Do on-line dating services really work?

by logansrun 53 Replies latest social relationships

• Sassy
    Sassy

to be honest, I don't see why everyone thinks they are so bad. I've met some awesome guys online..

• tink
    tink

alright, here's my problem with it: it seems like more and more, people are completely tied down by technology. and it seems like the more they are tied to technology, the less the actually *connect* with one another. and this disconnectedness is more and more pervasive, and it's keeping people from experiencing something essentially human and i can't stand it. i guess it's sort of difficult for me to articulate....i don't know if that makes sense to anyone else or not.

• Sassy
    Sassy

I do understand that Tink.. and I wasn't asking only because of your comment..

I guess from my end I was so tired in the WTS about negatism about the internet.. I was dating this 'brother' from TX for example and everyone was like, oh how nice, happy for me.. and then when they found out I met him on the internet, suddenly they didn't even have an interest in the conversation! He was the same guy whether I met him in person or online. It pissed me off that they discounted him because of how we met.

To be honest, I agree, using ONLY the net, is not smart. I like to go out and get to know guys in person too.. but I have also used the net.

I have also gone to a club where I didn't have one guy to dance with all night. (OK so I was one of the only white women in the club and I guess most of them were either not into wht women OR afraid to let others know if they might be). But I can go on the net and tell in a personal I enjoy dating black men, Or go into an interracial romance chat room and I get so many pms that I could meet a TON of men.. and I have MET a number of men in person after starting out on the net. I don't just do the net thing and stop there.. that isn't real... Usually a week or two later a real in person date was set up...

The man I am in love with right now is from the opposite coast from me. If I had not been on the net, I would never have met him. He flew all the way to me to live with me. (Yes we dating in person before his move here).. I wouldn't change a thing or the opportunity to have had him in my life.

• Robdar
    Robdar
    don't do it. just get out there and meet some cool chicks.... it seems like more and more, people are completely tied down by technology. and it seems like the more they are tied to technology, the less the actually *connect* with one another. and this disconnectedness is more and more pervasive, and it's keeping people from experiencing something essentially human and i can't stand it

Some of us work alot (because we love our jobs). Then we are with our friends and family. We also dont want to go to bars. I meet lots of guys through work and groups that I belong to but most of them have girlfriends or wives. It gets old. At least with an on-line service, you can expect that most who have their profile listed are single and looking. It saves a lot of time.

I agree with Sassy, there are some cool people on line.

Robyn

• Tinkerbell4125
    Tinkerbell4125

Hey Logan.....a friend of mine *another ex-j.w.* met someone on line and they just got married! She's never been happier!!! So I think it can happen, just use caution.....but I'm sure you already knew that! Let us know what happens!

• tink
    tink

in no way am i insinuating that you can't meet cool people on line. ugh nevermind, i'm just having sort of an existential crisis or something, and i'm preoccupied with eradicating disconnection in my own life. bradley, i sent you a pm.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

i don't know if that makes sense to anyone else or not.

tink

Sorry tink, but I just didn't connect with that comment

FWIW, I had a buddy [who, by coincidence is named Buddy, but is no longer my buddy] who met his wife online.

• Sassy
    Sassy

We love you tink.. sure are glad we had the net to be able to meet you as our friend! We also get your point... You aren't off track either.. You have valid points..

note: I heard not long ago on a report that many professionals are using personals to meet people. they are just too busy to bother to go to the clubs often to meet someone.. Like Robdar said, the free time can be rare and used for quality time like family

• shotgun
    shotgun

I know several people who have found lasting love on line...and several who only go there for sex.

Paul...are you a redneck...do you have a brother named Darryl and another brother named Darryl.

FWIW, I had a buddy [who, by coincidence is named Buddy, but is no longer my buddy] who met his wife online.
    The last time I heard buddy used that many times was during a street fight.
  • Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Paul...are you a redneck...do you have a brother named Darryl and another brother named Darryl.

shitgun

Well spank my ass and call me Nancy. You done did peg me square on that there sentence boy

And tink, you know I'm just fooling wich'ya, right?

Guess I'm just feeling a bit frisky tonight.

Shotgun can attest to that, and it ain't pretty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit