"Confessions of a teenage Jesus jerk"

by stuckinarut2 19 Replies latest social entertainment

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Oh christ from the preview that could be my life....right soundtrack, right era, right hairstyles....right guilt filled, naive, disastrous trip into the world.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

@humbled - Being young and growing up JW is the worst. I actually wasn't technically born in, but I was about 8-9 when my mom became a JW and my dad the year after. I'd say that might be even worse than technically being born in. To have to give up so much, family, holidays, friends, etc. at such a young age for such a raw deal may be worse than being truly born in. I don't know, comparing is hard, but it sucked to lose so much so young in exchange for becoming an outcast with even less going for me. Growing up JW sucks no matter how you cut it.

• VIII
    VIII

I just watched it.

The writer did make it seem like the JWs are obsessed with sex. Which, in the realm of sins, they are.

The teenagers getting a copy of Crisis of Conscience was interesting. I don't know what year it came out (can't remember) but, that would have been bold for 17-year olds to read. I doubt I would have tried and I had questions way back before. I wouldn't have bothered.

The Worldly cousin was a little disconcerting.

I was thinking of all the JW stuff that happened growing up (during the same time) and it pretty much mirrored the movie between friends and family. Very weird.

As noted above, you would have to have some understanding of the JW principals to understand what was going on.

And, yes, growing up a JW sucks no matter how you cut it.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Where can you watch it?

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I absolutely hated being a Jehovah's Witness. The teen years were horrible. Absolutely horrible.

I will be watching this movie.

• javierjiminy
    javierjiminy

Dagney, youtube has it currently. It should be the 2nd link if you type out the full title of the movie. If you still can't find it, search for it on xmovies8.cloud

My thoughts on the movie: It surprised me a bit. I came in watching the movie with the expectation that it might be off or inaccurate. However, I'm glad that they got a lot of things right in the movie. For me still a PIMO in the borg, this movie was a chicken soup for my soul. I could relate to many of the characters and the situations displayed. The ending was powerful. I agree with dubstepped on how Gabe wanted to escape reality, and there was no escaping this time. But was stuck to me was the screaming "Wake up" during that scene. If those who are in or sitting on the fence see this movie, no doubt that message will reach them.

I hope I can get my family to see this movie, as well as Apostasy someday.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you javierjiminy. I'll check it out tonight.

The creator is in my FB friends, but I don't know him. I remember he announced it premiering in the SF bay area a few months ago.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

I am so happy I read this thread! And I just finished watching the movie (on Amazon Prime).

The movie captured the teenage JW experience very well. There were only 3 VERY minor nuances that were slightly off: The Uncle saying he would never be a 'good Jehovah' (and the main character repeating the same phrase) and someone saying 'at Kingdom Hall' instead of 'at *the* Kingdom Hall. I can't remember the 3rd, but likewise very minor.

It's hard to believe this movie did not get more coverage here on JWN. Searching this site, I found a few threads about the book from 7-8 years ago but they did not get many comments, either.

This is probably because is uses the term 'Jesus Freak' in the title and XJWs have enough issues of their own with little-to-no-room for Jesus Freak issues.

But this movie is ALL JW.

Well worth the hour and half viewing time. But beware, it may trigger a few emotions.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

I really liked it because it showed what personal,imposing,stupid and irritating questions that Elders can and will ask during a Judicial Committee.
    Also him going to the convention and having a part/demonstration at it was so realistic and true to form for back then in 1983.
    I give this movie 2 thumbs up for daring to go where no one has had the balls to go before in public and talking about stuff that many have issues with or embarrassment to admit that they either did or know someone that did.
    The Sears catalog in the movie made me chuckle because it made me think of another "brother" (JW) that I knew that seemed to like those Catalogs undergarments section a bit too much.
    Here is a 1 minute short vid of the man behind the book and movie himself if anyone wants to know how he feels about being raised a JW.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=311DrbBB0M4

• cyberjesus
    cyberjesus

I watched it with my wife.. she said "what a sad story", but the reality is that was the life of many of us.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit