Who is the Faithful and Wise Servant? It's JOSEPH, of course!

by Leolaia 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Though we go about our research in different ways, it's interesting that your conclusion:

I think the f & d slave refers to those disciples who heed the teaching of Jesus.

Is the same as mine, (without referring to extra-Biblical souces). I do find it thought provoking that your research strongly implies that Joseph would have been cosidered the exemplary "faithful and wise (discrete) slave". I've heard that intrerpretation before, it has strong merit, and I agree. with it. Makes perfect sense, based on the fact that the writers of the NT were Jewish and hence were learned in the Jewish Bible, traditions and perhaps some of the extra-Biblical sources you quoted from.

Good post.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Everyone who has ever read Wodehouse knows that the faithful and wise servant is Jeeves.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Peacefulpete and Narkissos....Any comments? I would be interested to know if either of you have anything to add.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

Very nice essay Leolaia, I'm flattered that you think I would have anything meaningful to add. I will mention that while the language seems dependent upon the Joseph motiuf specifically, it also resembles that of Gen 24 and Abrahams's unnamed "Servant, the eldest of his houshold who was ruling all that he (Abraham) had." The Joseph story seems to have taken on a life of it's own as you demonstrated.

I wonder tho if the source was Q. Nearly every church has interpreted these passages as license for ecclesiastic authority. This concluded thru interpreting the word "houshold or "attendents" as the church not the world in need of saving. Is this interpretation the unintended result of reading the Joseph tradition thru the lens of later church hierchy, or a meaningful detail intended by the author of Matt? Luke seems to elaborate in a way that suggests he at least intended to identify the servant as church leadership when he concludes with the idea that those entrusted with much will be dealt with more severely. The idea that the assignmet was not given uniformly thru disciplship seems to imply church structue. Maybe I'm reading into it, but in what way were some less accountable than others if all are entrusted with the same knowledge? Something must have been delegated according to ability. This either is a gnostic like view of the immature psychic Xtians or referent to a developing laity clegy distinction. The later would be anachronistic if viewed as a Q teaching. The former would be unlikely use of a Jewish tradition. So on these fragile grounds I wonder if this was not a late use of the well known Joseph tradition to justify the developing hierchy. This easier for me to accept as I still hold that the fundemental Matt and Luke texts were not established until early 2nd century.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

PP....Well, as we saw with the Matthean logion on Peter being given the keys to the kingdom of heaven (Matthew 16), a later use by the Western churches to support their ecclesiastical authority does not necessarily mean the logion originated in that context.

In the parable, the glorification of the faithful servant by granting him authority over all the lord's domain is something that comes after the lord's return, so I would regard this promise of authority as eschatological in nature -- not referring to existing relations. The promise would then parallel the other promise in Q that "at the renewal of all things, when the Son of Man sits on his glorious throne, you who have followed me will also sit on twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel." "You may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom and sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel" (Matthew 19:28; Luke 22:30). This notion derives directly from Jewish merkebah mysticism and is also attested in Daniel 7:9, 13-14, Revelation 4:4, 20:4, b. Sanhedrin 38b (which designates David as sitting on a heavenly throne judging the world), and Tan. B Leviticus 7:

"Our rabbis say, 'What does 'thrones' in the plural mean? In the time to come, the Holy One, blessed be he, will take his seat, and the angels will set up thrones for the great ones of Israel, and they will be seated and will judge with the Holy One, blessed be he, the nations of the world, as it says: 'The Lord enters into judgment with the elders and princes of his people.' "

The allusion to Daniel 7:9 might also reflect Psalm 122:4-5 which says "there the thrones of judgment were set up, the thrones of the house of David". So imho, the eschatological granting of authority to the apostles is perfectly in keeping with Jewish apocalyptic tradition, and the parable functions within Q and early Christian communities as a warning to those who fail to practice the word. Because of the theme of the Lord "delaying," it would likely belong to the latter, more apocalyptic layers of Q (e.g. 60s and 70s). As for the distinction between the servant and the household, this would not be much different from the distinction between the apostles/elders and the rest of the community that we find in Matthew 18, the Didache, Luke 11:49, 1 Corinthians 12:28, Galatians 1-2, etc. I see no reason to assume the church structure of the Pastorals here, as the early community still had its leadership as did the Qumrun community.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

An interesting thread as always, and very little (for me) to add!

As to the epi + dative (pasin tois huparkhousin autou, "over all his belongings") structure, it's common to Matthew and Luke but has no parallel in similar expressions of authority bestowal (very indicative of Q). The closest formal parallels I've seen are in Luke 9:1; 10:19 (accusative, didômi... exousian epi panta ta daimonia / pasan tèn dunamin tou ekhthrou) or Acts 8:27 (genitive, hos èn epi pasès tès gazès autès).

The word oikonomos (steward), on the other hand, is definitely Lukan (also 16:1,3,8) and points to the authority system of the Pauline and post-Pauline churches (1 Corinthians 4:1f; Galatians 4:2; Titus 1:7; 1 Peter 4:10). Maybe here we already have an example of Western use of an Eastern tradition...

Fwiw this also reminded me the contrast between Moses and Jesus in Hebrews 3 commenting Numbers 12:7:

Therefore, brothers and sisters, holy partners in a heavenly calling, consider that Jesus, the apostle and high priest of our confession, was faithful (pistos) to the one who appointed him, just as Moses also "was faithful in all God's house." Yet Jesus is worthy of more glory than Moses, just as the builder of a house has more honor than the house itself. (For every house is built by someone, but the builder of all things is God.) Now Moses was faithful in all God's house as a servant (therapôn) to testify to the things that would be spoken later. Christ, however, was faithful over God's house (epi ton oikon autou) as a son, and we are his house if we hold firm the confidence and the pride that belong to hope.
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

This deserves a bump for the young'uns.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

Interesting... I think I missed this the first time around!

I really think that people shouldn't insult Leolaia by comparing her to WT writers, however.

• OldSoul
    OldSoul

I am sorry I missed this thread earlier. WOW!

That was very well done, Leolaia!

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, my memory must be shot. I read the thread, and found it interesting and surprising. Then I noticed that I had commented on it last year. It was well worth resurrecting.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit