Do discussion boards have any healing effect?

by gumby 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Trailblazer
    Trailblazer

Well, I don't know whether they help or not, but I sure hope so. I imagine any where you can give and recieve support is a good place to be as long as everyone responds in kindness and with minimal anger. I find anger makes healing more difficult. Recovery, I believe means able to cope with and lead a life without dwelling on.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Welcome Trailblazer

Hope to see more of you and yes indeed we will make you feel good about dealing with recovering for the JWs Organization. We have all gone through much and each of us are at different levels of healing. So friend enjoy yourself and again it is indeed a pleasure to make your aquaintance.

Orangefatcat.Orange Fat Cat 15 High Five

• patio34
    patio34

They help some people. I can say they were a BIG help to me in my exit.

Pat

• gumby
    gumby

I just want to give a great big thank you to all who responded. Your input tells a lot.

Thanks again.....

Gumby

• freedom96
    freedom96

I think this discussion board works great for people for all different needs.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

WITHOUT A DOUBT !!!!!!

When I first came on this board I wasn't really sure what I was going to do with my life. I was a nervous freakin' wreck. I thougth I had to know all the answers to life's questions , right then and there or I would be sinning, that I could be wrong about leaving JW.

I couldn't sleep without Armeggedon nightmares, and cried alot about losing my religion.

A wonderful lady on this forum ( Mrs. Joy2BFree ) , told me in chat one day,,,,,,,,,to take a year for myself, get to know myself . She told me that I had time to find out the things I was stressing over so much. But taking that year off from trying to figure out the Bible, was really what I needed. I needed a break after 35 yrs of thinking of doom and destruction. She gave me the best advice and I try to pass it along to other Newbies, as I was at one time.

You get so much wonderful advice here , although maybe not professional advice, but even better,,,,,,,,,you have real life examples, experiences of people who have been in the same place , same level of exodus as you.

And yes,,,,,,,,,, I think discussion boards like this are live savers , literally in many cases.

• Richie
    Richie

I find this discussion board very helpful, as you can relate to the people who have had a similar experience by having been a JW before. When you mention your experiences to a person who has never been a Witness, they will just not completely understand. It's that deeper bond and connection that we have because most of us come from the same background and that helps immensely, both psychologically and emotionally.

By the way, LyinEyes, I see that you are often posting during the very early hours in the morning. Do you ever sleep? LOL. I know your time in Louisiana is 1hour behind me - I am from the Montreal area in Canada. I like to get up very early in the morning as I work from home. Just wondering...

Richie :*)

• Golf
    Golf

Gumby, I really thought for a moment I wouldn't see the word 'bastard' on your thread, but, it managed to surface.

As to your question? Any type of encouragement has a healing effect. Like anything else, some need it more than others. There's nothing like making someone feel 10 feet tall. No matter how strong a person maybe physically, emotionally and spiritually, we all need a pat on the back. As I said, some more than others.

Guest 77

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

So True, Guest 77 ( BTW , like your new name, Golf ), everyone needs to be told that they have special qualities , that they are a good person. That is something we didn't get much as JW's because we were constantly, every single meeting,,,,,,,,,told exactly how much better we should be. They told us we always needed improvement, which lead many of us feeling like failures, and thus a life long struggle with our self esteem.

Places like this, makes us feel so much better about ourselves, as we make others feel better about themselves. Like Richie said, most of the time , people who were never JW's will never really understand ALL that we went thru, and still go thru, because of being a JW. Alot of great non witnesses , really try to understand, and that is great, but it is nothing like talking to other ex jw's.

Richie,,,,,,,, I am a vampire!!!!!!!!! LOL. When I was a witness I used to clean offices.....( I know shock huh,,,,,,,,lol , another JW cleaning lady) , so I got used to staying up late , because I did my offices after the meetings. Since then, I have never been able to get back to being early to bed person.

I am also helping a friend out at her bar, and it closes at 2am, so I am still up and at 'em at that time.

I should be dead to the world at 9 am, but for some reason I can't sleep. Waiting on phone call ( probably) from the school, someone stole just ONE,,,,,,,just one darn tennis shoe, and he wore shoes today that are agaisnt the uniform code. I am mad as heck,,,,,,,,,,those shoes were over a $100. Errrrr!!

• Richie
    Richie

Well LyinEyes, that explains it! Oh by the way, you never have to feel "bad" about having had to clean offices. Nobody should ever look down on you - I always appreciate any work that a person does and I will respect him/her in the same way! I hate it when people lift up their noses because they are a lawyer or some engineer and think they are superieur. I once overheard a person say that she doesn't like the singer Celine Dion for the simple reason that Celine does not have an education and she did not even finish high school. Can you imagine that? I told her the opposite: that I can't stand people who make those stupid statements. In front of God we are all the same and I believe wholeheartedly that we only live here temporarily anyways and we can't take anything with us. What is important is how we are on the inside and I love and befriend people because I can relate to them through their heart, not how many degrees one has. (Even if you're a VAMPIRE LOL)

So you are a night person - actually I am a little bit like that too. I stay up late but also get up early as I am working from my home doing network marketing. At least there is no traffic to fight in the morning! Sorry to hear that he (your son?) can't find one expensive shoe - well don't worry, he'll find it back - I guess there aren't that many one-legged people at school LOL.

Richie :*)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit