Mormon South Park!!

by dustyb 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Princess
    Princess
    I have an uncle who is mentally retarded. I am not offended by that term. Re-read the definition above.

I didn't say YOU were offended by it. I said I am.

The definition of the work f*** isn't offensive, but the word is to many, so re-reading the definition means nothing to me. Carry on.

Rachel

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    I didn't say YOU were offended by it. I said I am.

And I was just sharing that I am not offended by that term and also have a retard in the family. Just because it offends you, doesn't mean I will quit using the term, nor should anyone else.

Carry on.

Thanks for your permission, Princess.

• Princess
    Princess
    Carry on.

Thanks for your permission, Princess.

I wrote that because I realized I was hijacking the thread.

I never said you had to be offended by the term. This doesn't have to be a fight. Can't I just state my opinion? Do you have to attack me because I am offended by a term that YOU use? I didn't ask you to defend your position. I don't care about your position, I just said it offends me.

Would you refer to your uncle as a "retard" in front of your grandparents? I think about the parents of mentally handicapped people when someone uses that term. It's insensitive and hurtful. I choose not to use it.

Rachel

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Considering that South Park itself uses the word retard fairly frequently, as well as "fat flaming mongoloid," and various other hysterical ways to demean its characters who are NOT retarded, except for Timmay, who IS retarded and is called such. It's odd that you like South Park but are offended by the use of a word that until fairly recently was a diagnosis.

It's just a word, it's not hurtful unless you mean to hurt somebody with it.

CZAR

• Princess
    Princess

I see your point Czar.

But would you say it in front of someone with a "retarded" child?

The show is so irreverant that I am not bothered by that aspect of it. My point is, I choose not to use the word because I don't want to hurt anyone with it. I'm not saying everyone needs to stop using it and be offended by it. I was simply stating what it means to ME.

I'm not trying to jump all over everyone here. I just wanted to state how I feel. Is that okay with everyone? What you choose to say and do is your business. If you call someone a retard in front of me, I won't even react to it. I simply don't use the term myself.

Everyone understand?

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    It's odd that you like South Park but are offended by the use of a word that until fairly recently was a diagnosis.

Excellent point Czar!

Everyone understand?

I can't speak for everyone, but I understand.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit