Do discussion boards have any healing effect?

by gumby 44 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Gumby is a sorry bastard for even asking this question.*LOL* Yes I think it helps and definitely provides solace and support for those that still have to deal w/crappy JW family members...I wouldn't be here if it weren't for that...So you know who to thank for me being here...*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Brummie
    Brummie

Both proffs and these boards can be good but not essential, the key to surviving is in the mind of the individual not on a keyboard. both proffesionals and boards can provide a good service but only the individual can make it work out for them.

Brummie

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Discussion boards have changed my life for the better. That's all I have to say. I'm much more together, and I've done so much self improvement, thanks to discussion boards. This one, and one other have played an incredible part in healing and improving myself.

• shamus
    shamus

SS,

My tomatoes are just, well, really really good, LOL!

• galaxy7
    galaxy7

I was really suprised to find that many people here had the same experiences I had

I always thought I was alone in this regard.

I find the anger I had growing up in the Org seems to be shared so maybe Im not crazy after all.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Yes. I definitely needed to see a therapist to help me sort things out. But the boards help because I feel like nobody can relate to my experiences with the Witnesses. Friends that don't have that experience can't understand why anyone would have gotten involved with this kind of cult, or else they try to convert me to their own churches. Friends/family still in the borg, I wouldn't dare confide in them.

And it's good to see that disfellowshipped people or others that Witnesses consider to be "apostates" who post on this board are actually reasonable, caring people.

The way to reach out for support and to give back support to others in need of it.

• JH
    JH

Discussion boards help people communicate and exchange information. Yes they do have a healing effect.

• HadEnuf
    HadEnuf

I LOVE this board. It may be going to far to say that it "saved my life"; but it most definately helped to make the transition from JW to X-JW.

Living in a small town without knowledge of any other DEFECTORS does not give one the chance to vent or have that association with others of like mind. Who knows...without the support and kindness of many on this board, I just might be locked up in the psychiatric ward of our local hospital!

So I do agree that THIS board in particular for me has had a healing effect. I also know this is true because I seem to come here a lot less than in the beginning when we began our great exodus from the JW's; so the board has served a purpose for me and I believe it will continue to do so in the future even though my time spent here is less than previously.

Cathy L.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that self-help groups DO help people. They offer

• shared experiences and feelings
    • validation
    • support
    • information
    • friendship
    • a feeling that we are not alone or crazy

But there is a down side to self-help groups. If highly dysfunctional people enter the group they tend to disrupt and often cause more pain to the members. They can be extremely unhealthy places to be.

On-line DBs are often like self-help groups. There are no professionals leading the group. People with a similar problem meet together on-line for the above reasons. There is no assessment for people entering the group. Extremely dysfunctional people can enter the group and create much havoc.

On-line DBs can be very healing but they can also be very disruptive.

support groups and DBs are NOT a substitute for therapy with a professional

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

This DB has helped me without a doubt.

It would have been a longer process of healing without it.

I would still be interested in exit counseling as Gary as discussed though.

So overall, yes, I think that they can be helpful if a DB is used within the bounds of what can be realisticly expected as helpful.

Take what can be gleaned from a loosely structured non-professional setting of people who have gone through similar experiences and move on from their in your life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit