Can you remember some of the good things brother and sisters did for you?

by LyinEyes 25 Replies latest jw friends

• scootergirl
    scootergirl

(((dede))) You are so right about being able to heal when we can put some of the bitterness behind us.

Here's my contribution to the "good" stories.

In 1975 our house burned to the ground. We lost everything (eyegirl wasn't born yet.....so it was me (7 yrs old) my brother (3 yrs old) and our parents). There was kind brothers and sisters that donated clothing, food, money. I can esp. remember getting a home made cloth doll that I named Bethany, that became my best imaginary friend for a long time. I wish I had taken her when I left my parents house.

There was very kind sister in our cogregation, Nancy Olson. She was married but they were childless (they were an older couple). She had the qualities that would have made her a wonderful mother. I can remember when mom and I would fight, Nancy would go out of her way and put her arm around me and listen to me. She would let me cry, shout, talk....whatever. But she listened. She was always so gentle with me and she made me feel okay w/who I was. I miss her to this day. She was one of those women who really made a difference in my life.

• shamus
    shamus

I know that there were sincere people in the religion; they were the ones who I saw that became irregular and subsequently left.

I did nice things; to the one sister who always used her car in field service, and nobody would give her gas money, I filled her tank one day and nobody ever knew about it (I paid for it). It just wasn't right; my point being, that, yes, there are good people in the religion too. I was also the one who always left five bucks for every saturday or whatever we used her car.

What comes into play is motive. Some people do nice things without proper motive. They do it because the WTBTS tells them to. Others do it just out of they're hearts.

Yes, there were some very beautiful people in that religion. I would have to say one out of maybe fifty at best.

Personally, I cannot remember. Some people would say kind words to me; one kind older widowed sister gave me "Mountaineering, Freedom Of The Hills" book, because she knew that I loved mountains, wilderness and climbing. It was her late husbands who was not a dub...

I knew of one group of older sisters who worked tirelessly with one sister who had terminal cancer. It was sad, because the elders paid little or no attention. They were there when she passed away. Nobody took note except for me.

I guess I'm trying to say, yes, some did extremely nice things even for me, although I probably have forgotten about it or whatever. "Pagan" people in this "world" do the same things for me, but more frequently, as I do in return. Nowadays I do not keep track.

• mouthy
    mouthy

Great responses!!!! Lyingeyes I would drop a line to "D" he sound like a really great person.... Even if he doesnt reply -He might think of Jesus ministry & the ONE that came back to thank him.....>Jesus!!! It sounded to me like "D" was very UNjudgment!!! something Most witness lose when they are Judging! & KNOWING who will be resurrected & who wont!!!!

• franklin J
    franklin J

yes, I do remember much good . Amongst themselves only. As long as you were in good standing and were accepted in the congregation; you were looked after and tended to..."taking care of the flock".

Most religions take care of their own. Jehovahs Witnesses have a "pack mentality" ; if you are a member of the pack ; you belong.

If you are not a member of the "pack"; they do not acknowledge you.

We are all of the latter category.

• shamus
    shamus

Well said Franklin! Very well said.

It was a cold place. A boring place, really. There was nothing to do after meetings because everyone was working and "pioneering", or living in they're parents basement, playing hockey all the time with "the boys", LOL!

Oooh, we were bad. We went out to clubs and got absolutley hammered toward the end of my tenure. I still have dub friends who are in, and they're wives and them "slip up" whenever I am there, LOL!

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

I remember the elder who stayed with my mom while I was having my burst appendix removed. They were both there at the hospital for most of the night. Both he and his wife are very sweet people.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit