Can anyone name a single incident when bethel has fed the poor ever ?

by Chook 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Once in the Jersey City Assembly hall, I was short of a spoon for my lunch.

There was a Small Kitchen with spoons and stuff and a JW was in charge of that, standing nearby. I humbly asked for a couple of plastic spoon which he refused to provide. So much of sympathy for their own, And why would they feed the poor ?

• Tahoe
    Tahoe

Years ago, brothers and sisters in an adjoining Country were hit by a massive hurricane. Some even losing their homes.

JWs from all over the US donated dry goods and clothing. The eighteen-wheeler carrying it all, backed up to our Kingdom Hall and the brothers unloaded the goods inside. They then called members with large families etc. to come and take what they wanted.
    I was 9 years old at the time, and was amazed at all of the items and clothing stacked nearly to the ceiling! One of the elders was near by and feeling a little confused as the storm had passed over our city, I asked “What about the needy brothers and their children??” Clear as a bell, I can recall him answering “They will be okay. This is all extra.”

I did enjoy gathering a few things, guiltily wondering if this is how Christmas feels.

Reminiscing that experience as an adult, kind of makes me sick at my stomach. :/

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

I worked and lived in Bethel for 5 years.

One job I was part of was the sorting out of all donated clothing. Many brothers and sisters in the congregations, out of the goodness of their hearts, would donate clothing (mostly used , some new) to Bethel.

I'm sure these ones thought they were doing a fine charitable thing by donating to those with less.

Let me tell you: MOST STUFF GOT THROWN in the bin! (some because it was unusable, but mostly because it was "out of fashion")

I objected once and said that we should contact a charity organization and let them have it all! I was told conclusively they we "DO NOT give to worldly organizations!"

So instead of helping the underprivileged, we filled huge bins with perfectly usable clothing each week...

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Can anyone name a single incident when bethel has fed the poor ever ?

To me, the biggest turnoff of that organization is their cocky attitude about getting involved with anything in their local communities, claiming that they are not part of the world. Very self-centered and selfish. They don't care about the well being of their own people, leave alone the community in general.

• JaniceA
    JaniceA

I heard that on 9-11 they opened the doors and handed out cookies or sandwiches as people fled Manhattan over the bridge.

• Chook
    Chook

Cookies and sandwiches wrapped in a tract.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    I heard that on 9-11 they opened the doors and handed out cookies or sandwiches as people fled Manhattan over the bridge.

I heard they just handed out water for a while then went inside and locked their doors

• jdash
    jdash

The only example I know is that when there are earthquakes or natural disasters, they say the organization helps others also.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Every bethel meal ......

• Chook
    Chook

Snare & racket that’s so true

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit