Please Say Something Nice to NIKITA!

by Funchback 34 Replies latest jw experiences

• Funchback
    Funchback

Hi, all!

I received this e-mail from my sister (known here as 'Nikita') on February 12th:

Hi guys, just to fyi we had a fire that started in our dryer on Tuesday night-fortunately, I was home (with Ann's baby) and caught it at the early stages and was able to call the fire dept (another fortunate thing was our firemen just happened to be having a meeting and responded before the whistle sounded from the 911 center.) But, even so, by the time they got here it was only minutes away from blowing as at the top of our basement stairs the temp. registered 800 degrees! There is tremendous smoke damage throughout the whole house. Alex and I were fine-no major side effects from the smoke inhalation. I received some really bad bruises and cuts on my legs as I had to walk to our back yard in 2 feet of ice (every time I took a step, my feet would break through the ice) to get the dogs from the back yard so that the firemen could do their job. The cats had to be given oxygen as they were the last ones out. Another fortunate thing is we were supposed to have a new sectional sofa delivered today. Now, we are displaced-living with my in-laws, the cats are racking up a boarding bill, the dogs are with us while we await the insurance adjuster to tour the home and tell us what they will do. I am hoping they will let us just take out the carpet as I am not sure if even if it were to be cleaned it would help much. Then, there are the mattresses, the dryer, the walls, etc...On top of all this I had a tooth extracted today-yeah!
  • Dansk
    Dansk

Hey Nikita,

You don't do things by half do you!

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. Goodness, that's one heck of a trying situation!

Here's to a wonderful silver lining.

Thinking of you

Love,

Ian

• Funchback
    Funchback

One response so far?

I know that Dansk isn't the only person on this Forum who cares about Nikita.

Even if you only send a virtual {{{{hug}}}}, it will mean a lot.

• SM62
    SM62

Nikita,

Sorry - only just saw this thread.

Hang in there girl - things can only get better!

Thinking of you and yours. xxx

Terri

• shamus
    shamus

Oh god yes! There are lots more who care about Nikita; the board is quiet during these hours is all; I'm sure this thread will be five pages long by the end of today! Don't worry...

Nikita, I am so sorry. Are your kitties ok now? Jeez, that sucks.

The insurance company will clean up your house; don't worry. You will probably be getting new carpets/underlay/lots of things new. They send in a crew to specially clean your home, every square inch of it, then they being remodelling. Smoke goes into walls, wood, and they will need to replace boards and apply special sealants to some. It sounds scary but they will get your home back in order, better than before.

I know that's little consolation right now, but what can you do.

Take care, and let us know how you're doing when you can get online.

Brian.

• talesin
    talesin

{{{{{Nikita}}}}}

How awful for you !! I'm happy your family is safe. Same for your kitties.

talesin

• Golf
    Golf

The good news is that everyone is safe and sound. I'm a news watcher and I daily see such tragedies on TV and they are horrible.

Did the fire start in the dryer or the air dryer vent hose, the plastic type? My wife told me that the heat from the dryer can cause fire to the plastic vent hose. I've since changed mine to a metal ventilation.

Don't worry you'll get more response's from the forum.

Guest 77

• shera
    shera

Glad everyone came out safe.

*****hugs*****

• Angharad
    Angharad

Glad you are all OK, hope you can get back into your home soon.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sometimes life throws a curveball.

(((Nikita)))
    (Where ya been, gal?)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit