Did you know you can be df for

by mouthy 31 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

thanks loveis,

I've noted that. "Apostacy" is the worst word in WT lingo.

Now, has ANYONE actually SEEN a dub get disfellowshiped for going to the YMCA/YWCA? I would be most interested in stories where that happened.

Farkel

• minimus
    minimus

When the QFR came out, there was a Bible student that wanted to get baptized and he was told that if he did not resign from the Y, he would not be allowed to get baptized since being a member of the Y was a disfellowshipping offense.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

Did you know you can be df for: Just about anything the "ruling class" wants to make an issue of. JWs mainly just push you away by elevating their nose a little higher in the air and by the subtle whispers and spy Vs spy games. It is truly fascinating psychology!

What Jehovah?s Witness can be trusted when everyone is encouraged to spy on one another and invade the privacy of the individual brother or sister

?

Games and other bull hockey gets old after thirty years!

• asleif_dufansdottir
    asleif_dufansdottir

Farkel~

There's a good reason that you never (at least in your and my case) have heard of anyone being df'd for joining the YMCA. And I think it's for the same reason that you almost never hear of anyone being df'd for celebrating birthdays, Christmas or whatever other dingbat rule the WT comes up with...

...if you do it, and you're unrepentant, chances are almost 100% that you're on your way out of the WT anyway.

No baptised JW could possibly be ignorant of the fact that birthdays and Christmas are forbidden, or what would happen to them if they got caught celebrating. Therefore, no 'good' JW would do it.

How many "good" JWs would ever join the YMCA? If they did it would be through ignorance. And, once it was pointed out to them, what would be the reaction? "Oh, my goodness, brother! I had no idea! I'll quit right away!" Thus, for a 'good' JW who breaks the rule, no reason to be df'd (unless somebody was gunning for them).

You'd only be df'd if you joined and then refused to quit when you were counseled. And who would do that? Only those who were fed up anyway, or those who had left anyway and this was the excuse drummed up to df them.

What kind of stuff do people (real, active JWs, as opposed to those who walked away already anyway) get df'd for the most? Sex and smoking, if I recall correctly. Stuff that people often feel compelled to do even if they 'know' it's wrong.

• undercover
    undercover

I don't know anyone DF'd for joining the "Y", but a relative who was studying joined the "Y" and he was told he had to un-join before he could be considered for baptism.

My thoughts on the logic behind the "Y" issue:

I find it hypocritical that if I, as a baptized Witness, decide to join the YMCA, not for Christian fellowship, but to use the gym or pool, I am subject to disfellowshipping, but that the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society can associate itself with the Wild Beast of Revelation, not for supporting the work of the UN but just to use the library and suffer no consequences for this action.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

PRECISELY, undercover.

• mouthy
    mouthy

My neice & nephew were df for celebrsating & having a Christmas tree.about 1980

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

My son lifeguards at the local Y for his part time job. The Y here is considered to be a great place to work (although it would be wonderful if they paid a bit better). The YMCA here promotes "people getting along with each other".

I asked my son if religion is ever an issue at the Y. He says the corporate philosophy is a "be good to one another", as the Y here is very involved in social programs and helping children and the poor. So the only mention of anything to do with religion, and even that would be stretching it, would be to say they promote "The Golden Rule", which they do in a philosophical sense, not by anything to do with Christianity.

Of the 4 guards on duty last night, 2 were Jewish, one sort of Anglican, and one Catholic. They all worked well together and like each other.

I personally know of members and staff who are Moslem, Christian, Jewish, Buddist, athiest/agnostic, and many others who could care less about religion.

The Y welcomes Jehovah's Witnesses, just as they welcome anyone else. As a non-JW, I have to say, this WT policy is so wacky, like so many others. I do believe this policy is enforced here, from how my daughter's ex-bf wiggled and squirmed to make sure he never had to set foot in the Y.

On a thread about this same topic a while ago, a poster from the Southern US (I think) mentioned that they Ys there are more "Christian", but here, they definately, deliberately downplay religion in order to make everyone feel comfortable and welcome.

• Xena
    Xena

Here is the post where roybatty states he was d/fed for joining the Y

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/11116/136315/post.ashx#136315

perhaps you can contact him if you need more information regarding this Farkel.

• roybatty
    roybatty
    Now, has ANYONE actually SEEN a dub get disfellowshiped for going to the YMCA/YWCA? I would be most interested in stories where that happened.

Farkel

Sorry that I didn't see this thread earlier. Gosh, it was a few years ago....hmmm...almost four that I was df'd for joining the Y. Actually, my then wife turned me in. I had stepped down as an elder a year and a half earlier, hadn't been to a meeting in oh, almost eight months (can't remember exactly). The place where I worked at the time was a BIG supporter of the local Y and they were looking for volunteers to help coach and just talk to some of the kids. I joined the Y, signed up to coach and had LOVED it ever since. I didn't hide the fact that I joined and found it "funny" that my JW brother and brother in law use to go to the Y with other JWs and play basketball (they also had to pay a entrance fee) but I was df'd for joining.

Anyway, I was df'd at the first hearing (was a joke because I knew technically da'd myself) but the second commitee got it right. Anyway, I'm more then happy to answer any questions. Seems so long ago...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit