Okay... How many of you ski or snowboard?

by shamus 31 Replies latest jw friends

• shamus
    shamus

Because I do.

I grew up on alpine ski's, took up snowboarding for a while, until it got incredibly boring, and now I've been into tele-skiing for about five years now. I just love it!

Before my accident, I could jump-telemark nearly any slope. Now, I find that I like at boards and deep powder to huck turns into. Also, I have a real bad taste of lift-serviced places, so we tend to ski up the mountain and ski down it, or take a helpicopter or cat up.

Any of you like to ski/board? I still like snowboarding but find that there's only so much you can do, then you have to start doing tricks in a pipe to keep it interesting. j

Where I live, we get about 3 feet of snow per year, but up top, we get about five times that. Or so it would seem.

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Hey Shamus.

I ski, and tried snoboarding once. I had to have the snoboard goofy rigged(left handed?). I hit a bad ice patch and bruised my ass. So I took that back and rented skis. My right leg is weaker than my left, so my turns are a little funny. I have not gone skiing in over four years. I'd like to build a little tone and flexibility for next year. Is Tele skiing the same as Heli skiing? When I last skied, I wore eyeglasses. Since then I had lasix done on my eyes, in part to make skiing more fun. Have fun and be safe dude.

• shamus
    shamus

Darky,

That's cool that you ski! I think we're the only ones on this board!

Snowboarding, learning, well just plain sucks. I was on my ass for 3 days. It hurt... I did a face plant on my third day and I broke my prescription glacier glasses. I was not amused.

Tele-skiing is the same as alpine ski's, only your heel is free. It's attached with cables, and you need to bend down and lift your back heel up to turn... it is, I believe, 50 percent alpine skiing, 50 percent snowboarding. It's like skiing in deep powder only without the effort! You flow through turns with your rythym... it's very hard to learn at first, but man oh man, it's the only way down a mountain unless it's really really steep.

My boards are fat - very fat. They're made only for big powder... and not icy crappy ski-hills.

You have to get up here and come hiking/skiing.

I live 3 hours from Kamloops; right beside the highest peak in the Rockies.

• franklin J
    franklin J

I ski; never tried snowboarding--looks like fun.

The North Eastern portion of the US has many good ski areas

• Xena
    Xena

I tried skiing once. It was interesting....lol being hauled like a sack of potatos off the ski slope when you fall off the lift isn't my idea of "good fun"

I'm not real "sporty" can you tell???

• closer2fine
    closer2fine

I ski (live in the Rocky Mountains now!)

I'm going to try snowboarding in a few weeks.

closer

• simplesally
    simplesally

Okay...How many of you ski or snowboard?

Because I do.

Nope..........don't ski because you do.

My parents taught us to ski when I was very young. Then they put my sister and I in a club and we skiied every Saturday where we had lessons for 4 hours and then free ski time for 4 hours. Anyway, I am so glad that they did that because this year I will take my daughter skiing again. Last year, we just brought her up for snow play and did put her in boots and skis, but she didn't like the heaviness of the skis. She loved it when I held her in my arms and skiied down the mountain.

I have no desire to try snowboarding. I love to go up the mountain on the chair lift and then fly down the mountain .......cold air on my face. I like it steep and love moguls. Before, I had a hard time with moguls but about 15 years ago, my girlfriend, who grew up in Switzerland, refused to ski with me if I didn't do the runs she wanted to. She told me I had the ability (gosh, I'd lessons all my life) but needed to conquer my fear. Thanks to her, I did and enjoyed skiing even more. Still won't go off jumps on purpose, though.

• Erich
    Erich

Simon:

Thanks. The Login runs well now again after long time,-)

Besides: I like skiing. I`m living near alpine regions in Europe.

erich

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I learned how to ski about 3 years ago...and I am hooked !!Been to Mammoth and Mt. Shasta. Unfortuantly I live near the coast in sunny California and don't get to go very often. Thinking about moving closer to the mountains....just love that sport...what a blast!!

• rem
    rem

I snowboard. I've never ski'd, though I've tried those little tiny ones before. I go to Tahoe a few times a year and I've been to Whistler and a couple places in Utah. I'm going to Vail next week. Yay!

But I'm pretty conservative. I'm all about the scenery and the hot chocolate down at the lodge. :) If I'm feeling adventurous I'll pick up some good speed or try some small jumps, but basically I just try to keep from breaking any bones.

BTW steep treeskiing runs (basically no real trail) are no fun on a snowboard. lol

rem

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit