I saved a life today

by RubyTuesday 28 Replies latest jw friends

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I was on my way to work today when I see something in the road...looks like a dead bird.People are just passing by it, one car almost hit it...again.There are two older ladies on the side of the road that look upset..one is crying.So I stop and I see that it is a duck.The ladies tell me they saw it get hit by a car.I walk over to the duck and scooped it up thinking I will just get it out of the road.There is a nearby pond so I go over to it, lay the duck near the edge and it starts to move...more and more. It stands up and shakes out its feathers and staggers closer to the water and jumps in and swims away.The ladies come up to me and start hugging me and telling me I saved the duck.What a great feeling!!

Any simular experiences?

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

That's great! Yes, there have been many times I've stopped the car to get a turtle, snake, etc off the road before it got squished, and many a time I've narrowly avoided deer, rabbits, squirrels, etc.

It's a great feeling to prevent an unneccesary death!

Hopefully the duck learned from the experience.

• kls
    kls

What a lucky duck. I used to raise ducks and they do have personality. I have rescued dogs,racoons and a horse. You are very carring and i am sure that duck say's thankyou.Blowing A Kiss 2 KLS

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

A couple of weeks ago we came upon an accident where a snowmobile came into a head on collision with a van.

We stopped and asked if 911 was called. The bystanders said yes but that they could not find the snowmobiler. I jumped out of the truck and went running into the ditch with two other people and started digging frantically in the snow. I found his hand, which was blue and limp. I followed his arm and followed that to find where his head might be. He was face down with his arm twisted up behind his head. I started clearing the snow away from his face, (there was blood coming from his nose) while the others were digging out his body. At this point I thought he was dead, but noticed that he started breathing on his own. The more he came too the more agitated he became, he kept saying "roll me over, my back is broke". I told him he had to stay still and that the paramedics were on their way. Once the paramedics got there I stayed with him a little longer while they stablized him and then I went home.

He flew 22 meters over the van and went into the snow like a human bullet. His helmet was blown off with the impact of the accident. He is lucky to be alive. He was fortunate that we had a lot of snow the day before.

I found out that he is okay. He had two lower broken vertabrae on his back and a bummed up shoulder. I met him a couple of weeks after, as he ended being a client of my firm and his mom found out that I was one of the ones that dug him out and she phoned to thank me for saving his life and sent me a beautiful bouquet of flowers.

cj

• Special K
    Special K

What a nice story about the duck.... I'm so glad you stopped and got it out of the road.

Calamity Jane..

...They are right.. your efforts probably saved this guys life. Good job in knowing what to do and what to look for.

Special K

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Awwwww.. Ruby is such a sweetheart!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Nice one, CJ...Very often people just "Freeze" in such circumstances. It is great that you had the presence of mind to do what you did. I have been taught some first aid , but never been tested asyou were.

Ruby T - Good work too. I know some people who would would call people like us Quackers for stuff like that , but It must have been satisfying to see him ok.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

That is great, Ruby. I tried to save a turtle like that, once, but it was a snappin turtle and he got me.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

Ruby, from an ardent bird lover thank you for being so kind.not many people would have taken the time to care.

I bet you made those ladies day

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

To save a life, the life of any living thing is a miracle that stays with you forever and ever.....

What great experiences you have shared here!!

My first husband would always save a bee or wasp. He would pick them up gently from off someone else--or they would just stay on his arm or hand or finger. They never stung him...not once. He would always let them go up into the outside air. He said it was fear that made them sting. Whatever! I got stung lots of times, and I was afraid I would get stung. He also handled snakes--even poisonous ones and never got bitten. He knew how to get them behind the head and hold them out in front of him. He let them go just as carefully. Some of his friends got really freaked out when he handled a cotton mouth like that. He just had a way with creatures. Truth is, he got along better with them than with his fellow humans. Odd.

I am totally in awe of snakes--but I respect them. We had a huge black snake on our front porch a couple years ago, and I walked right next to it as it slowly moved off the porch, through the front yard, across the street and into another yard. I had absolutely no fear of it at the time. It was curious of me too, but it didn't slither off. It took its good ole time, and I enjoyed the company for awhile. Because we live in a new sub-division, this was very unusual.

I look at creatures a bit differently all in all.....even spiders. They each serve a purpose, and their life is very short as it is. I will gather a spider up into a tissue if I can manage it and let it go outside. Now the big black jumpy ones, well they still get the swatter. I'm not perfect

/<

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit