It may not be a scandal but it's certainly Scandalous, alternative service

by shotgun 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• shotgun
    shotgun

In 1998 the WT addressed concerns where many felt like they served prison time needlessly due to refusal of alternative civilian service which upto 1996 had been considered the same as military service.

*** w98 8/15 p. 17 Strengthening Our Confidence in God’s Righteousness *** Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly

6 In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit. For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of civilian service. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously perform such without overstepping his Christian neutrality regarding the present system of things.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? ----What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience, they proved worthy of Jehovah’s friendship.

In 1996 the WT released this new understanding of alternative service which they now classify as a conscience matter. Until this time it had been a clear cut rule that to accept alternative service was showing disloyalty to God and just as bad as doing military service.

*** w96 5/1 pp. 19-20 Paying Back Caesar’s Things to Caesar ***

Civilian Service

16 However, there are lands where the State, while not allowing exemption for ministers of religion, nevertheless acknowledges that some individuals may object to military service. Many of these lands make provision for such conscientious individuals not to be forced into military service. In some places a required civilian service, such as useful work in the community, is regarded as nonmilitary national service. Could a dedicated Christian undertake such service? Here again, a dedicated, baptized Christian would have to make his own decision on the basis of his Bible-trained conscience.

17 It seems that compulsory service was practiced in Bible times. ------. The New Testament, too, cites examples of corvée in Judea, showing how widespread it was. In accordance with this custom, the soldiers pressed Simon of Cyrene into carrying Jesus’ cross [torture stake] (Matthew 5:41; 27:32; Mark 15:21; Luke 23:26).”

18 ---Where such civilian service is for the good of the community and is not connected with false religion or is not in some other way objectionable to the consciences of Jehovah’s Witnesses, they have often complied. (1 Peter 2:13-15) This has usually resulted in an excellent witness and has sometimes silenced those who falsely accuse the Witnesses of being antigovernment.—Compare Matthew 10:18.

19 What, though, if the State requires a Christian for a period of time to perform civilian service that is a part of national service under a civilian administration? Here again, Christians must make their own decision based on an informed conscience. “We shall all stand before the judgment seat of God.” (Romans 14:10) Christians faced with a requirement of Caesar should prayerfully study the matter and meditate on it. It may also be wise to talk the matter over with mature Christians in the congregation. After this a personal decision must be made.Proverbs 2:1-5; Philippians 4:5.

20 ----Would performing it prevent or unreasonably limit them from fulfilling their Christian responsibilities? (Matthew 24:14; Hebrews 10:24, 25) On the other hand, would they be able to continue to make spiritual progress, perhaps even sharing in the full-time ministry while performing the required service?Hebrews 6:11, 12.

21 What if the Christian’s honest answers to such questions lead him to conclude that the national civilian service is a “good work” that he can perform in obedience to the authorities? That is his decision before Jehovah. Appointed elders and others should fully respect the conscience of the brother and continue to regard him as a Christian in good standing.

Who declared that alternative service was wrong, was it clearly stated before 1996 that it was a conscience matter or rather that it was a violation of christian standards.

*** w86 9/1 p. 20 Christian Neutrals in a Bloodstained World *** 16 --- Whether the issue was shedding blood, noncombatant military work, alternative service, or saluting an image such as a national flag, faithful Christians took the position that there was no middle ground. In some cases they were executed because of this stand.Matthew 24:9; Revelation 2:10.

*** yb82 pp. 226-227 Italy ***

From 1978 to 1980 there have been, on an average, 500 young brothers a year in prison on account of the neutrality issue. It is calculated that up to the present, several thousand Witnesses have kept a clear conscience before Jehovah God in this respect. ---

*** g74 12/8 pp. 23-24 The Netherlands Frees Imprisoned Witnesses ***

Authorities Begin to Listen

On March 26, 1971, three representatives of Jehovah’s witnesses met with a forum representing the ministries of Defense and Justice. The discussion lasted two and a half hours.

One of the first points of discussion presented by the forum was this: “That you wish no part in performing military service is clear and needs no further explanation. But what really is your objection to civil, alternative service?”

The Witnesses explained that it is not that they are opposed to civil service as such, but, rather, it is a matter of strict neutrality. Therefore, any work that is merely a substitute for military service would be unacceptable to Jehovah’s witnesses.

Other questions narrowed the issue down still further. “When a person objects to military service,” the government’s agents declared, “he passes from military jurisdiction on to civil jurisdiction and from that moment has nothing at all to do with the military. Why, then, is the accepting of such civil service still so objectionable?”

Willingly accepting such work is objectionable to the Christian because of what God’s law says about the matter: “You were bought with a price; stop becoming slaves of men.” (1 Cor. 7:23) Civilian servitude as a substitute for military service would be just as objectionable to the Christian. In effect, he would thereby become a part of the world instead of keeping separate as Jesus commanded.—John 15:19; 17:14-16.

*** w88 2/1 p. 19 Will You Be a Witness for the True God? ***

16 A study entitled “More About Justifying Violence” said: “Jehovah’s Witnesses have consistently maintained their stand of nonviolent ‘Christian neutrality’ . . . Their continuing stand against national service of any form, military or civilian, and their refusal to honor symbols of national identity have resulted in periods of prosecution, imprisonment, and mob action in many countries

*** w51 2/1 p. 77 Pacifism and Conscientious Objection—Is There a Difference? ***

13 Because they are wholly dedicated to God by their vows to him through Christ, Jehovah’s witnesses are according to God’s Word no part of this world which is governed by the political systems. For this important Bible reason they tell officials of the government that they conscientiously object to serving in any military establishment or any civilian arrangement that substitutes for military service.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup

How do these people - day in and day out - read this stuff and keep it all straight?! I'm cross-eyed just from reading this.....!

So - what is the latest "new light" on this.....!?

growedup

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

no wonder i was a confused JW. seems to be a lot of double think going on in this one...or it could be since i stopped going to meetings this past year i have lost the "holy spirit" so i can no longer comprehend these "deeper things" as clearly as I once did. the point that i get out of this is that they don't want JWs spending any time doing anything (including charity or good works) that takes away from their service to God (AKA working for the Org).

• laurelin
    laurelin

Something struck me reading this:

What on earth do the people in government who had to sit and listen through two and a half hours think now?

They surely must be as mystified as to why the lines keep getting re-drawn as I am.

Laurelin

• shotgun
    shotgun

The point is the WT condemned tens of thousands of JW men to years of prison time. Many countries offered alternative civilian service for those who objected to mandatory military service. It wasn't until 1996 that the WT changed their stand on this issue and allowed alternative service to be a individual conscience matter.

Before 1996 this was considered the same as military service and in direct conflict with the bible and Gods laws. In the 1996 WT article they even use references from the bible to show alternative service was even practised by first century christians and therefore should be deemed acceptable to us individually as well.

It would be a hard pill to swallow if you had served 2 to 10 years in prison only later to be told it was really a conscience matter all along. Then you are also reminded that it's Jehovahs fault so blame him if you feel petty or rejoice in doing his will which at that time was for you to do prison time.

• cyber-sista
    cyber-sista

wait! I have had some "new light" since my last post.

the old light is that is wrong to perform alternative service. the new light is that it is OK.

But wait! it is only OK if it doesn't interfere with meeting attendance and field service (so in otherwords you can only do it if you are not a very active JW (AKA weak in your faith).

Would performing it prevent or unreasonably limit them from fulfilling their Christian responsibilities? (Matthew 24:14; Hebrews 10:24, 25) On the other hand, would they be able to continue to make spiritual progress, perhaps even sharing in the full-time ministry while performing the required service??Hebrews 6:11, 12.

Instead of apologizing (have you ever seen them apologize?) to all who have suffered under this "old light" the whole thing is swept up in some cleverly crafted wording. Looks like lawyers are writing the WT literature nowadays.

But wait! I am still confused...

• shotgun
    shotgun

cyber-sista I think your spot on now and not nearly as confused as the GB.

They actually never needed to apolagize, didn't you notice in the 98 WT they say it was not their fault, it was Jehovah's.

*** w98 8/15 p. 17 Strengthening Our Confidence in God’s Righteousness *** Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly

6 In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences?

• heathen
    heathen

excellent article . It had me thinking that they only changed the wording in the WT publication to avoid harasment and accusations of sedition by local governments but I'm willing to bet the almighty elders handbook all says the same thing about neutrality and only serving for the interests of the kingdom and not being part of the world yada yada . I only wish I knew for sure on that . I'm no mind reader here but after seeing the attempts of the org. to avoid the obvious conclusions by stating it's a conscience matter on several issues only leads me to believe that it's a legal matter and not a conscience matter .

• undercover
    undercover
    *** w98 8/15 p. 17 Strengthening Our Confidence in God?s Righteousness *** Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly
    6 In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit.
    7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovah?s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences?

They have the audacity to tell you that you're blaming God for questioning any inconvenience you suffered for following the WTS' direction? The f***king a$$holes! This shit really pisses me off. Goddamn them all to hell.

• imallgrowedup
    imallgrowedup
    Then you are also reminded that it's Jehovahs fault so blame him if you feel petty or rejoice in doing his will which at that time was for you to do prison time.

This seems to put it all in a nutshell!

Shotgun - I could have sworn there was something in the original post about dubs who were imprisioned being glad for being given the opportunity to show the netruality of God's loving organization by going to prison for not going into the military. Was that another thread I saw that in? It just seems to me that if I saw it here, that is just icing on the cake!

growedup

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit