It's Lent

by Yerusalyim 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• talesin
    talesin

simplesally

hmm, I've never heard the part about 'doing something good', either, although was familiar with the 'giving up' by many friends over the years. I don't think we have "Fat Tuesday" here in Eastern Canada. I'll have to check w/ my Italian friends (most practice Lent, and I KNOW they love a feast). Thanks for the info, it's one of those things ... I never learned much about ... bein' a pagan and all.

tal

edit:

Zoewrex - I know Catholics, Orthodox, Anglican & Baptists that do it - not sure who 'started' it

elsewhere -

• simplesally
    simplesally

Tale ---------- when I went to Catholic school, they said it would be better to DO something FOR God rather than giving up candy. They said giving up "hitting your brother" should be something that should be given up all year.......as was giving up lying or disobeying your mom......hehe...

I understand the difference, but the idea of sacrifice is also something that can teach lessons. But so can working in a soup kitchen. I had a boss who said he refused to make fun of people or talk behind their backs during lent...........believe me, it was so funny because he was a real catty man and it was always rolling off his tongue.

• bebu
    bebu

The pastor at our church is a great one for the lenten season. Though protestant, he has spent a lot of time in Catholic monasteries. He and his wife also ran a retreat center for years. He's extremely introspective, warm, and calm. A person you feel gives you ALL his attention, and never in a hurry. (When my Catholic mom visited, she raved about him...)

He has done much to bring traditions to our attention. When he offers them, they are very vibrant things, and not dead customs.

I am not going to give up anything--except, perhaps limit my JWD time in the evening so that I can read and discuss certain topics (eg., parenting our adolescent) with my husband.

I have to think HARD if I want to commit to doing something--I don't like making commitments that are too hard to keep.

bebu

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

It's actually recommended you either give up something you enjoy/treasure during lent, or do something you normally don't do. In that spirit, I'm giving up masturbation...seriously.

I'm taking up praying the Office of the Liturgy. Catholics have divided the day into seven set times of prayer. The prayers consist of reading psalms, selected readings, and intercessory prayer. I've decided to pray three of the hours.

For those who give up something, a food, etc, Sundays are "free". Since Sundays are all "mini Easters" and a Feast Day of Christ, it's a celebration, so if you give up chocolate for lent, Sunday is a day you can eat chocolate.

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

IM fat

Yesterday was Tuesday

Today is my bible study, I think I will give that up

• shamus
    shamus
    I'm gonna smoke a J and rub the ash on my forehead!

Elsewhere,

I am cleaning up my ashes right now, rolling another one, and skiing up to Kinney Lake. That is my lent for the year... I'm packing sandwiches and marijuana. The sun is out... what a marvelous day to celebrate!

• talesin
    talesin

sally

giving up "hitting your brother sister" should be something that should be given up all year.......

wish someone woulda told my brother that when we were kids - so that's why we didn't have Lent ...

(are you havin a girls' nite out next week? say yes)

Yeru,

So does that mean we won't be hearing from you on Sundays?

(sorry, I couldn't resist)

seriously, to you and all who practice this rite,

Peace, Joy & Love for your most holy time of year

talesin

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

Yesterday was pancake Tuesday. When I was a kid, growing up in a dub family, my mom still made pancakes on Shrove Tuesday. At some point she stopped doing this, I guess when she learned it was "pagan" or that it was a Babylonish practice, (I wonder what Chaldean pancakes are like?)

Yesterday evening I made up some batter and after supper I cooked a few pancakes and served them English style with sugar and lemon juice. It brought back good memories. I'm not giving up eggs for lent but I thought the tradition was a fun thing to do.

3rd

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Thridson,

GOOD FOR YOU! Rituals and traditons are important to the human psyche even if we don't attach a religious meaning to it.

Talesin,

I'll check in on Sunday's but I'll be typing one handed.

Thanks for the well wishes...

Yeru...who needs to wash his head.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit