What must we do to be saved?

by Dawn 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Dawn
    Dawn

JW's love this topic and have a long list of "do's & don'ts" that need to be completed in order to be saved. As you all know - it is a "works based" belief - if you do enough you might make it.

I have struggled with that concept since I was little, wondering how in the world we could ever do enough to be considered worthy. And if we could - then why did we need Jesus' ransom anyways? Not to mention those scriptures that talk about life as a "free gift" - it's not free...I'm working m @ss off for it!! It was this one topic alone that finally made me give up trying to be a witness.

The past 3 weeks our pastor has been giving a 3 part series/sermon on this exact topic - and I learned something I never knew before.

Reading through the new testament you will find that there are TWO types of things you can receive from God (1) gift=life, and (2) rewards. Whenever the scripture talks about life it refers to it as a free gift, a gift of faith, something given to the believer when they accept Jesus as their savior. It is clear that this "gift" can not be earned.

So what about all those scriptures that talk about loosing our rewards, gaining rewards, etc? Jesus talked about storing up treasures in heaven - these are the "rewards". What you get above and beyond your "free gift" of life.

Eternal Life is given to you when you accept Jesus as your savior - and you can't loose that gift. But you can earn above and beyond this gift by your "works" - doing good in essence.

I'm very interested in this as it explains a lot of the confusion I had as a JW. I plan to re-read the new testament and make a chart of each scripture that mentions a reward vs. gift to test and see if this is true.

Interested in your thoughts.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

Dawn,

I like to suggest to JW's who have asked "where are we to go" to just read Galations, especially from the old LIving Bible. Read it like a novel and see what the point really is.

And yes, JW's do struggle with all the scriptures that are highlighted to them about works. Because their organization demands works out of them.

Joy

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

http://www.geocities.com/osarsif/ransom.htm.This article is very interesting and answers your question.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

Saved from what?

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    JW's love this topic and have a long list of "do's & don'ts" that need to be completed in order to be saved. As you all know - it is a "works based" belief - if you do enough you might make it.

I have struggled with that concept since I was little, wondering how in the world we could ever do enough to be considered worthy. And if we could - then why did we need Jesus' ransom anyways? Not to mention those scriptures that talk about life as a "free gift" - it's not free...I'm working m @ss off for it!! It was this one topic alone that finally made me give up trying to be a witness.

The past 3 weeks our pastor has been giving a 3 part series/sermon on this exact topic - and I learned something I never knew before.

Reading through the new testament you will find that there are TWO types of things you can receive from God (1) gift=life, and (2) rewards. Whenever the scripture talks about life it refers to it as a free gift, a gift of faith, something given to the believer when they accept Jesus as their savior. It is clear that this "gift" can not be earned.

So what about all those scriptures that talk about loosing our rewards, gaining rewards, etc? Jesus talked about storing up treasures in heaven - these are the "rewards". What you get above and beyond your "free gift" of life.

Eternal Life is given to you when you accept Jesus as your savior - and you can't loose that gift. But you can earn above and beyond this gift by your "works" - doing good in essence.

I'm very interested in this as it explains a lot of the confusion I had as a JW. I plan to re-read the new testament and make a chart of each scripture that mentions a reward vs. gift to test and see if this is true.

Interested in your thoughts.

Interesting thread and I too am interested in seeing others comments. But this basically sums up my beliefs as a Christian. I believe once you accept Christ into your heart and accept him as your Savior, that you're saved. Saved from what? NOT being in heaven with God in a blessing-filled life. You can do nothing to lose that. It is a gift, not something earned. Yes, a person can abuse that gift, by having the 'I can do whatever I want' attitude. But I also believe that you continue "earning" treasures, jewels in your "crown" if I may, after you become a Christian. You may have salvation, but the treasures you gain in heaven may be more or less depending on what you've accomplished on earth or depending on your heart condition while accomplishing it. Which poses to me an additional question: if you don't live a good life on earth, what could you be missing? (Would you regret it?) Or if you do live a good life on earth, what could you be gaining? (Is there anything to lose?) Just a few thoughts, Andi

• mouthy
    mouthy

All you have to be saved IMHO is to invite the LORD into your life to be YOUR LORD & Saviour. Tell him you recognise your a sinner. & ask him to come into your heart .. To Lead, Direct, & Guide your . NO WORKS!!! Only to Love God & your neighbour as yourself. Then when you have done that write the date down- You have been "born again" ( running to miss the stones )

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

Apparently to be saved in 'Nam on a patrol boat, you make sure you're near John Kerry.

• City Fan
    City Fan
    I believe once you accept Christ into your heart and accept him as your Savior, that you're saved.

Does that mean Taoists, Buddhists and Hindus are screwed??

• Richie
    Richie

Dawn,

Thank you for your interesting thread. I too became a believer in that I have accepted Christ as my Lord and Savior. The interesting thing is that I now do understand the bible. When you're saved (by accepting Jesus as your Lord), you will experience the Holy Spirit who is living inside of you and he will guide and direct you in your "new" life. You're driven to pursue a more wholesome way of life and your whole outlook will be changed for the better. One important thing to remember is: do NOT read the NWT translation as it is full of alterations and changes from the original translations. I prefer the NIV bible, although the new King James I like too. It doesn't matter which bible you read, except don't read the NWT, as it only confuses you.

Otherwise, thanks so much for the explanation in your thread, as that makes all the sense in the world.

Richie :*)

• heathen
    heathen

I agree that selling magazines is not the essence of salvation . I think it's more about having a personal relationship with God . Jesus did say you must worship in spirit and truth so another important thing is the truth because the spirit bears witness to truth . The apostles and jesus all warned about many appearing on the scene claiming they were doing the lords work but would be nothing more than evil slaves after personal interests . There is alot in the bible about truth and lies . If anyone declares anything as good news that is different than what the apostles wrote about they are considered the accursed and are pending judgement from God by being eternally damned . Just the way I see it here . IMHO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit