Children to Study Atheism in UK

by Faraon 13 Replies latest social current

• Faraon
    Faraon

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/story/0,5500,1148669,00.html

Children to study atheism at school · National exam body plans new guidelines for RE lessons
    · Falling church numbers prompt radical syllabus reform Gaby Hinsliff, chief political correspondent
    Sunday February 15, 2004

• Simon
    Simon

hear hear ... about time too.

Why religion is allowed to peddle it's propaganda in schools is beyond me. The time spent on that could be much better spent on useful subjects like logic and reasoning.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Hmm, I didn't realize that Religion was taught in public school in the UK. Atheism should get it's fair shake as well...there are probably as many practicing atheists as practicing Christians in the UK.

As facitious as that might sound, I mean it...if they are teaching religion as a required course...atheism should get it's fair shot too.

Who did I suprise by saying that? Be honest.

• bisous
    bisous

well, this one didn't strike me one way or another, Yeru....I don't view you as a religious conservative....more like a conservative conservative!

Kind of like the mother of all Elephants

Winky 2

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

That's only because I'm rabid about certain issues...I'm actually pretty moderate...really.

I'm not as much of a hawk as some on this board would assume,

I don't believe that ALL abortion should be eliminated

I believe in social welfare (responsible social welfare)

and a slew of other issues...a Mother of all Elephants...that would be Limbaugh or Buchannan.

• bisous
    bisous

I meant within our JWD board....

but yer startin ta grow on me....even though I disagree with about 92% of your positions!

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

So what you're saying is that you're right about 8% of the time? Sorry, couldn't resist. And yes I agree, on this board I'm Rush Limbaugh, and Pat Buchannan all rolled into one. I think this board is a little on the liberal side...It's ok, keeps me sharp and makes me think...and laught too sometimes.

Completely off topic, Sopranos starts March 7th YEAH!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Yes, Yerusalem, I was a little surprised that you would give atheism a chance in schools. Just a little.

As for the March 7 opening of the Sopranos - it's like we've been crawling thru a desert and an oasis is in sight! The little snippets I've seen of the new season indicate that we're going to see a darker side of T this time. Things haven't gone so well for him lately in his home life, and I think that really bothers him - I think one of his motivations is to show that he isn't defined by his parents, especially not by his Mom.

I can't wait. Do you have friends over for a premiere party when the season opens?

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I'm too self centered to have the party...just me, my wife, and to my shame, my daughter (she's almost as big a fan as I and calls me "Mob-pa" instead of Dad because I remind her of Tony (I have an explosive temper...)

Sorry I hijacked your thread...back to our original programming.

Mandatory religious ed in school, not good.

• talesin
    talesin

If Philosophy were taught in the schools, it would take care of the religion thing - then kids could learn to reason on all sides of the question and make up their own minds.

Here's to separation of religion and education Up until the 80s, we still had Catholic and Protestant schools. We had the "lords prayer" every morning along with hymns, it was torturous to stand outside the classroom and then be ridiculed by the other kids for it. Funny, though, they still taught evolution as part of science. That's kind of confusing for children.

as for the Sopranos, I hear that the daughter is gonna have quite the storyline this year ... saw the actress who portrays her interviewed on TV a couple months ago. It'll be good. I'm jealous. I don't have cable, so have to wait till the end of the season and get my fix on DVD.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit