Mormon South Park!!

by dustyb 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Galimo
    Galimo

>if you were a dub [...]

I have noticed this expression several times on this board.
    Please what does "dub" mean? (The dictionary expanation does not seem to fit with its usage here)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

DUB - Jehovah's Witnesses = JWs (jay double uz) = W (double u) = dub

This is a common contemporary usage. The University of Washington is commonly refered to as the "U Dub," for example.

Pay no attention tothe rumors that "Dub" is the 37th letter of the demonic enochian alphabet used by apostates when they speak in tongues. That's all unproven nonsense.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I know that South Park can be a retarded show,

dustyb ..... retarded ???

The show is obviously not for children so the humor can be directed more towards adults .. I would refer to it more as pithy and irreverent ... but not "retarded."

***** Rub a Dub

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

I love SouthPark...dl the episode now...

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    The show is obviously not for children so the humor can be directed more towards adults .. I would refer to it more as pithy and irreverent ... but not "retarded."

***** Rub a Dub

ooooh Rub a Dub is able to use a thesaurus!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

ooooh Rub a Dub is able to use a thesaurus!

Sorry Spunkchick ...

I really didn't realize that "pithy" and "irreverent" were such uncommon words.

But then, I will take your advice. I guess the content of comments and ideas here should always be developed intellectually in the context of the least common denominator.

Leave no child behind.

***** Rub a Dub

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick

Rub a dub -

dustyb ..... retarded ???

Ew, correcting people to make it sound like your opinion is fact is gross and arrogant. Maybe to dustyb, SouthPark is 'retarded'. Read the definition below, it's definitely applicable for one's opinion.

Main Entry: 1 re·tard
    Pronunciation: ri-'tärd
    Function: verb
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French or Latin; Middle French retarder, from Latin retardare, from re- + tardus slow
    transitive senses
    1 : to slow up especially by preventing or hindering advance or accomplishment : IMPEDE
    2 : to delay academic progress by failure to promote
    intransitive senses : to undergo retardation
    synonym see DELAY
    - re·tard·er noun

Sorry Spunkchick

Why are you sorry? I would be proud having learned how to use a thesaurus and being able to use a variety of words to express your emotions about SouthPark!

But then, I will take your advice.
    Hmmmm, I re-read my post and didn't realize I was giving advice! There's no shame in admitting using a thesaurus! Roget's puts out a great/instructive/elaborate/helpful edition...but I bet you already knew that!
  • Princess
    Princess

Personally, I find use of the word "retarded" to be offensive. We have friends and a family member with Down's Syndrome. So many other words to choose from.

However, I love South Park. I saw the Mormon episode, it's one of my favorites now. Too damn funny. The best part is the chorus during the story of Joseph Smith..."dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb"...changed when the translator's wife questioned the validity of JS translating the golden tablets to "smart smart smart smart smart".

Rachel

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    Personally, I find use of the word "retarded" to be offensive. We have friends and a family member with Down's Syndrome. So many other words to choose from.

I have an uncle who is mentally retarded. I am not offended by that term. Re-read the definition above.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I love South Park, and this is one of the best episodes.

The way Stan lays into the Mormon family at the end is priceless.

"You just put on this big happy act all the time so dumb people like my dad are suckered into joining!!!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit