What must we do to be saved?

by Dawn 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

The "theory of rewards" was quite popular in the Evangelical churches I associated with right after I was disfellowshipped (almost 18 years ago now). I personally never bought into it, cause it sounded as a cheap and shallow way to harmonize (from Paul's perspective, cf. 1 Corinthians 3) a number of very different outlooks, betraying the originality and completeness of each one.

My take is that there are a number of "ways to salvation" in the N.T. And a corresponding number of "salvations". Let's take as one example the Sermon on the Mount. It doesn't imply "faith", "ransom sacrifice", "resurrection" and the like. A change of outlook, attitude, behavior, makes all the difference: stop judging, and you won't be judged. This was not meant to be a gem on the Pauline crown of "salvation/justification by faith alone". It is a quite different "Gospel" which stands on its own. And the same could be said of many others.

• Dawn
    Dawn
    It doesn't make sense that you only get the guidance when you don't need it.

Derek - I believe God will not send the holy spirit to guide a person unless asked to, for the simple reason that it is each person's own choice whether they WANT the holy spirit or not. He doesn't impose that on us - he lets us decide if that is what we want.

• Phantom Stranger
    Phantom Stranger

To: God

Re: Holy Spirit

Please keep the HS from me, as I will go to hell in my own way. Regards,

your creation who must be doing what he was born to do,

PS

• ese
    ese

i have not died ever and have walked this earth since its start - why would i want to be saved?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Acts 16:30-33 - it's as simple as that, from a Christian perspective.
    I guess that then proposes the next question: "What does the word "believe" mean, in this context?"

As Narkissos suggest, there's plenty of mileage in the "not judging" thing, too. This is found in words attributed to both Jesus and Paul.

Bradley:

Mental masturbation.

When did that ever bother you - w*nker!!!
    LOL

Phantom Stranger:
    Be careful what you ask for...

• City Fan
    City Fan

billygoat

I believe that at some point in your life, God will make himself known to you in some form. I believe the method he makes himself known to you may not necessarily be in the form of "Christ".

Thank you for those words. It's not happened yet but hopefully one day it will.

CF.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I get it now. To be saved, we simply declare ourselves saved. Once we do this, we will be given personal, undeniable but untestable proof that we are right, but by then we won't need it.

Mental masturbation indeed!

• Navigator
    Navigator

I agree with Faust and James Thomas. It is inconceivable that a God of Love would allow any of His/Her children to be lost. It is a Bad News/Good News situation. The bad news is that there will be a day of judgement. The good news is that the verdict is already in. ITS NOT GUILTY! A Course In Miracles states that "It is God's will that you be in heaven and nothing can keep you from it or it from you." Who is able to defeat the will of God?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit