Who is the Faithful and Wise Servant? It's JOSEPH, of course!

by Leolaia 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• TheListener
    TheListener

I would like to add a thought provoking analysis myself.

But I don't have one.

You guys are good.

Does this qualify as smooth and deceptive talk from apostates?

• jgnat
    jgnat

If you can bear one more reference to the Watchtower, I wouldn't be surprised if a future article is titled, "The Faithful and Discreet Slave, a Modern Joseph"

I did a double-take with the last WT article. It kept referring to the "Law of Love" being above all others. Then they had to spoil it all by telling the faithful that obedience is the highest form of love we can show Jehovah.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

jgnat....LOL, that would be hilarious! Such timely food from the slave!

Old Soul, thanks for reviving the thread.

• Double Edge
    Double Edge

I just read this thread which was linked off of another thread. Very interesting read, thanks!

• gumby
    gumby
    Clearly Joseph was well remembered as the servant who had been appointed over the entire house of first Potiphar and then Pharaoh

Actually if I remember right, ol' Joseph was playin hanky panky with potiphar's wify and so she helped him move up the political ladder. *scratches head tryin to get a mental pic of the pic in "my book of bible stories"

Interesting on what some REAL bible scholars say about this scripture. Keep in mind, Fred Franz relied heavily these "wordly scholars." He had to PURPOSELY lie about it's meaning to jive with the "Governing Body" idea.

Luke 12:42-46)

Commentary Critical and Explanatory
    on the Whole Bible

41-48. unto us or even to all?--us the Twelve, or all this vast audience?

42. Who then, &c.--answering the question indirectly by another question, from which they were left to gather what it would be:--To you certainly in the first instance, representing the "stewards" of the "household" I am about to collect, but generally to all "servants" in My house.

People's New Testament

45. Who then is a faithful and wise servant? In Luke 12:42-46, is given a similar parable in answer to a question of Peter. There the Lord speaks of "the faithful and wise steward;" here he describes a steward, but speaks of him as a servant. Ruler. Preachers, elders, deacons, Sunday-school superintendents, teachers. Household. All under their religious charge.

John Wesley's Explanatory Notes
    on the Whole Bible

12:41 Speakest thou this parable to us - Apostles and disciples: Or to all - The people? Does it concern us alone? Or all men?
    12:42

Who is that faithful and wise steward - Our Lord's answer manifestly implies, that he had spoken this parable primarily (though not wholly) to the ministers of his word: Whom his lord shall make ruler over his household - For his wisdom and faithfulness".

So although many see the "servant" as a teacher or leader, none see it as a select body of men in a central location that ones must depend upon for their service such as the WTBTS implies.

For the GB to admit to this would undermine their belief structure.

Gumby

Gumby

• Clam
    Clam

This gives me the opportunity to bump this thread, but I've just seen an interesting documentary about Joseph on the History Channel.

Documentary might not be an ideal description as it suggests a presentation of facts. I found it extraordinary that he is depicted in so many different ways and often to simply support a religious agenda.

One in particular was an attempt to respresent Joseph and Mary as lifelong celibates, ie they had no sexual relations before and indeed after the birth of Jesus. A catholic attempt to increase their chasteness I believe.

I was also interested to learn of the reverence Joseph enjoys amongst coptic christians, as well as a catholic custom of burying an effigy of him if you're desparate to sell your house quickly. Never heard that one!

Anyway, any people newish to this site why not read the excellent article by Leolaia. It's about the real Faithful and Discrete Slave, not the pretend one in NY.

Clam

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Very good and interesting research, I feel part of the answer is found in Peters words just prior to Jesus saying the FD slave in Luke 12:41 Peter asked, “Lord, is that illustration just for us or for everyone?”

I too feel it is for anyone who follow Jesus teachings and not a slave class, we are all responsible to be faithful and discreet to our God and His Son. But thanks again for all the research and hard work and for your thoughts.

abr

• *lost*
    *lost*

bumped

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit