Good article about the NWT

by starfish422 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

scholar.....wtf is "trans-lingual facility"?

• shamus
    shamus

Scholar, my ass.

• Richie
    Richie

Greek scholar and Bible translator Dr. William Barclay says:"The deliberate distortion of truth by this sect is seen in their New Testament translations. [John 1:1; Col. 1:15-17; Phil. 2:6]... It is abundantly clear that a sect which can translate the New Testament like this is intellectually dishonest."

Dr. Robert H. Countess, author of The Jehovah's Witnesses' New Testament and instructor in Greek concludes: "NWT is, in some ways, like milk, but milk with an admixture of arsenic. Milk by itself can be wholesome, but this kind of mixing could very well prove injurious to one's health." He further states: "In the opinion of this investigator the New World Translation of the Christian Greek Scriptures must be viewed as a radically biased piece of work. At some points it is actually dishonest. At others it is neither modern nor scholarly...From a purely literary standpoint NWT suffers from a woodenness of style that makes sustained reading of it a chore. This liability alone outweighs the sum of NWT's modest assets."

Author-apologist Robert M. Bowman, Jr. writes: "The whole work, but especially the New Testament portion...is carefully designed to import Witness beliefs into the text and screen out, as much as a seemingly literal translation can, the traditional Christian beliefs rejected by the Jehovah's Witnesses...The NWT is filled with faulty translations designed to make the Bible fit Jehovah's Witness doctrine.

...The case against the NWT must rest on the evidence from within the NWT itself; and this, as we have seen, is sufficient to warrant the conclusion that the NWT is an unreliable translation of the Bible."

Dr. Jack P. Lewis concludes: "This study is by no means a comprehensive review of all the merits or faults of the NWT. These examples are adequate, however, to show that it is unsuited for the use of people who want to know what the Bible really teaches."

Richie :*)

• Badger
    Badger

Scholar:

If I may be a trite and snippish:

You have no clue what you're talking about, aside from being a straight-up apologist on a board of apostates.

Badger

BA in History-Education

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

Guys, Puh-leeze. If you can't tell scholar's post is sarcastic you have another thing coming.

• shamus
    shamus

SC Guy,

What are you talking about?

This guy has been on the board for one hell of a lot longer than you. Try looking at his post history before making statements like that. His intentions are obvious.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho

Scholiar,

Indorsing non-scholar NWT.

• SC_Guy
    SC_Guy

Shamus, my bad. I don't have the time to read 200 of his posts though... sorry if you were offended. If he's such a zelot, why do you people give him the time of day anyhow? I've moderated many forums, and those type of people kind of like the attetion, just ignore him and he'll get bord and go away.

• drawcad_1
    drawcad_1

scholar get bored, scholar go away. Now that would be a great thing. From now on I will not respond to what ever his name was.

• bebu
    bebu

SC guy... I know scholar's been around and making ridiculous arguments for a long time. Maybe my comment helped throw you; you didn't know... His post reminded me of "Know_You"... such amazingly outlandish statenebts that "certainly" it must be satire! How could it be anything but, especially for a guy who claims to be a scholar????

Scholar,

"Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur".*

bebu

*("Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin.")

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit