Lurkers! Is the WTS a Tax Cheat and Deadbeat?

by metatron 36 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• metatron
  • amac
    amac

I'm not an apologist, but I agree with Undercover...

I don't know all the facts and don't have time to find them out besides what we discuss here, so I can't cast judgement either way. But from what I've read, it does seem that the JWs were singled out and treated unfairly by the government. They tell all the members to pay taxes, but if a brother was oddly singled out by the government to pay higher taxed than everyone else and he refused, I don't think his elders would DF him.

• johnny cip
    johnny cip

if i remember correctly the wt was one of 173 religions, or non profit org.s to be taxed in france, one reason is the fact that the wt would not tell the french gov't how they were spending the $$$$$$$$$$$$$ in charity work etc. just like the 7 jw's going to jail in 1918 the wt forgets to tell you about the 1000's of others put in prison between 1916-1918 for being against ww1 . the wt gives the idea that they were the only religous that hitler killed when in fact only like 200 jw's the nazi's killed. the wt never wants you to know that they were not the only ppl persecuted in human rights violations. john

• metatron
    metatron

So, if Caesar taxes you unfairly, you have the scriptural right to refuse to pay up?

"To whoever calls for the tax, the tax, to whoever calls for the tribute, the tribute.......

One rule for thee, but not for me

metatron

• amac
    amac

Good point, Metatron, not sure how the WT could argue such a straight forward scripture. Bible aside tho, I am against any religous intolerance or persecution and this whole thing just stinks a little too much like it.

• metatron
    metatron

I think I can see your point - I wish more governments would simply TAX ALL RELIGIOUS PROPERTY, period.

Maybe the French will get the ball rolling.

metatron

• undercover
    undercover

If the highest court in the land has spoken and decided against the WTS, then it is time for them to shut up and pay up. Once they have exhausted all legal means of overturning the decision, they have no choice but to follow the tax laws. I'd be curious to see how quick they pay up and if they continue to bitch and whine about it. If they do that while printing how we must pay taxes, then I agree, hypocrisy is rampant.

Personally I think the article is a smoke screen to show the world how the WTS is a law abiding group and how it's followers are urged to follow tax laws, then cry how they are mistreated when they try to do the "right" thing.

• happy man
    happy man

I dont now if this case in france are finished,i think we have take it to higer courts, at least it is what I heard here in sweden, perhaps some French can tell us how it is, if they have to pay the members have to do this i think.

I can also tell that in EU this disusition is upp that religion must pay tax, or at least show that they do charity, in my 50 years in JW we have never done any charity, if you not count preching as charity.

When the ekonomi is bad politiks are loking fore new money all over, and several religions are very rich, and I think JW are also.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

This is not religious persecution, it is a matter of improper and illegal operation under the cover of a charity. They simply were not properly registered for the work they were doing. They have been allowed latitude for years.

I noticed in the previos thread that the article claimed that donations from members was they only source of financial support. That of course is wrong. Donations are only one source, they have extensive investment interests in the corporate and real estate world. ( Not to mention the money they received from the UN as an NGO. wink wink) My guess is that if possible they will declare the French association of JWs bankrupt. It is my understanding (correct me if wrong) that most countries with printing facilities are legally isolated from the mother for just such a reason. They have already moved their operations out. It would be reletivly easy to continue as now with only change being all donations now sent out of country.

• happy man
    happy man

peace.

If it goes like you say, I think it is a major dissaster fore JW, we cannot be so carefull widh obeyd kings and ther laws, and suddenly go bankrupty to avoid taxes in france, if they do this it must be perfekt fore all as hates JW and Internet is a perfekt place to tell this if so.

I must follow this widh bigg intrest to see whats going to happend.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit