We should all be dead !!

by Simon 32 Replies latest social family

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    She would open the sun roof put it on cruise control and sit on top of the car(through the sunroof) with her feet steering the wheel. We thougt that was awesome.

OMFG!!!!

Lmao... Yeah... I admit it... I would have LOVED to do that!

** Thinking about buying a car with a sun roof **

• gespro
    gespro

Yeah, I suppose most of this stuff is true and a child will block out the worst horrible memories because it won't survive if it the thinks the world is that horrific. I had a shitty, painful, lonely time myself. Besides, this article smacks of white American Republican male. Who needs this bullshit?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Simon:

...and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes,

That sounds like a line from Jasper Carrot - LOL.
    Surgeon says: "Go and get that eye-puttie-out thing, from Mr's Smith..."

Gespro:

Besides, this article smacks of white American Republican male. Who needs this bullshit?

In contrast to what? Black Russian Communist Female?

It also sounds like working class - middle class Brit.
    I lived in a variety of places throughout Scotland and England, throughout this period. It was the same everywhere, and we loved building sites.

I don't ever recall saying "I'm bored". There was always something exciting to do or explore, with my pals. Sure we got up to mischief, and got a few hidings, but we're still here to tell the tale.

• gespro
    gespro

Hmmmm,Black Russian Communist Female? gespro is thinking...

Seriously, sorry for my roughness but, I think I posted after my wife told me she had received this same article from a friend who's a bit conservative, probably never had any friends of color (until she met me, that is) and didn't have clue about how the rest of us grew up. What can I say, after reading what I wrote It seems I over-reacted.

It's 4:30 am when I'm on here and sometimes I'm in a bad state of mind where I don't understand exactly the context of what's being said. I've actually stopped and erased a post because it didn't make sense. I call it goofy. My doctor says I'm still traumatised. Go figure...

g

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

S'ok
    Sometimes we forget that each of us live in a microcosm of the whole world.

Human's being humans, there's a lot of commonality, and just as many screwups, whatever part of the globe we live in (usually with only a little variance).

I forgot to say - Welcome to the board

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Yep, I clearly remember standing up on the backseat of my mom's '71 Chevy Impala, that was how I travelled! Nowadays, I feel naked without my seatbelt on and am thinking about getting rid of my '92 Toyota because it doesn't have airbags. What a wimp I've become!

It's amazing how much things have changed in my 33 years on this planet. And the rate of change keeps accelerating.

• flower
    flower
    I had a shitty, painful, lonely time myself. Besides, this article smacks of white American Republican male. Who needs this bullshit?

Wow, you were having a bad night eh? Hope you feel better.

Anyway, as a black lower middle class jw family I remember lots of this stuff my self in the 70's. My parents used to pile us all up in the station wagon, which in those days had the back seat facing the back of the car. I dont remember us ever using a seat belt OR a child safety seat in those days. There was always a baby in our house but they were on someones lap and passed around in the car from person to person like it was nothing.

Another thing my mom used to do when we went to the grocery store is she would almost always leave whatever kids she had with her in the car regardless of how little. We never got into anything we just waited in the car. Now it is practically illegal to leave your kid in the car while you run into a store. I once got threatened by someone who said they worked for Child Services when they saw me leave my baby locked in his car seat and run into the conveninence store to get a cup of coffee! That was several years ago and I had no idea it was a big deal. Thats how I grew up. What is a mom supposed to do drag a sleeping infant out of the car and carry him in to get cup of coffee or the paper? When I was growing up everyone would have looked at her like she was stupid if she brought a baby into a convenience store. lol

And as much as I hate to admit it...I miss the days when getting a beating when you did something wrong was just part of growing up. Now its child abuse...my parents would STILL be in jail!

I still cant get over the fact that kids need cell phones and pagers now. When I was a kid you were within the sound of your moms holler unless you had special plans in which case they knew exactly where you were anyway.

Ahhh the good ole days. My father built our 5 bedroom 3 bath house for about what I make in a year.

• gumby
    gumby
    My mom use to keep the milk out on the counter, never put it in the fridge. She believed cold milk was not healthy for us and it never went sour.

My mom kept butter in the cupboard..........no wonder I was bloated and had gas all the time as a kid. Man I wished I'd known about TUMS back then!

Gumby

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

I hear ya, flower. My parents would be in jail today also.When you knew you would get a spanking/beating it put the fear in you..made you think twice about doing something you shouldn't.

Swing by and pick me up elsewhere ,when you get that convertible.Would like to cruise down memory lane.

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I know we all survived but many of "us" did die because of poor safety standards. How many kids had to die before some safety meausre was introduced? (reduced gaps on cribs etc, etc, etc) More than should have!!! But at times I think we have gone from one extreme to the other and I am astonished at some of the legal clauses written on products. (On a packet of toy mice I bought it said, "supervise your pet when playing with this product.")

I don't miss the home I grew up in without an indoor toilet. I don't miss the time when we had no phone, no refrigerator, no central heating. I cannot believe my parents packed themselves and six kids into a sedan (saloon) with two bench seats and no seatbelts. On one trip we had a "puncture" but I found out later that it wasn't the tire. What had happened was that the hub of the wheel sheared off the rim. What would have happened if the car had rolled over in the accident? I don't miss the brutal treatment of kids at school. I don't think it was right for the head teacher to beat a kid with his rubber soled sneaker in his office and then drag him into the classroom and beat him again in front of the class. The kid survived but I don't know if it benefitted him. It sure scared the hell out of me! Was that a good thing?

Sure, unlike when I was a kid, today's kids don't spend as much time outside as we did. But then again, I didn't have anything to do inside. Today's kids have a lot more choice and a lot more things. Is that good or bad? Despite the complaints from my son about our boring neighborhood, (lakes and beaches in walking distance, parks and trails even closer, a quaint nearby old style town a 15 minute bike ride away on a trail, not a road) our lack of every gadget available, (we have one TV and he doesn't have a cell phone) I think he has a better life now and a better start in life than I had at his age. I don't really miss the 'good ole days'.

3rd

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit