saying all those things---eight years before!!! It kinda blew me away cuz it all sounded so obscure and laughable at that time!

Too much "coincidence" for me too dismiss and I HAVE to admit that there ARE those who CAN "do this" and aren't out for glory or to make the $$$$$$ under pretense.

I had always wanted to "look into" the Paranormal, etc....but in the late '60's I got tangle up with a mind-controlling religion that forbid ANY dealings with anything interesting or fascinating! (Can ya GUESS who?) So a lot of years of looking into these things for myself and deciding what *I* thought was credible or not----were definetely WASTED!

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

AAAACCCCHHHH!!!!!!

Sorry about the double post-----and I can't figure out how to dele it :o(

hugs and embarrassment,

Annie

• Mary
    Mary
    Rem said: he is using standard "cold reading" techniques. In some cases he has been caught "hot reading" by getting information before the reading (Dateline caught this, I believe).

Well I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Rem (hey Rem, did you miss me??). John Edwards is a con-artist as far as I'm concerned. We learned about these so-called Psychics in my Psychology class and he fits the bill to a T. First sign is that they talk very fast, which he does. That way, he can be very vague about just about everything so that if he doesn't get a "hit", he can quickly move on. What gets me most is when he says stuff like "...I'm seeing something in the chest area..." to some woman in her 60s who's lost her husband. Chances are, her husband either had a heart attack, lung cancer, pulminary embolism or a stroke---all in the chest area. I've seem this guy get so many wrong answers, that he has absolutely no credibility at all.

Syliva Brown is another con-artist. I've seen her on Larry King Live giving "readings" over the phone to someone she's never met. Even if you give her the benefit of the doubt and say she can commute with the dead, wouldn't it take a bit longer than 1 second to "channel" the energy?? Even when Saul visited the Witch of Endor, it apparently took longer than 1 second for her to do whatever it is that she did.

Some friends of mine invited me to go to a Psychic Fair with them a while ago. They know that I think these people are con-artists but I agreed to give it a whirl. My one friend asked the psychic about a former boyfriend who had recently committed suicide. She asked "does he regret what he did?" The answer was, naturally "yes of course he does and he wants you to know that he loves you." She took this as gospel. Then it was my turn. Faking distress I asked if my husband who died the previous year was happy where he was. The answer was "yes he's very happy, although he misses you alot." I responded: "Really, gee that's quite amazing.....to say I'VE NEVER BEEN MARRIED!!" LMAO!!! Good thing she didn't have a gun cause by the look on her face, she wanted to see ME crossing over to the other side!! She was very indignite that I could possibly be that low and emphasized that she can only go by what information I give her. If I lie about something, then of course she's going to get a wrong "reading". I said "but if you can really commute with the dead, you shouldn't have gotten any vibes from me at all seeing as I don't really have a dead husband." She ignored me totally and went on to the next victim. It cost me $20 but it was worth it to see her squirm.

I don't know what happens at death, but I don't believe that all these so called "psychics" have any powers to commute with the dead---it's just a way to make money.

Steve Lowry said: But one thing is for sure, there is something there. And to my personal experience it ain?t very nice

I'd be very interested to hear your experience Steve. Will you share it with us? Even though I'm sceptical of psychics, I do agree that there is something beyond our physical world......

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

John Kerry will be the nominee.

I think all the hype about Edwards is to keep the Democrats on the front page of the newspapers.

Edwards is now running for vice-president, not the presidency.

***** Rub a Dub

• Mulan
    Mulan

Rubadub, I would love to believe this is real, but I stay openly skeptical.............I am open to the possibilities but still skeptical until I hear something really concrete.

Sylvia Brown is on Montel's show every Wednesday, almost, and I am astonished at the things she says and predicts. Once when she was on Larry King, during the Chandra Levy disappearance, she said she saw a pregnant woman in water. She didn't say it was Chandra, and said it was something she was seeing, and maybe it was her. Chandra wasn't pregnant, and they found her remains in a D.C. park. But............last year they found Lacy Peterson's body in water, and she was from the same town as Chandra. Maybe just a coincidence, but it gave me chills when I remembered that segment.

I still watche Montel's show on Wednesdays to see Sylvia. I watched John Edward's show once, and he isn't specific enough. He never has names, just the "J" or "S" name thing. Sylvia has real names and the audience members are shocked when she says the name of the person she is inquiring about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit