New Contract

by Yerusalyim 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I just re-enlisted in the Army today. I now have an indefinite contract...I'm officially a career military hack.

SALUTE

I am an american soldier

I am a warrior and a member of a team

I serve the people of the United States and live the Army values.

I will always place the mission first

I will never accept defeat

I will never quit

I will never leave a fallen comrade

I am disciplined, physically and mentally tough

trained and proficient in my warrior tasks and drills

I always maintain my arms, my equipment, and myself

I am an expert and I am a professional

I stand ready to deploy, engage, and destroy the enemies of the United States of America in close combat

I am a guardian of freedom and the American way of life.

I am an american soldier!

(the new Soldier's creed)

• Valis
    Valis

so do you get a bonus like the guys who decided to stay in Iraq when their tour was up?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Nope, I got a coffee cup, a gym bag, and a shiny new ID card with my Indefinite status reflected on it. Once you're past 10 years, they figure they got ya...I'd have to win the lottery to be able to walk away from my retirement pay check...still trying to get a ride to Iraq or Afghanistan.

• mustang
    mustang

What!!! No "shipping over" bonus for re-upping???

Mustang

• Panda
    Panda

Yeru, Good choice. And you're so right after 10 yrs you'd be nuts not to stay. But I somehow believe that the military creed means more to you than a pension. Just what I think.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Panda,

But I somehow believe that the military creed means more to you than a pension.

That's the nicest thing anyone's said to me in a LONG time...thank you. I wish this were so for all soldiers...may it be true of me.

• little witch
    little witch

Congrats Yeru!

I know you love what you do, and I am sure you do a great job. I hope you guys all get a big fat raise very soon, you deserve it.

lw

• logansrun
    logansrun

If your superior officers ordered you to do something morally wrong would you do it (ie butchering Vietnamese civilians)?

B.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

Bradley,

Nope, nor would most soldiers. Contrary to popular belief this rarely happened in Vietnam. In fact there were fewer atrocities committed in Vietnam (by US personnel) than there was in WWII. Beyond Mai Lai most people can't point to any documented atrocities. Yes, it was an ugly war, but it's been villianized beyond measure. The whole time the War Protestors were calling US soldiers "babykillers" they completely ignored the slaughter of whole villages by the NVA and Viet Cong.

There have been some war crimes committed in Iraq, and they are being punished...though some shouldn't be...(i.e. the Commander who fired off a weapon near an Iraqi prisoners head to extract a confession about future attacks and saving the lives of his soldiers without harming the Iraqi.

Silly question Brad, really silly. Would you knowingly lie or not be forth coming with information to make your point?

• logansrun
    logansrun

Yeru,

It's not a silly question and I'm glad you answered the way you did! As a non-military man I just was curious as to how you would feel about the topic which, although possibly rare, does come up from time to time. I wasn't out to "get you" or something.

Bradley

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit