Do on-line dating services really work?

by logansrun 53 Replies latest social relationships

• logansrun
    logansrun

I signed up for a "Yahoo Personals" account a million years ago and get updates like berserk which I never read. I never put my picture up and have never subscribed to their "expanded service" where you can actually contact the people that they match you up with. I just never have taken it very seriously.

Should I? Do these things really work? Has anyone actually ever dated someone they met on a service like this? Even more important, have you ever gotten laid because of it?

Slighly curious,

Turtleneck guy

• Xena
    Xena

Before I became involved with someone I tried online dating a bit. Amazing how many people lie about who they are....lol and then don't expect you to notice when you finally do meet them.

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002
    Amazing how many people lie about who they are....lol and then don't expect you to notice when you finally do meet them.

Amen and double amen! Ain't that the truth. I have a few good horror stories myself.

• Sassy
    Sassy
    Do these things really work?

Yeah.. they can work...

Has anyone actually ever dated someone they met on a service like this?

I have met some very interesting men through personals..

Even more important, have you ever gotten laid because of it?

Yes...

The bad thing with personals now a days is that everyone charges you something if you want to be the one to 'contact someone'.. and usually that burden ends up on the guy.. (not sure why)

I like romance chat rooms because you can talk to people in the room of interest and get to know them, add them on your buddy 'list' such as Yahoo.. or MSN.. and then chat with them and email from then on..

My bf and I met that way.. We lived two coasts apart when we first met.......

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Before I became involved with someone I tried online dating a bit. Amazing how many people lie about who they are....lol and then don't expect you to notice when you finally do meet them.

That is so true! Or men that don't respect the age range you specified...I had a 55 year old contact me! (Not that there's anything wrong with 55 year olds...but at 25, that's not who I'm looking for...) I could go on and on as well with psycho idiots I've met online.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

I tried it for a couple of months and met a few people. One psycho who kept calling persistently, one who totally misrepresented himself, several average guys, and one great man (whom I'm still seeing, by the way!!)

Worldlygirl

• onacruse
    onacruse

Hmmmmm...I've never been on an 'dating service' board, but JWD worked pretty good for me! LOL

not-onacruse-for-chicks, but it happened anyway.

((Hugs to my 2x4-wielding Kate))

• Sassy
    Sassy

There really isn't a ton of difference meeting someone here.. or in the personal internet sites. Any one of us could be someone we say they are not.. even here!

HOWEVER.. if you meet someone through a personal service, if you are smart, you take the time to get to know them before meeting in person.. AND you put up smarts when it comes to meeting them the first time. And yes, I have broken my rule and met guys fast.. although usually there was a bottle of whiskey handy and I wasn't being smart..

The nice thing about meeting someone in a place like here is IF you get a chance to meet at one of the gatherings, you see them in a more public way, see how they interact with other people, etc.. it helps to see also how they react to issues on the board. Do they have a quick temper.. etc..

One thing about meeting through the personals and if people are for real.. this is where a web cam is nice. At least you know if you are talking to a male or female.. child or adult..

I've talked to a lot of people online and when you get good at it.. you can figure out who is for real and who isn't..

as for someone being married.. etc.. those are things that are harder to detect..

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've tried it a bit and I've noticed that women don't seem to understand what "A few extra pounds" means.

• joenobody
    joenobody

I would actually endorse them. I met my wife's sister through Lavalife. She introduced me to my wife when it appeared she was inch taller than I. I married the younger sister last year. both of us did alot of dating off of their (but it can be a lot of work!). I would recommend to guys to buy credits (they are dirt cheap) and to post a picture. Girls hate the cheap guys who can't initiate conversation because they post in their ad "no credits - please message me". It screams deadbeat cheapskate...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit