JESUS GOT OFF LIGHT!!!!!!

by avishai 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Ash,

You're looking at the situation incorrectly. Perhaps it's something that can only be accepted on faith. Faulty human logic doesn't work real well. It's not about going to jail/hell, it's about being predisposed towards committing sin, just as the family of an alkie is predisposed to becoming alkies themselves...and all the social and mental problems they have even if they don't become alkies. We, as part of the human race that fell, are predisposed towards sin, and we're quirky.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    Perhaps it's something that can only be accepted on faith.

Ah, the invisible forcefield of faith. It doesn't make sense when you use "faulty human logic" but it's all perfectly clear to those who have "faith".

In real terms, what this means is that when a particular belief is shown to be illogical and/or unproven, those who wish to believe can still do so by applying faith. It negates all arguments, all discussions, all reason.

• talesin
    talesin

synonyms BELIEF, FAITH, CREDENCE, CREDIT mean assent to the truth of something offered for acceptance. BELIEF may or may not imply certitude in the believer belief that I had caught all the errors>. FAITH almost always implies certitude even where there is no evidence or proof faith in God> **

'christian reasoning' - now there's an oxymoron, shamus

folks, you can't argue with 'faith' (see above) cause it's not about logic, it's about trust without proof, so reasoning and logic are not essential components

tal

** copied from Merriam-Webster online dictionary

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim
    folks, you can't argue with 'faith' (see above) cause it's not about logic, it's about trust without proof, so reasoning and logic are not essential components

Tale, I almost completely agree with that statement. There are logical conclusions essential in faith...posed this way...If God______ then God must_____.

Logic isn't all it's cracked up to be though.

I'd much rather live in a world with faith than without it. Without faith, the world is bleak...hopeless, and quite meaningless.

However, more to the point of this conversation....if we discuss the issue of what Jesus did on the cross it MUST be discussed in the light of faith...without that essential element Jesus was just some other poor schlep swept up in international politics and killed on a Roman cross to gratify the Roman Procurator. If that's what you believe, the question posed in the post is pointless.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek
    I'd much rather live in a world with faith than without it. Without faith, the world is bleak...hopeless, and quite meaningless.

Obviously, for you, faith provides a cushion against the harsh realities of the real world. Personally, I think it's more productive to deal with the world as it actually is, rather than as we'd like it to be.

However, more to the point of this conversation....if we discuss the issue of what Jesus did on the cross it MUST be discussed in the light of faith...without that essential element Jesus was just some other poor schlep swept up in international politics and killed on a Roman cross to gratify the Roman Procurator.

Why? Do you need faith to discuss the importance of the American constitution or the rights and wrongs of the Vietnam conflict? Why should most belief be based on reason and evidence but some on faith?

If that's what you believe, the question posed in the post is pointless.

No, but if you have faith, the question is pointless. In fact, most questions are pointless when the answer is an article of faith. Does it make sense? No, but it doesn't have to because I have faith so logic - "faulty human logic" - doesn't apply.

• avishai
    avishai
    That's the short answer, however, since I believe man has been around a LONG time before Adam and Eve

Then your whole argument falls apart, as you obviously don't have "faith" that the bible is true. Also, If man has been around BEFORE Adam and Eve, why did'nt just their family inherit sin, What happened to all the other people? Your argument does'nt hold water.

You've just boggled my mind, dude.

• avishai
    avishai

Bttt for printhis0103

• lilybird
    lilybird

WE don't need faith in some higher power to make life meaningful. Everything we accomplish here on earth,,medical breakthroughs, space exploration, helping others in need .............is through the efforts of other humans who care to make the world a better place. That is nothing to do with God , sacrifices or faith. Just people wanting to make the world a better place for others and generations to come..... I know that JWs are always waiting for God to come and fix everything.. for the new system to come..... with their logic .... the world would stagnat forever.......

• avishai
    avishai

Bttt for jesusisgod

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit