The Society's Late Sixties Film "HERITAGE"

by gespro 32 Replies latest jw friends

• dannyboy
    dannyboy

Welcome Gespro.

Yeah, I recall seeing "Heritage", it seems to me it was played on a local TV station (sort of a "public service" type thing), and I think it was played at the Kingdom Hall much later as well.

What I remember most about it was that the production values were way down the scale, i.e. it was a bit overdone and corny. But then, it was a long time ago, and some broadcast TV stuff was sometimes like that as well.

One scene sticks in my mind: Teenagers out cruising in a convertible, with at least one of them showing an outstretched arm, holding a beer (well, that's my memory of it anyway)

---Dan

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi gespro, good to hear from you and I hope things will go better for you.

Interesting info, room 215! I've never heard of the movie, thoough I remember the Galfas name.

Forgiveness, in your case, will help you more than the Watchtower. It can release all the feelings of hurt and anger, something more of us might to well to consider. Whyatever it takes to get it behind you is important.

peace,

Randy Watters

Net Soup! http://www.freeminds.org

• willyloman
    willyloman

Missed that film, but did catch the sequel: "Reefer Madness," I think it was.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm too young to remember the film, but welcome to the forum!

We really do have to forgive everyone for the wrongs done to us and follow the Christs example of love.

I have a much different feeling on this issue, and I believe it's better to break things down into small pieces and analyze them seperately. But I won't get into that in this thread.

• Makena1
    Makena1

Yes, I recall seeing it on television. Agree with synopsis, and cannot add much to what others have written. I recall one seen where it showed a family sitting down to a nice meal together - the meal starts off well, then the father finds something wrong - an argument ensues, mom and dad, and older children all yelling with the youngest child holding her hands over her ears?

Room - thanks for the backround of the filmmaker. Didn't know anything about that.

Best regards,

Mak

• why144000
    why144000

From the 1975 yearbook page 232

The motion picture "Heritage," also produced by the Watch Tower Society in 1966, dealt with the various temptations faced by young persons today. However, Angelo C. Manera, Jr., remarks that it showed "what the youth of the New World society were doing and how they were overcoming these temptations and following a Christian course of action." Unique in that it had a sound track, unlike other recent movies produced by the Society, it was shown by many television stations. So, thousands viewed it in their homes. "Heritage" also was presented at circuit assemblies and other public gatherings.

• jws
    jws

IMDB has it listed as 1966, but no info about it:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0233863/

In fact, if you click on the Watchtower's production company, there's a whole list of other titles:

http://us.imdb.com/List?production-companies=Watchtower%20Bible%20%26%20Tract%20Society%20of%20New%20York%20Inc.%20%5Bus%5D&&tv=on&&heading=18;produced+by;Watchtower%20Bible%20%26%20Tract%20Society%20of%20New%20York%20Inc.%20%5Bus%5D

I knew they had videos lately, but there's some going all the way back to 1954. And the "Photodrama of Creation" from 1914, which was more of a slideshow than a movie. That would be interesting to see some of these. It'd probably be like watching old driver's ed films from the 50's.

I wonder how much "old truth" there was? I wonder if it would be helpful to show to JWs. It's one thing to ask a JW to go reading through an old volume where it's boring reading and the old light is buried in mounds of mind-numbing writing. Watching a film is a whole different story. You see it all in an hour or two and the main points are made for everyone to understand.

• Joyzabel
    Joyzabel

I remember that film.

It was done in black & white. They tried to do some "hip" filming for the time period. I was totally embarrassed by that film. But I was young then. Oh well, should have listened to my youthful self.

Joy

edited to add: Welcome to the board gespro

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Dear gespro

I haven't seen the movie but I read the book!

I remember other films we would get shown back in the 60's, they were always quite "special". I even invited a school friend to come along and see one. I can't remember the titles now.

Welcome!

Pope

• minimus
    minimus

Welcome Gespro!!! I don't remember ever seeing this "classic"......My question is, before cable or local access, how did the Society show this on TV???

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit