It may not be a scandal but it's certainly Scandalous, alternative service

by shotgun 17 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• shotgun
    shotgun

Here it is imallgrowedup, paragrah 7 from the 98 WT in it's entirety.

7 Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty. (Compare Job 27:5.) What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience, they proved worthy of Jehovah’s friendship. Certainly, it is wise to avoid a course that would disturb one’s conscience or that would likely cause others to be stumbled. We can think in this regard of the example that the apostle Paul set.—1 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 10:31-33.

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

What? The WTB&TS in bed with the beast and worldly governments? Should we hold the WTB&TS responsible for those that have suffered by following their mandates and advice? I THINK SO!

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

That very article in the 98 WT was one of the things that got me thinking. I wondered how alternative service could be wrong one day and the next day, by the stroke of a pen, it could be permitted.

• Soledad
    Soledad
    Re: It may not be a scandal but it's certainly Scandalous, alternative service

oh contraire!! I think it is major scandalous!!

just think. how tragic. people being sentenced to prison. prisons arent so great you know. I could only imagine what they could have gone through, sharing cells with criminals. it's really tragic.

• freeman
    freeman

It?s more then just scandalous, it?s downright treacherous! Not only did thousands of young men serve prison sentences needlessly, but also upon their release they carried with them the stigma of being a convicted felon. Think about it.

Just about every job application asks if you had ever been convicted of a felony, and if you answered yes, you could be pretty sure you weren?t getting the job. The gift that keeps on giving, Watchtower style.

F*&KING Watchtower!

Freeman

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I can't say how mad this makes me any better than how JT, a superberb poster here, has put it in his profile:

Then They dropped the "Alternative Service" rule-- WHICH USED TO STATE that you could not take any substitute job in place of going to the army, if so you would be DFed)

(I had a very good friend an older Elder when I was in New York who went to Prison for 3yrs instead of working at the hospital due to that rule.

He has had some problems since being in prison.

Now I have NEVER ASKED HIM AND I NEVER WILL but from everyone I know who should be in the know

Tells me that this bro was raped repeatedly while he was in prison as a 19 yrs old kid and I will never ask him directly about it.

I stated that to say this: When they changed the alternative service rule he called me up and he broke down and cried The Society has tried to present this as "their CONSCIENCES WERE JUST VERY STRICT IS WHY THEY WENT TO PRISON" WHILE THE FACT OF THE MATTER IS that IS A LIE As he put it.

during the Vietnam War all the young bro were getting draft letters Him and his mama went to the elders to get advice and they shared with him the Current position in the wt---- where basically it stated if you are Loyal you will not take the alternative job--GO TO JAIL OR BE DFED---POINT BLANK--

So as he put it ---IT was not a conscience matter ---he thought he was being loyal to god

To this very day he has slowed down and step aside as an elder He still wants to hold on to WT world, but he is a crushed man

If there is a loving god, the WTS will pay for crap like this

Hope JT and his lady are doing well

• outnfree
    outnfree
    I could only imagine what they could have gone through, sharing cells

They went through plenty of crap such as that referred to in JT's quoted post above. There was (is still?) a poster here who went to jail for "neutrality" and who suffered greatly as a young man and who posted sometimes about it. Wish I could remember what "handle" he was using then....

Thanks for bringing our attention to this, shotgun. There was an article that appeared sometime early in 2001 that also mentioned how going to prison rather than perform military or alternative service was something the young brothers wanted to do because of their consciences. Perhaps the WT thinks if they repeat this lie often enough it will come true?

out

• shotgun
    shotgun

You would think old fuzzy nuts Rutherford would have rejoiced about his prison time instead of condemning the Judge and everyone involved with the case. He brought the issue up every chance he got.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit