I saved a life today

by RubyTuesday 28 Replies latest jw friends

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Sentinel you reminded me of a insect lifesaving experience just last year. I have a weakness for dragonflys. I think they're a pretty neat creation. While out camping and lying by the beach I saw a huge dragonfly (I've never seen one so big) in the water struggling so I went into retrieve it. Put it on a rock to dry, it would dry and then go flying right back in the water. I saved it a couple of times but then realized it was at the metamorphosis stage where it was dying anyway. Oh well, I tried.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug
    he kept saying "roll me over, my back is broke". I told him he had to stay still and that the paramedics were on their way.

This is important !! You did exactly the right thing by not moving him. Too many people do not realize you should never move an injured person, wait for the paramedics. They have the training and the equipment to handle an injury such as you describe.

Ruby I have been a duck lover for years and actually collect them, at least the kind that don't need to be fed and watered. Bug

• Undecided
    Undecided

I treat animals like God treats humans. If they please me I will feed and pet them, if I don't like them I just kill them. After all, we were made in his image, right?

Ken P.

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

Ruby: What a great story! I'm glad you saved that duck.. I love them! I also stop and get turtles out of the road down here and take them back and put them in my stock pond. I hate to see animals get hit by a car! I've loved this thread. I don't have my own life saving story (besides animals) but would like to share one about my son and brother, because I think they're heroes:

My son and I got in an argument while at a family reunion. He was 17 at the time. The reunion was at a large camp out in the middle of miles and miles of cornfields. There was no talking to him. He said he was going to walk home (900 miles, yeah right). He started walking down this steep gravel road that led away from the camp. I had my brother and sister go after him in the truck to talk to him.

They didn't come back for a long while. My sister came back about 20 minutes later, screaming that we had to call 911. We couldn't get a story out of her. She called 911, and she said that a Jeep with two children, driving fast, had sped through the stop sign and hit a Chevy Tahoe coming through the intersection. The children were thrown from the vehicle (it was an open Jeep with a rollbar, the children weren't belted in) and that the people in the Tahoe were alright, but that the children were thrown into the ditch and the man's leg was caught under the dashboad of the Jeep and it was on fire.

She said my son and brother ran down to the scene and pulled the girls up the embankment, and the man out of the Jeep. They had to literally tug and pull to get this man's leg out from under the dashboard. After he gave his statement to the police, my son came back to camp covered with blood. He threw himself into my arms and sobbed all afternoon. He said he just held the little girl in his arms til the police came and she was choking up blood and he just kept telling her to hang on. He was sure the little girl was dead, and couldn't get it out of his mind. My brother cried most of the afternoon also, but was happy that my son was right there by his side, behind him, doing what was needed to be done to help those children and their father. There was a farmer that happened along, but he just stood and watched.

We called up there to the hospital later and found out the girls survived, but one was still in a coma, and the man had several severe injuries over his body. He was later charged with several different counts of child endangerment, going through the stop sign, etc. I was just glad they all survived and that my son and I got in that fight that day. This is a very isolated place, and it would have been awhile before anyone had come along. The corn was 6 feet tall, and it was later said by the camp counselors that everyone just rushes through that stop sign because there's never any cars coming. Several of them said they'd always done that, even though they couldn't see down the other road,since the corn was so tall!

Anyway, I think my son and brother are both heroes. If they ever read this: I love you guys and think you're the bravest men I know!

CG

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

What wonderful stories! I saved a couple of turtles once who were determinedly attempting to cross the road, and they paid me back by peeing all over my hand. That's okay -- easily washed!

Nina

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Some of you are real heros! Don't know if I could do what some of you have.Clamityjane...awesome!! Countrygirl...dammit ...your story made me smear my eyemakeup.

Life is precious no matter how big or small. I think helping creatures brings out the best in us... makes us more human.

Thanks all ..for sharing.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

What wonderfully sweet and heartwarming accounts! Among other animals of all sorts, we raised two kinds of ducks. We had them from the "just-hatched" stage until they had developed their adult feathers. We kept them in a fenced-in pen (I didn't realize that they had learned how to FLY as yet) and one night we had a strong rain that flooded the road in front of our house. In the dark, it must have looked like a pond to them (even though we had a kiddy pool in their pen) and they flew the coop and sat on the road---and an eighteen-wheeler or two (or so we think) got'em all.

Needless to say I cried for DAYS....sorry if I put a bummer on this thread---I only wish MY story would have ended up like yours.......

hugs,

Annie

• shotgun
    shotgun

That's cool Ruby...it feels so good to help the Afleck duck.

What a cool way to meet chicks too....Ruby If I laid along side the road like a lame duck or quack would you stop and take me home or dump me in a pond?

CJ and CG..What incredible stories

• shotgun
    shotgun

Sunspot...please do not write any chidrens books the endings really suck.

In the dark, it must have looked like a pond to them (even though we had a kiddy pool in their pen) and they flew the coop and sat on the road---and an eighteen-wheeler or two (or so we think) got'em all.
  • Country Girl
    Country Girl

What I find really heartening about this thread is that there are so many loving, caring people out there. That is just so awesome. Alot of threads on this DB deal with really painful emotional experiences, sexuality differences, politics, etc., and the usual "Jw's do this, JW's do that". It's nice to find a thread where it's evidenced that people can be so good, and kind, and compassionate and it has *nothing* to do with JW's.. just people being wonderful people. I love it, and it brings a deep sense of hope and contentment to me. Just wanted to say that. =)

CG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit