This Generation/ 1975

by TxNVSue2023 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TxNVSue2023
    TxNVSue2023

I was born in 1977 & came in as a convert in 2003 --- so I have no idea what went on before my time.

However I have been familiar with the scriptures of "nobody knows the day or hour" & " it will come as a theif in the night" meaning that it was sure but unpredictable time. How could anyone belive that anyone else ( organization or not) put a date on it?

Also what was the significance of 1975 anyway? What were they saying it would bring?

The kids born in the 70s ( like me) are known as Generation X. We had our childhood in the 80s & teen years/young adulthood in 90s. We had an analog childhood but digital adulthood. The last generation without cell phones, internet or social media. I have always had the belief that the end would come during my Generation ( just my belief- not taught by GB).that those is the true meaning of this generation will not pass away before A.

So I'm 46 and if my lifespan is 80 years I'm guessing it will happen anytime between now and 34 years from now. My general prediction based on how fast the world is spinning toward the toilet. The internet and technology has sped things up and society has declined rapidly since 1975.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

1975 was supposedly the end of 6000 years of mankind's existence. A seldom mentioned belief is that each creative day is 7000 years. Hence the 1000 year reign would be at the end of the 7th day of rest.

The gentile times ended in 1914 if you use select scriptures, gregoruan calendar mixed with bible calendar. That generation was supposed to see the end. Adults, then children old enough to reason, then anyone born 1914--chsnged as the people got older. Oct4/5 plays in as "Gods" year start date, 6pm somewhere

Confused yet?

Every one of us has hoped we would not get old and see a glorious kingdom. The troubles in the world are not now the worst ever seen. Think!, would you prefer to live in ww2, ww1, be a Armenian versus turk, black plague, gengus khan, shit happens

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Elsewhere I recounted the story of a girl I knew who was born in 1976. Her mother was constantly hounded by her JW sister who told her "That baby's never going to be born"; i.e. the mother would be killed in Armageddon, which was imminent. So the family joke came about how she was "the baby that would never be born".

1975 was very real to JWs at the time. And their literature had references to that date. The GB has since learnt to only imply dates and never to put a date in writing. 1914 itself has all but fallen by the wayside; they hardly reference it anymore.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

In 1968 the Watchtower proclaimed that if you were young,,,you would never grow old in this system of things,,,I dont have the exact quote.

They even said in that year something about the 90months left in this system,,,pin pointing to Oct 1975.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ TxNVSue2023 - Most of us here thought the same as you - that the "slave's" interpretation of Matthew 24 had a "greater fulfilment" for our time.

Regarding the great tribulation at Matthew 24:21, Jesus said "....no, nor will occur again".

How can something which Jesus said would never be repeated, possibly have a greater fulfillment?

Which part of "never" is too difficult for the G.B. to understand?

Jesus also said, "Truly I say to you that this (not "that") generation will by no means pass away until all these things happen. (Matthew 24:34)

The generation he was speaking of did see all these things occur, and then the "end" did come in - 70 C.E.

• Ron.W.
    Ron.W.
    1975 was very real to JWs at the time. And their literature had references to that date. The GB has since learnt to only imply dates and never to put a date in writing. 1914 itself has all but fallen by the wayside; they hardly reference it anymore.

I was surprised to see this today about 1914 on their website - still it did provide detailed scriptural proof for their 1914 belief...(one scripture)
    🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It was very evident that around the late 1960's the Borg was pinpointing to 1975 as the "end''.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

This was not just in their literature, either.

Other, more subtle means were also used to promote the idea. One example of this was the signage on the stage at District Conventions. Today, this would be quite forgotten, where it not for photographs and movie films taken by members of the audience. (One such example was recently posted on this discussion board).

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

It was proclaimed quite boldly that 1975,,,,would be the ""end"".

The generation(people) who were around back then just dismiss it as """people were putting too much stock in things"". And try to gloss over the issue.

No No. No,,,oh No.

It was very evident,,,,talks at a$$emblies by circuit overseers,,,publications,,,,boldly pinpointed to ,,,,1975

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Take a look at the quotes here showing what they said about 1975. Nb I lived through it and I know how psyched up we all were to “ keep alive till 75”….

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/1975.php

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit