We should all be dead !!

by Simon 32 Replies latest social family

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yump! The "good ol' days"....what were we thinkin'??? My g/g/mammy used to go out to the chicken yard every Sunday morning and wring a coupla chickens' necks, bring 'em in and put 'em in boiling water to loosen the feathers for pluckin'....then pluck 'em and cut 'em up for fryin' for Sunday Dinner.....cakes were made from "scratch" and butter was churned at home until they came out with "oleo" which we had to walk down this huge hill to the store on the highway for and had great fun treckin' back up the hill, squishing the yellow color "button" around in the plastic bag the oleo came in till it melted and colored the whole package of oleo....my g/g/mammy's "chamber pot" was off limits and I recv'd a "thimble rappin'" on my head for using it after my cousin scared the bejeepers outa me one night about going out to the outhouse, sayin' there was a huge black taurantula on the seat and NO ONE could talk me into goin' out there after that....I'd rather wet my pants....My girl cousins and I made mudpies outside and played in the rain...and when it wasn't rainin', me and my sisters would turn on the hose and play in the yard, shriekin' with laughter.....we screamed just for the joy of makin' noise, climbed china berry trees, chained necklaces out of clover flowers, wore chameleons clamped on our earlobes for earrings, apothecary jars FULL of home made sugar cookies stood on the floor in front of the bay window in my g/g/mammy's kitchen....and she listened to "As The World Turns" on her radio every day at noon, while perched on a stool at the end of the ceramic tiled kitchen counter, which was never bleached to get rid of the germs, btw....we went barefoot to the chicken yard and coup to gather eggs....and as a teen, I went every Saturday nite to the local Park Canteen, where a live band played 50's and 60's R&R and we jitterbugged up a storm....rarely did anyone have a date, so it was a free for all.....and groups of teens would get in their cars on Friday and Saturday nites and cruise the traffic circle at 11th & College, then cruise the pigstand parking lot, where car hops came and brought burgers, fries, malts and cokes to your cars....or we went to the drive in movie, where mosquitoes DIDN'T eat us alive, and rarely saw the movie, we were so busy socializin' with other teens there or neckin' till the windows on our car fogged up...heheheh

Frannie B

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

** Munching on some lead paint **

Yup... thems was the good'ol days!

• franklin J
    franklin J

interesting perspective on all this....

can you imagine the technical innovations our children will see in their lifetime?

• mouthy
    mouthy

Yes & dont forget I was scrubbing ALL my wash on a scrub-board over the bathtub...With four kids 18 months apart ( or there abouts) Had LOTS of nappies, to wash. No nappies to buy -they were Terry towelling.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    Yes & dont forget I was scrubbing ALL my wash on a scrub-board over the bathtub....

LOL, Mouthy! Me, too! Had ta wash my own pantalones on a scrub board...heh....till we got that wringer washer that I caught my hand in while Mom's back was turned one time....

Frannie B

• bebu
    bebu

No seatbelts for a long time... I remember the station wagon's rear seats being folded down into a huge "floor", and all of us would pile in. That's how mom managed to carry loads of kids everywhere. And we enjoyed it when she came to a sudden stop at any time: we'd all go sliding really quickly up to the front seat (from where we were at the rear window, waving and making "peace" signs at the driver behind us).

Guess we were all more expendable then?

bebu

• talesin
    talesin

There wasn't much TV and people played cards and board games and actually had conversations!

When we watched the News, it was NEWS, not infotainment.

Beer was cheap (well, I just remember that from the 70's, but ...)

You could ask someone at the bus stop for the time of day and they would actually be friendly.

Bacteria was something in a petri dish, not every surface we touched.

But, OTOH,

There was no Kids Help Phone.

Your parents could beat you black and blue and not a thing would be said.

Bullying was acceptable.

Therapy was a shameful thing.

ahhhh,,,,,,,the best of times and the worst of times I've pondered this often, can't make up my mind, to tell the truth.

Good article.

tal

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

LAWNDARTS! Don't forget the lawndarts! Too much fun throwing them at your friends!

I wonder if that where my mom (and every other mom in the world) got the phrase, "It's all fun and games, until someone looses an eye!"

• maxwell
    maxwell

Well as a black guy, I've never had any desire to live in a 1960's America type environment, but from what I hear, there were definitely some good things about that time. Even some of my older family members have fond memories.

The difference in how active kids were then and now is one thing that really stands out to me. Riding bikes all day with no helmet? I've heard of some schools that have banned kids from riding bikes to school now. No way can you let your kid get to school under his own power, by walking or biking. The kid has to ride the bus or shuttled in the minivan even if he only lives a half mile away.

• RubyTuesday
    RubyTuesday

Why we never died in a car wreck is beyond me. For fun my mom (she was so cool...or maybe she was insane) would drive us out in the country in her blue Crysler Cordoba. She would open the sun roof put it on cruise control and sit on top of the car(through the sunroof) with her feet steering the wheel. We thougt that was awesome.

My dad would take us for long drives when he was drunk as a skunk...no seat belts of course!

Ahhhhhh...life was good!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit