It's Lent

by Yerusalyim 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Happy Ash Wednesday all. Now begins the season of penance anticipating the resurrection.

Our Knights of Columbus Council sponsored a "Fat Tuesday" Pancake dinner last night. Great success, over 220 people came and stuffed themselves on pancakes, bacon, and sausage. A good time was had by all. Mardi Gras is over (thank GOD). I'm not a fan AT ALL of the Mardi Gras celebrations.

Enjoy your lent (from the Latin for SPRING).

Mike

• talesin
    talesin

Yeru,

I was wondering what "Fat Tuesday" was all about. Never heard of it before (although I am familiar with Lent and the sacrifice involved, similar to Ramadan although not as strict). Sounds like you had a major feast.

So, whatcha givin' up for Lent? 40 days, let's see ................

chocolate ??

talesin

• donkey
    donkey

Lent or Borrowed?

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Thanks Mike! We're heading to Ash Wednesday service this afternoon and missed Madri Gras yesterday due to the weather. I'm giving soda up for Lent and am going to concentrate on studying the Bible now that we're settled for a few months.

In PA we called it Fasnacht Day and churches would sell donughts for Tues, Morning. My husband said Southern Baptists don't reconize (celebrate) this season and so we haven't for the past three years.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Zoe,

Many Baptists don't, but since I had Catholic ties for a few years, I still like to remember it. I'm giving up sweets. *ugh* I still can't believe I'm doing it.

Andi

• simplesally
    simplesally

Talesin, Fat Tuesday is the last day before Lent. Lent is a time for repentance/penance and also people either give something up (doing something or eating something) or they do something good (ie go to church every day during Lent). So Fat Tuesday (mardi=tuesday, gras=fat) is the horrah before the giving up time..........

Poor BG.......... can you use Splenda or Sweet and Low??

• Zoewrex
    Zoewrex

Why don't Baptists reconize this Season? Sweets!? Auugggggg Do sugar free 'sweets' count? Jello & fresh fruits would usually keep my sweet tooth calm. I was never Catholic, and can only guess this was one of the Seasons Protestants brought with them during the Reformation.

• Sara Annie
    Sara Annie

Every year for lent my family gives up eating out. With two kids and two careers and a busy schedule this is a huge sacrifice for us. Sometimes its so much easier to stop and pick something up or order pizza or just go where someone waits on me for a change...

There are positive side effects, of course. We spend a lot more 'dinner table' time together, I get to actually use all those skills I picked up in culinary school, and every year my husband loses about 10 pounds and I shed 4-5 as a result of the healthier fare we're eating.

Edited to add: We also each pick something positive to commit to doing during Lent. This year, I'm writing a letter each day to someone in my life whether they are far away or live in the same city (or house for that matter).

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'm gonna smoke a J and rub the ash on my forehead!

• badboy
    badboy

Knights of Columbus?

isn't they supposed 2 own the Yankee stadium where the jws meeting?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit