Gruesome details in last night's memorial talk

by purrpurr 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• purrpurr
    purrpurr

Last night's memorial talk in my cong went into graphic gruesome details about the torture of Jesus and how the stake killed people. I mean medical level graphic description! Step by step details of each injury and how It killed! It was toe curling!

I wondered how the kids and new ones in the audience were taking this? I found it quite disturbing, so I shudder to think what effect it had on the kids!?

• Giordano
    Giordano

This sounds like a major misstep if the WTBTS condoned this version of the memorial talk. If so........ it just dramatizes the pain and needless suffering of Jesus.....not that he was the only one as the Romans crucified thousands.

"6,000 including Spartacus were crucified along the 200-kilometer Appian Way from Rome to Capua."

If anything his torture and death minimized his importance.

Seems like a strange choice to memorialize.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

........and the asshole speaker didn't take notice that there were children present.

• Half banana
    Half banana

Religion feeds off "gruesome".

The more gore, the more heart wrenching; the higher the emotional level achieved and therefore the effect of being more aware 'spiritually'.

It's a con trick.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

An M.S. in a previous congregation gave a similar description with his Instruction Talk in the Ministry School about 15 years. It was downright stomach-churning!

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    I wondered how the kids and new ones in the audience were taking this? I found it quite disturbing, so I shudder to think what effect it had on the kids!?

The same way they do when they hear about fornication, bestiality, the destruction of the world as they know it, that they will be killed if they don't do something that they don't understand, and the graphic descriptions that they give like the one of a prostitute having sex with a dragon.

The WT doesn't give fuck about children. They can't care less.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

jehober likes gruesome? a good example is the old testament!

just saying!

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

That was not the outline I heard! In fact I never heard that version. B.s.hmmm

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yeah, I had a similar experience.

I remember studying The Greatest Man book years ago. We got to Christ's death. This was in Oct/Nov 1993 and I'd have been 14 years old. I can't remember if the gruesome detail was in the text or the study conductor went off on one.

The gruesome detail was explored and expounded in order to show just how much Jesus loved us. It was completely unnecessary - just to know Jesus sacrificed his life for others would've been enough.

I remember feeling slightly disturbed by it all and I was fourteen-and-a-half. There were younger kids of 6,7 and 8 in attendance too. I wonder how badly it affected young kids ...

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I experienced one of those sort of memorial talks at the Hall I attended. I have to admit it was intense. It was not child friendly. The speaker is inactive now, I guess it didn't have much of an impact on his faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit